Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Overwhelmed by smallest social interaction

[gu...]

Hi all, I'm having a new symptom that is freaking me out and wondering if anyone else has had it. When I'm in public, if anyone talks to me I get an awful feeling of overwhelming pain. This is because it seems to stress me and exaggerate  the mental pain I'm already in. This has only happened today but is spooking me a lot! I feel fine when my husb or friend talks to me. Can anyone relate to this?

Thank you -

[kn...]

I truly believe that all of us are condensed energy vibrating at a slow speed. I know that sounds weird, but on the few occasions when I’m out in public (airline terminal grocery store, etc.) just being there causes stress levels to rise, symptoms to increase and confusion. It’s very strange. At those times, I can talk to my wife, kids just fine, but feel like I’m disconnected from myself and surroundings. The only thing that I can surmise is that the energy from everything around is causing some kind of overload in my own system. Bear with me here, my mental health is stable, but this happens repeatedly. 

[Le...]

I have always been a bit socially anxious but when all that other stuff was going on it always hit me much worse like you are describing. I am also very humiliated and depressed from what has happened to my life because of this whole mess. It all adds up. The ego has taken a big hit. 

• Like 1

[Ja...]

Stress and anxiety seem 2 of the triggers to make you feel terrible,that’s a cert I’ve noticed that going out and about.as it settles when I’m back home.

[Kr...]

Me!! All the time. Seems my brain is splitting in half. So hard… 

[Re...]

@[gu...]Absolutely, in fact, this is one of my main issues.  I used to feel physical pain when I had to look someone in the eye, just imagine. And I (used to) work with people... And I know others who have had this very difficult symptom, too. 

Yes, it does get better given enough time, patience and practice. 

Hang in there @[gu...]!! :)

[Ba...]

I am not able to go out in public. The most I do is go in the car while my husband goes in the store. I go outside of my house and maybe take a walk around the block. But I avoid talking to others and I avoid my family. They don’t understand what I’m going through. They just think I mentally ill and need pill. That’s what got me into this ! 

[On...]

1000%. I'm not able to leave my house very often, but it seems everytime I manage to, someone feels the need to try to start a conversation with me. I just immediately sink because of how hypersenstive I am, one social interaction can basically ruin my entire day. It sucks.

[En...]
14 hours ago, [[g...] said:

Hi all, I'm having a new symptom that is freaking me out and wondering if anyone else has had it. When I'm in public, if anyone talks to me I get an awful feeling of overwhelming pain. This is because it seems to stress me and exaggerate  the mental pain I'm already in. This has only happened today but is spooking me a lot! I feel fine when my husb or friend talks to me. Can anyone relate to this?

Thank you -

Yes social anxiety and agoraphobia is a withdrawal symptom. I have this as well. I think it is more prevalent in people who already suffered from social anxiety before benzodiazepine use. This drug seems to exasperate our already instilled phobias. 

[Ba...]

I didn’t have this prior to benzos. But I have it now. Agoraphobia is part of my life. I’m afraid to go out in public , talk to people other than my husband. Go to stores, restaurants. I just stay home, go outside and maybe take a walk 

[Ja...]

I had to go to the shops a couple hour ago,.I’d took my dose half hr before hand,.I ended up talking to someone I knew for 10 mins in there.

then near the end of the conversation bang I was really overwhelmed and cut it short,from going to the checkout,to the car,and drove home,.it took me an hour of lying down to shake it of,not an anxiety attack,just a feeling of being extremely edgy,not nice at all.

[jo...]
2 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

I had to go to the shops a couple hour ago,.I’d took my dose half hr before hand,.I ended up talking to someone I knew for 10 mins in there.

then near the end of the conversation bang I was really overwhelmed and cut it short,from going to the checkout,to the car,and drove home,.it took me an hour of lying down to shake it of,not an anxiety attack,just a feeling of being extremely edgy,not nice at all.

I can relate to this. Not long ago I was getting a haircut. I walked in felt fine. Sat down felt fine. Talked with the woman cutting my hair and felt fine. Until I didn't. The more she talked to me I could feel my heart speeding up. It was at a point where it was beating out of my chest, I felt trapped. I managed to calm it down and get through it but it shook me up a bit. Just out of nowhere.

[Ja...]

Jonwil,..yea like this shit is really touch n go edgy,.years and years back I’ve taken acid etc,.and some of the feelings of withdrawal in public are very close to the really heightened senses of something like that

I’m trying to not let it get in my way and go about my day,but that’s twice recently I’ve been really uneasy outside

• Like 1

[jo...]

Yeah it is a bit trippy when something like that happens. Your right not to let it get in your way. Be as normal as possible until your normal again.

• Like 1