Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency Ă—
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! Ă—
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I need some positive reinforcement please 🙏

[Mh...]

Hello buddies, 

I’ve shared my story on here before but quick summary I was prescribed Xanax 1mg nightly for insomnia by my doctor which I never abused or took more than 1 pill a day. I crossed over to Valium taper due to tolerance withdraws. Started on 20mg and now down to 10mg. I have been tapering for about 9 month now. I have had all the typical withdrawals symptoms such as insomnia , panic attacks, benzo belly, etc. but the main symptom that’s delaying my taper is this weird LPR/ acid reflux that has damaged my teeth and gave me gum disease/ periodontal disease. I’ve been trying to control it as much as I can but acid escapes and damage my teeth. I had a hiatal hernia surgery which improved it maybe 30% but it’s still there. I’m going to keep on fighting and get off this poison. I just need some encouragements. How can I stay positive knowing that some of my symptoms are permanent such as periodontal disease and teeth loss? How can I keep going knowing it’s getting worse and there is nothing I can do about it but endure the pain and possibly lose more teeth? This is my worst nightmare and it’s actually happening to me. I can’t stop crying. I lost my job and girlfriend over this. it’s unfair especially the fact that when the doctor prescribed me the meds, he didn’t inform me that this could happen . Thanks y’all!

mhowash 

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)

I would focus on getting off the Valium and recovering before worrying about your teeth. My brother and his girlfriend (at the time) were in a car accident and she lost most of her teeth at the young age of 19. She later got either implants or dentures and she looked just like she had before the accident.

In the meantime, what all have you tried for the bad acid reflux? Medication-wise.

Have you tried changing your diet cutting out acidic foods like tomatoes? Sweet potatoes are supposed to be good for acid reflux diet. Ginger is excellent as well, as is small amounts of apple cider vinegar. Try not to eat 4 hours before sleep and try sleeping in a more upright/inclined position.

I hope that as you continue your taper this problem improves. It amazes me how much benzos affect the upper and lower (gut) brain so much. You have lost quite a bit (gf, job, teeth) but you can gain a job and your teeth back after you recover. There are much better women out there and once you have your confidence back you can get back into the dating game.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 1

[Mh...]

Thank you so much replying and encouraging me to keep on going. I really appreciate sharing that story with me as well!

I sleep upright every night and don’t eat past 6pm. I’ve been eating nothing but greens to minimize the acid. I drink ginger water and apple cider vinegar all the time. It’s just so severe I also tried all anti acid meds but eventually tapered off of those because they gave me problems like indigestion. I just have to keep going until I get off and hopefully the lower I go the better it will get. I really want to thank you for your positive feedback. Reading your message gave me so much hope and confidence.  Thank you so much! 

mhowash 

[Ho...]

Hi @[Mh...], the diet your describing would have made my gut insane, because all that hydrochloric acid has no buffer. I'm not a dietician but I did have a terrible time earlier on with eating and digesting. My gut hurt all the time and I was swimming in acidity. I was actually trying to follow a special diet and wouldn't you know, my brain won't pull the name up now. Can't even google it. But when I finally lightened up on it, a lot of my issues calmed down. It took a couple of weeks though.

But I suspect your diet is making it worse. Greens, ginger and vinegar might be all you can safely get down, but it's not all your body needs. Maybe find one thing your body can also tolerate that's more balanced and has enough heft to give your stomach acid something to do, like oatmeal. Rice. Soba noodles. 

There also is something you can put on your teeth for dry mouth that might have some nighttime benefit for your teeth and acid issue. Xylimelts Dry Mouth Tablets or Biotin Mouth Rinse. I don't know if they'd help but they protect your teeth when you don't have enough saliva. They may offer some protection against acid. Also probiotics are helpful to strengthen enamel and help repair it. 

I know you are probably hyper-sensitive to a lot of things, but I thought I'd at least come up with a laundry list of possibilities for you to consider. I want you do feel better so badly! You'll get through this, you really will; just one day at a time and do what you can. It's all anyone could ask, and it sounds like you're already doing it!

Warmly,

HCHC