Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Paradoxical Effect

I have been on 1 Mg 2 times a day of Klonopin for about 4 years. I got a new MHP and he decided day 1 I was tapering using Diazepam 15mg at night. This drug has the 100% opposite effect on me.

Reaction to diazepam

-High anxiety

-Feeling extremely overstimulated

-Nausea

-ringing and pain in Both ears

-cold sweats

-constant uncantrollable need to move

-depression

-feeling hopeless

-Triggers an intractable migraine

-dry mouth

This is after one dose. I can not tolerate this transition over months to titrate. Why can I not titrate off of the Klonopin the same way? Why demand I move to a drug I cant tolerate?

Thanks Bee

[Re...]

Hello @[...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I am really sorry you are experiencing these very uncomfortable symptoms. 

If your transition has been so sudden, that might very well explain your symptoms. The Ashton Manual details tapering with slow transitioning to diazepam, so does The Maudsley Depescribing Guidelines. If you look up the Ashton manual, you will see it would take months for your initial clonazepam to be converted to diazepam. It is important to mention that this transition is not ideal for everyone, some do not tolerate it well. 

As you mention, many people taper directly from clonazepam, too, with a preferred taper method.  The recommended taper speed is no more than 5-10% of your previous dose every two or three weeks.

I believe, however, that you currently suffer from the acute withdrawal effects from clonazepam as well. 2 mgs of clonazepam would equal about 40 mgs of diazepam (equivalence table), but your reduction has been way bigger. The symptoms you detail are typical signs of benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. 

I think it is worth getting informed about the topic with the links I provided and maybe discuss this with your prescriber. The Ashton Manual is in printable format, the Maudsley Depescribing Guidelines can be purchased from Amazon, so you might show these publications to him. If you need help with proper tapering, we have a wonderful Taper Strategies section. 

Take care,

RR

• Like 2

[Kr...]

I HATED diazepam. It’s a tricky drug. I suffered through the entire tapes and it did make me feel worse. Should have stayed on Xanax.

it probably isn’t a good drug for you. I had paradoxical effects on it and wished would have not listened to people when I wasn’t doing well in it and told me to keep holding. Glad to be off that pill.

• Like 1

I am forced to use the VA for care. I had serious health issues that include severe chronic migraine. I was put on every drug under the sun for migraine prevention and abortive care. SSRI's were the first they had the same effects as the diazepam. Horrible same hyper sensitivity and increased migraines. They tried adivan haliperodohl ........ Just about every anti psychotic and antidepressant there is all affected me the same. I was in the ER weekly if not a few times a week for a couple of years. Then my PCM gave me Klonapin and my life started returning to me. I have been on the same dose since and honestly I miss my morning dose most days and I will let it ride till I feel it wearing off in a couple of days. I hate being attached to this drug but as sick as I was before this drug I am not sure what is a worse fate returning to illness to get off the med or just take it until my life comes to its natural end. Chronic illness is horrible. I  had one mini stroke and 1 heart attack and dozens of bouts of pneumonia before I was ever put on this drug. Then 2 years after my heart attack I had another heart attack. I just want somewhat of a normal life till my time is up.