Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

anyone here cant watch tv, computer, or their phone

[so...]

anyone here have this problem? when I watch them they rev up my symptoms like Ill get pins and needles all over me, or get a bad headache, or get bad anxiety or super fear or OCD!!:cry: What things happen to you guys when you try to watch tv, computer, or your phone

[Re...]
23 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

anyone here have this problem? when I watch them they rev up my symptoms like Ill get pins and needles all over me, or get a bad headache, or get bad anxiety or super fear or OCD!!:cry: What things happen to you guys when you try to watch tv, computer, or your phone

@[so...]For months, I was unable to watch TV, listen to music, read, or engage in any enjoyable activities due to severe pacing akathisia. The only way I could pass the time was by using voice-to-type and watching social media videos on my phone. Suddenly, at 10.5 months off of everything, I started getting headaches when looking at the computer, something that never happened before despite working on computers extensively. I'm trying blue light glasses to alleviate the headaches. I've heard from one other person who also experienced worsened symptoms from technology use. While I haven't delved deeply into research on this, I'm sure someone on here has.

[Le...]

lots of us experience this. i was never sure if it was from trying so hard to focus on something when that was impossible or if the extra sensory input was messing me up. 

i have a feeling it is sort of similar to how it triggers some epileptic people. that sensory input can have a strange effect and even trigger seizures in some people. 

it goes away in time. 

• Like 2

[He...]

I have this problem as well. When I first was off clonazepam, I couldn't bear to look at the TV and I didn't use the computer at all. It's been since the end of October since I stopped taking the medicine and now after many months, I can watch the TV. Not all day because then out of no where, I will feel dizzy but it's much improved.

I'm typing this on my laptop. I've been pushing myself to use it during the week for 2 hours a day. When I push myself too much, say 4 hours- I feel quite sick and dizzy. The feeling like I'm on a boat really sucks. I know it'll get better with time. 

• Like 1

@[He...], hi! Welcome to BenzoBuddies:classic_smile: My congratulations on your getting over the benzo mess. Me too) No pushing ourselves too much, I absolutely agree. Everything will come back in due time.

Thank you for your positivity! We all do need it.

Please, feel free to post here freely from now on and make buddies. Good luck to you!)

• Like 1

[He...]

Thanks Kate! I am still dealing with dizziness and a few other symptoms but I am much better off than I used to be. I've been reading the forum for months now but wanted to join to post.

• Like 1

@[He...], so you're about 7 months off benzo, right? That's just great and i'm really glad your improvements are so obvious) How long were you on clonazepam?

What about talking on the phone? For me, it was a real torture a few months ago. When i heard it ring i felt panicky and was always in doubt whether i really needed to talk to anyone who was calling. 

[jo...]

I had this problem, still do to a degree but it's much improved. I could barely look at the tv, or my laptop, or even a newspaper. It didn't matter how inane the image or sound was, it would bother me in a way that I cant even really explain. It wasn't like the lights were to bright or the sounds were to loud necessarily, it was like it was bothering me on some kind of emotional level. Really weird. I would click from one you tube video to another or one web page to another because within seconds of looking at it somthing about it was bothering me. Just hyper sensetive to everything.

[Le...]

it maybe a bit comforting to know that people who never used benzos but are very anxious have this issue also. it is most likely something that will go away

@[He...], the same for me. Was prescribed to treat insomnia and also had troubles with my laptop due to benzo. Couldn't use it except for watching series at night, although hardly following a plot at my worst time. Since i'm "older" in the withdrawal and can use the laptop freely now, i'm sure, you'll do it too and, guess, pretty soon. You've already made such progress. Just, as you say, no pushing. It'll come by itself.

Is it possible for you to take your time and allow your nervous system to recover further without hurry? I think it must be really stressful on you to apply for a new job right now. I really hope and believe your recovery is somewhere round the corner🙂

• Like 1

[He...]

@[...]Yes, at the moment my husband is pretty understanding. There are moments though where I know I look 'normal' but he doesn't understand how I went from many hours on a laptop to struggling to use it.

I have been making myself go out and drive. Not long distances, just to the supermarket. I decided last week to drive over to another city and then had a panic attack in a Walmart parking lot because I felt so much fear about having to drive back home. I have a doctor's appointment next week (outside of benzos) and it's not far distance wise but the anxiety I feel about it is through the roof. 

I don't know how to fully explain this to my husband when I just drove to another town on my own. A doctor's appointment right now feels overwhelming. The smell of the office, the waiting, it feels horrible :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

@[He...], yes, sure. Even our dearest and nearest will never understand us to the full but... I guess it's blessing for them bc the only way to really understand is to go through benzo withdrawal for themselves. Would never like them to. Your husband seems to be caring and a comfort to you. That's great enough!

Wow, driving... Have you been able to drive all along? Anticipation anxiety? There were threads about it here. Lots of people in our shoes experience it. When the time comes, i think you'll manage!)

