Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Are all benzos as bad as each other?

[jo...]

The longer I'm on here the more I'm starting to think that some benzos may cause more problems than others. For instance Klonopin seems to me to be related with more of the really severe cases than other benzos, and xanax seems to be more responsible for quick dependancy than others. Mabey this is down to them being prescribed more so there's more stories involving them than others, I don't know. or is there some truth in certain benzos being more responsible for difficult withdrawls than others? I'm clearly no expert it's just something I've become curious about whilst being on the forum.

• Like 2

[je...]

I personally don't think one benzo is worse than another. (Except I do think true benzo's are worse than Z-drugs). I don't think one causes more dependency or worse withdrawal than another. There are differences though in their mechanisms of working and in tapering. For some it can be more difficult to taper short-acting benzo's such as Xanax due to interdose withdrawal. This means you're not only dealing with the usual withdrawal but you have to manage interdose withdrawal as well.

Then on the practical side some benzo's are more difficult to taper than others simply because the manufacturers do not produce small doses. Valium for example comes in lower doses while Clonazepam and Xanax that are more potent than Valium are not available in small doses, making it very difficult to make small enough cuts. 

• Like 2

[Le...]

for sure they are different. i think it more is about how people are told to use the different ones and then some about the addictive potential of longer acting ones. the longer acting ones could cause morw addiction even with leas frequent use and some terrible doctors think they have more therapeutic use as peoples behavior on the less mimics drug abuse addiction. its all a bunch on nonsense and all are very harmful whether short or long. the damage is cumulative and  they should just never be used. maybe if you need to stay calm to do radiation treatment on your brain or something where anesthetic isnt an option but really just a bunch of intellectual masturbators willing to take risks on others.  

• Like 1

[Le...]

sorry.  i am recovered enough that i drink every saturday without any noticable effect now and have three finger of bourbon every saturday then come to bitch about these witless assholes and their pseudoscience. sorry again. 

• Like 1

[jo...]

Yeah i guess at the end of the day they can all land you in a world of shit. I also wonder why they create so many different kinds of benzo. I know some are shorter acting designed for panic attacks etc but at the end of the day its all the same thing. Probably just a rebranding marketing thing in truth. All about making more money.

• Like 1

[jo...]
2 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

sorry.  i am recovered enough that i drink every saturday without any noticable effect now and have three finger of bourbon every saturday then come to bitch about these witless assholes and their pseudoscience. sorry again. 

dont be sorry. thats what forums are for:LOL:

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

woo bourbon. fk halfwit people that go into medicine cause they are stable and determined to get respect from DR in front of their name but too stupid for science. sorry you cant do math or physics halfwits. enjoy working with smelly squishy things and using metaphors nonstop cause you cant actually understand anything you study. 

Edited by [Le...]
  • Love 1

[Be...]

They are all different but have same goal and that is to make our life hell. I think these drugs are purposely made for us to be forever unwell so that we keep going hospital and they keep billing us. Most of the time I saw none of the doc has any knowledge how damaging it can be or they want us to get damaged to earn. But to be honest I guess they are very confused which type of drug shud be given when and how long. And afterwards when we go with symptoms and all they just make face like we are crazy or something. That's a reality.

• Like 1

[je...]

I would like to remind participants in this thread to please familiarise yourself with our rules:

You are free to describe the shortcomings in your own medical treatment, but make clear that you are writing about your personal experiences; do not spread general anti-doctor or anti-psychiatric propaganda.

Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine comments

[Le...]

not propaganda. our opinion of a trade that is marketed to people thats cant benefit from it. 

• Love 1

[Le...]
Posted (edited)

i read the link and see the reasoning behind it even though it limits some peoples expression. i will totally let it go. 

Edited by [Le...]
  • Like 1

[je...]
3 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

i read the link and see the reasoning behind it even though it limits some peoples expression. i will totally let it go. 

Thank you. Appreciate your mature response. 

• Like 1

[mr...]

id say Rc benzos are more sinister simply because there is def almost zero research on long term effects of it other than a few people on reddit posting about it.

stuff like bromaz flumaz and all the other rc benzos

• Like 1

[or...]

Maybe they are different in strength for example, and half-life, but I think what it all depends on, is how a person gets off the drug. I mean with the wd sxs.  The worst cases I've read about are cold-turkey experiences.  I have really, someone I consider a good friend here that is doing pretty much an identical taper to mine.  Both of us are doing very well considering the length of use as well as other factors. 

I just can't recommend more than the common sense surrounding a slow, taper.  I don't care if you've been on a drug 2 weeks, I would not recommend a CT, or anything but a slow micro-taper.  I was totally lost when I got to BB and frankly, rather horrified to hear it could take years for me to be rid of the benzo.  Some folks can taper much more, like shorter term users, but each person has to listen to their body to determine what works and starting lower is best because you can always take smaller tapers.  Start to high a percent or a CT you run the high risk of bad wd sxs, oregonlady:hug:

• Like 1

As for me, a benzo is a benzo and if you hit dependence it doesn't matter much which one you been taking, the withdrawal should be the same. Our individual reaction to different benzos must also be considered. 

Sure i've been reading lots about benzo recently, just was interested, and do know that every particular benzo binds with "its own" subtypes of benzodiazepine receptors. And they also vary in potency, half-life, therapeutic actions. I took different benzos:classic_blink: and did notice some variations but the main slow-down effects were always about the same.

• Like 1

[re...]

They are all bad in terms of dependance. But benzos definitely are NOT the same. Ativan is a demon from the abyss. People on here WAY struggle with this one. And I know from personal experience that this benzo seems real gross. Even Ashton talks about this in regards to Ativan I saw her on a you tube vid talking about this particular benzo. 

Valium is way weaker than say Klonopin or Xanax and yes xanax is the choice for true addicts. But valium seems to cause the most histamine issues. Klonopin is more intense and seems to do more in an epilepsy seizure disorder sense as well as Clozapam. These are what Neurologists will prescribe therapeutically. 

Of course addicts will take anything they can get their hands on. But most addicts prefer "bars" of Xanax for it's euphoria effect. Valium just doesn't do this. 

And Ativan is used in emergency rooms for it's super quick effect in stopping seizures cold. But the problem is once this wears off look out. I think Ativan can cause kindling the most. But who knows. This is just an opinion and my own experience as it seems to have a horrible inter jdose withdrawal unlike anything I have ever seen. 

• Like 2