Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Struggling coming off Benzo

[Da...]

I have only just came across Benzo Buddies and it’s because I am at a breaking point. I’m struggling coming off Benzo, my doctors put me on nitrazepam for 8 years 5mg per day then for 2 years 5mg in morning the. 5 mg in the evening. Then - month again they tell me taper off in 3 weeks. Is this right ? I’m struggling, my stomach feels pressure and constantly bloated, my chest hurts with pain and I can’t breath and feel I’m going to collapse. What do I do 

@[Da...], welcome to BenzoBuddies!) So glad you've found us!

Really sorry for your breaking point and struggling. Guess most of us were in your shoes and can understand, advise and support you.

Sure it's wrong to come off benzo in just 3 weeks, especially after taking it for a long time. You need a proper benzo taper to allow your nervous system to adjust to the changes gradually. It's rather crucial. If your doctor isn't benzo wise, as it seems to be the case, i'd try to persuade and kind of educate him/her, showing first of all The Ashton Manual:

https://www.benzoinfo.com/ashtonmanual/ or some other benzo information. And if it doesn't work, perhaps, you can try to find another doctor who will be willing to listen to you.

And, please, try not to be afraid of or panic over what is going on with you physically and mentally. All the symptoms seem to be "just" common benzo withdrawal symptoms and don't mean you're really ill. They are supposed to subside over time. The withdrawal can feel extremely hard that's why a good taper is necessary. I'm sure our other members will soon share their opinion and experience with you. Good luck :classic_smile:

[Da...]

@[...] Thank you so much for this, you have no idea how this has helped me. I never knew the group existed! It’s so scary to read about the similar symptoms, I keep thinking I will have heart failure, or I have cancer or something more serious. I will definitely be going back to the doctors 

• Like 1

@[Da...], you're wellcome) I do hope your doctor will listen to you and agree to withdraw nitrazepam from your body correctly. A smooth dosage reduction helps to avoid severe symptoms, although they might be felt anyway for a while. Don't be afraid. The most recommended taper rate is 5-10% reduction of a current dose every 2-3 weeks but you must also listen to your body and, if anything, change the rate accordingly.

About cancer or a heart failure... You're definitely not alone in fearing this. When it all began for me, i was scared and called ambulance a few times at night. Couldn't guess what was going on. It was dark and scary time full of pain. Luckily it's over. We do recover!)

[En...]
18 hours ago, [[D...] said:

@[...] Thank you so much for this, you have no idea how this has helped me. I never knew the group existed! It’s so scary to read about the similar symptoms, I keep thinking I will have heart failure, or I have cancer or something more serious. I will definitely be going back to the doctors 

I remember the first time I felt my chest was sore my shoulders and down my arms. I read on the internet these symptoms and convinced myself I was having a heart attack or had angina. I called 911 and had an ambulance come to my house. They did a remote ekg and they said it didnt look concerning but I could go to the hospital anyways to get tests done. I went with the ambulance to the ER and took an ekg and had a couple blood tests done. I sat at the ER for 10hrs waiting for results. I was so anxious I couldn't sit down I was pacing. I hadn't eaten all day or drank anything and was feeling so sick. But I waited for my results. Everything came back normal. It was all withdrawal symptoms. I went to the ER because I needed peace of mind. I'm glad I did go even though I suffered horribly that day. Benzos can lie to you and convince you have problems. OCD can be bad too. It is torture.

[TH...]

Just come across this post and I'm suffering the same as you. Having left sided chest pains, stabbing right where my heart is and it's really stressing me out which makes it worse. Only seems to happen more when I eat particular foods or move around too much. It's debilitating. I'm slowly giving up with it all.