[jo...]

I get worried about making appointments etc too. Am I gonna be ok that day, is the place gonna be busy, will I react to the dental anasthetic etc etc etc. Life is starting to feel like a bit of a mine field. I make as few plans as possible at the moment. I'm starting to think in terms of how can I organise my life in such a way that I have to deal with as few people as possible, and avoid having to walk through the mine field. It's not easy.

• Like 1

[En...]
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, [[H...] said:

@[...]Yes, at the moment my husband is pretty understanding. There are moments though where I know I look 'normal' but he doesn't understand how I went from many hours on a laptop to struggling to use it.

I have been making myself go out and drive. Not long distances, just to the supermarket. I decided last week to drive over to another city and then had a panic attack in a Walmart parking lot because I felt so much fear about having to drive back home. I have a doctor's appointment next week (outside of benzos) and it's not far distance wise but the anxiety I feel about it is through the roof. 

I don't know how to fully explain this to my husband when I just drove to another town on my own. A doctor's appointment right now feels overwhelming. The smell of the office, the waiting, it feels horrible :classic_unsure:

You are not alone here with this feeling. A car ride can rev up symptoms. Anything that we are in or hold that has vibration will rev out symptoms. I cut my grass the other day and I felt absolutely horrible afterwards. I am currently in a bad withdrawal as I am down to my last 0.25mg clonazepam from 2mg a day. I am feeling every cut more than the last. I go to the Dr every 2 weeks and I can say some of the visits are horrible. The waiting room and the people and talking about what I am going through with my Dr is all stressing. They have a pharmacy in the waiting room and I hear the pharmacist dispensing pills and it drives me crazy. I hate that sound when I am in bad withdrawal. I try not to taper when I have a Dr appointment close but with appointments every 2 weeks it is hard. In the beginning of my taper I had bad akathisia I couldn't sit down. It was torture being in the waiting room. I had to stand up and pace in a small hallway in the office. I'm sure I looked nuts. People do not understand what we are going through including my Dr. It is torture that lasts a long time. Yes it gets better but it seems like a lifetime when you go through it. 

There is a Dr that went through benzodiazepine withdrawal and she recovered. She started a blog about withdrawal and gives some good information as she went through it herself. She went on a long car ride to another city and got really bad withdrawal symptoms even being off benzo and feeling better. She had to leave her blog for many months while she recovered. Vibrations and being in a confined space with no sense of escape or sense of safety can cause anxiety. That worries me as I have been tapering since February and it was going well. Now it is getting harder. I was hoping to be done my taper by next month but now I dont think so. If I am done next month I may not be able to go back to my normal life anytime soon. 

Edited by [En...]
  • Love 1

[En...]
14 hours ago, [[j...] said:

I get worried about making appointments etc too. Am I gonna be ok that day, is the place gonna be busy, will I react to the dental anasthetic etc etc etc. Life is starting to feel like a bit of a mine field. I make as few plans as possible at the moment. I'm starting to think in terms of how can I organise my life in such a way that I have to deal with as few people as possible, and avoid having to walk through the mine field. It's not easy.

I'm  not going to the dentist until I am better or if I have to. It is hard to be out in public when I feel like this. Going to my family dr is stressful enough. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[da...]
On 22/05/2024 at 07:40, [[s...] said:

This is normal i remember experiencing this in early recovery 

[He...]
8 hours ago, [[E...] said:

In the beginning of my taper I had bad akathisia I couldn't sit down.

Yes!! This is one of my worse symptoms! I feel tired and yet my body wants to go 90 MPH.

29 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

I've been driving for a few months. During the end of my taper- I stopped driving completely. It was over 2 months where I barely got out of bed and I didn't go hardly anywhere. My husband is using PTO to take me next week, thank God (y)

@[He...], oh!) I'm so glad for you:classic_smile: Your husband is a treasure!

You're definitely getting better judging by the condition you were in and what you are now. My milestone was in the 9 month of wd. Guess you'll soon spend all the time you want typing on your laptop, just don't overdo it!)

• Love 1

[Ba...]
On 26/05/2024 at 09:44, [[E...] said:

I'm  not going to the dentist until I am better or if I have to. It is hard to be out in public when I feel like this. Going to my family dr is stressful enough. 

I’m with you. I’m not going to the dentist either. I don’t want to go out in public. 

• Love 1

[Go...]

I had this very bad last year.   I would be sitting in a room with a bunch of people and I have to shut my eyes, and place my fingers in my ears to keep from seeing or hearing the tv, at times even comments and actions from others.  I must have looked like a 5 yr old going through a temper tantrum, but it all scared me.  Now Im able to watch almost anything without a bother.  Some things do still get me upset though.  Im at 15+ months off of 21 yrs of Klonopin.  Anywhere from 1.5mg-7mg a day over the years.