Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Natural Supplements For Benzo Withdrawal

[bl...]
Posted (edited)

What have you tried that worked or didn't work to help with lowering your benzo dosage and the withdrawal symptoms?

I use Ativan for sleep so I've tried Magnesium (Natural Calm, magnesium bisglycinate, epsom salts and transdermal magnesium). The only one that helps sometimes is Natural Calm but sometimes it does the opposite because it contains citric acid. 

I've tried L-Tryptophan which hasn't done much for me.

I've been told to try 5-HTP. Has anyone had any experience with it? When is the best time to take it if you take benzos before bed? I don't want any bad interactions. I once took Tryptophan right before the Ativan and got brain and body zaps for 30 minutes.

I've tried melatonin, 5mg and 10mg. Not sure it did anything but I never used the time-released version which might be more effective.

I've tried CBD oil. Great for pain but didn't do much for sleep or tapering off Ativan.

Other honorable mentions: chamomille tea, valerian, inositol, L-theanine, GABA but I didn't use these for long and didn't know how or when to take them.

I've also tried different diets and eating lots of carbs before bed to boost serotonin.

If you've tried natural supplements/therapies that have really helped you, please let me know.

Also, the benzos don't work as well 1 week before my period. Any ladies know what to do about that?

Thanks! :smitten:

Edited by [bl...]
spelling mistakes

[Ma...]

You might want to use the search bar to get more information on the long list you mentioned.

[Cr...]

Hello @[bl...]

I was always under the impression that no supplements can prevent withdrawal or speedup recovery. At best some supplements 'might' be able to take the edge off of some withdrawal symptoms.

If withdrawal is causing insomnia, something like cbd, melatonin, or magnesium may help to slightly alleviate that. However, it seems you have tried numerous supplements already to no avail.

Even if some members do state what supplements gave them relief, those same supplements may have no effect on you or, even worse, may cause you unwanted side effects or an exacerbation of your symptoms.

'What's great for the goose is good for the gander' is a saying that sadly does not apply to using supplements to aid withdrawal symptoms.