Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What to do to avoid kindling

[Ma...]

Iam currently tapering benzo 

i was repeatedly exposed to Benzodiazipines 2 times what is the factor help me to avoid kindling and what should I do to avoid severe withdrawal symptoms including akathisia currently taking . 800g of klonopin 

[or...]
Posted (edited)

Hi mallu,

I've heard that kindling happens when we stop a drug, and then reinstate.  It becomes harder and harder to taper off, or even Cold Turkey.  I may be wrong about that, but I'll see if I can find more info for you.

For now, I just wanted to let you know I saw your post and wanted to help.  I do take Clonazepam/klonopin, so I can relate to that part for sure.  I'm tapering very slowly, you can see my taper history here if you like:

https://benzobuddies.org/profile/243292-[or...]/?tab=field_core_pfield_34

I think tapering very slowly, even lower than recommended typical amount of 5% to 10%, and listen to your body to determine how your taper will work for you, or not.  So I taper just 3% right now, and then I hold that dose until I feel stable, which is at the least for me, about 10 days.  Every one is different though so you have to decide how you can still function, and have quality of life, oregonlady :hug:

PS I don't think it is possible to avoid symptoms altogether, but a slow taper has worked wonders for me.  I see too many go too fast at a taper, or worse, do a cold turkey.  So to avoid that, I go slow, it works for me ;)

PSS I don't know about this Kindling definition, but found it on Pub Med site:

Kindling is a phenomenon in which a weak electrical or chemical stimulus, which initially causes no overt behavioral responses, results in the appearance of behavioral effects, such as seizures, when it is administered repeatedly.

Edited by [or...]

[Ma...]

@@[or...] 

Thank you dear for giving me valuable information i hope you will win the race soon did you ever experienced derealization from klonopin 

• Like 1

[or...]
2 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

@@[or...] 

Thank you dear for giving me valuable information i hope you will win the race soon did you ever experienced derealization from klonopin 

Not sure what that mean, derealization? Is that like nothing seems real maybe?  If so, I haven't experienced that one, yet ;) oregonlady PS And you are welcome, plus I hope the same for you on your journey :)

[je...]
9 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Iam currently tapering benzo 

i was repeatedly exposed to Benzodiazipines 2 times what is the factor help me to avoid kindling and what should I do to avoid severe withdrawal symptoms including akathisia currently taking . 800g of klonopin 

Here is some information on kindling. You can only avoid future kindling. If you have a history of stopping and starting benzos there’s nothing you can do about it. But it also doesn’t mean you are necessarily going to experience kindling. It just means there’s a possibility. 

The best way to manage your symptoms is to taper slowly. We recommend cuts of no more than 5-10% every two weeks. Some people need to go slower based on symptoms. This doesn’t mean you’ll be able to avoid all symptoms, just that you’ll hopefully stay functional.

• Like 2

[Cr...]

As far as I am aware kindling isn't from daily use. It is from starting a med, using for awhile, recovering from that use, and then introducing that med back into your body again.

If you have been on Klonopin regularly you don't need to worry that each dose is slowly kindling you. Tolerance would be a more likely issue in this case.

This is why they say binge drinking is worse than daily drinking. Your body is constantly switching back and forth between two states. I know several alcoholics that drank up to a 6 pack a night for a decade or more and stopped or weened off with little trouble.

I had 1 year of mild binge drinking (3 nights a week) while also on Klonopin, and a 2nd year of heavy binge drinking (3 to 4 nights, more beer) after I quit klonopin. My recovery was not smooth at all and I had many valleys and a few peaks. I basically committed kindling with my sporadic alcohol binge (until drunk) use.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 24/05/2024 at 22:08, [[C...] said:

As far as I am aware kindling isn't from daily use. It is from starting a med, using for awhile, recovering from that use, and then introducing that med back into your body again.

If you have been on Klonopin regularly you don't need to worry that each dose is slowly kindling you. Tolerance would be a more likely issue in this case.

This is why they say binge drinking is worse than daily drinking. Your body is constantly switching back and forth between two states. I know several alcoholics that drank up to a 6 pack a night for a decade or more and stopped or weened off with little trouble.

I had 1 year of mild binge drinking (3 nights a week) while also on Klonopin, and a 2nd year of heavy binge drinking (3 to 4 nights, more beer) after I quit klonopin. My recovery was not smooth at all and I had many valleys and a few peaks. I basically committed kindling with my sporadic alcohol binge (until drunk) use.

I kindled from single doses after succesfully tapered slowly and being off. Took like five, each of them weeks appart, til one of those triggered severe withdrawl with symptoms i never had before and going on now after 6 months since the fatal dose and getting much worse. I think of reinstating every second but paralized as very scared of the outcome given what happened: next day of taking that dose i woke up with tinnitus and felt completly different like a switch was off in the brain, my self was gone and it developed to more severe mental and physical issues. 2 months later and out of desperation i stupidly took another benzo dose because i thought what i was having was from a single AD dose i also took that day. That dose had a calming effect for many hours, though not like before, it increased the lobomy feeling but eased some issues and i was able to do a little bit more. Little that i know it would get much worse than before after that calming effect, and then i knew it was the benzo. Another level of damage has been going on and counting. My whole body changed, mentally ill as well, cant be anywhere or do anything, cant be in bed, cant pace, cant even stand on my feet being a statue anymore as my heels are broken, cant even describe properly what is going on, very different of what i see in the groups. Cant make myself reinstate the benzo because the fear of what can happen controls me, but cant go on like this as well. I think this paralising fear is part of the mental symptoms too, i wish i could make myself just take it. My CNS is very damaged and it controls me, its not me in control. Losing the litlle ability i still had before this second dose. Was perfecly healthy before this. Would it really be wise to reinstate given what specifically happened? Thanks.

Edited by [...]