Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Sick with respiratory virus

[La...]

Im 4.5 months off of benzos and just got sick with some respiratory virus. I hope it's not covid.

My throat is very sore and I am extremely congested. I don't know what to take to relieve it. I know there are drugs that can make withdrawal symptoms worse, like prednisona, and should best be avoided. I took some nimesulide and loratadine and it didn’t helpt at all.

Its 4AM and I can't fall asleep and I have to be at work tomorrow. I can feel myself going into panic mode.

Apparently this is going to be my first time getting sick with a serious virus (I had a very mild virus in February). Does anyone have any advice on how to get through it?

[Re...]

Hello @[La...], I am really sorry to hear that you get infected by a virus. I know personally that it can mess with our symptoms.

People tend to tolerate paracetamol as I read on the forums, I have been able to take that, too. I personally used ginger tea every day anyway, used sea water nasal drops (spray), and I was able to consume propolis and honey (but be aware of the sugar content). Island moss is also a remedy many use, I had no issues with it either. 

I personally had success using chlorhexamed, too (it is an antiseptic, often used as mouthwash). In some countries available in various forms (sucking tablets). 

People use some first generation antihistamines successfully, but I don't suggest that you take these as they will most likely make you too drowsy and sleepy. 

You will be fine @[La...]! :) Eat well, rest well when you can, consume enough liquids.

• Like 1

[Bu...]

Hi @[La...],

I'm sorry you're sick.  I recently got over a virus.  I took the advice of my fellow buddies and tried warm baths with Epsom salts and it really helped with sore muscles as well as soothing my throat and sinuses (all that humidity). I don't tolerate decongestants, so I used a netti pot to clear my sinuses.  Hot tea and warm milk were also very soothing.

I hope you feel better soon. ❤