Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need help

[Cr...]

Hi I have been struggling I am taking 30 mgs of daizpam and can't seem to cut , feeling horrible tired,  can't breath when I wake up in a panic , can anyone help 

Hi, @[Cr...], welcome to BenzoBuddies! We're very glad you've found us! It's much easier to go through the benzo ordeal if you do it along with others experiencing the same hard time.

I do feel for you and understand what it's like. Was there too. I'd like you to share some more information for BB members to give you better support and advice. Could you say how long you've been on diazepam, how  often you've been taking it? Other drugs?

The good news is it's all really manageable. People do recover! Good luck to you!)

[Cr...]

Hi I've been taking them on and off for 10 years I got down for 70 mgs to 30 myself and really feeling withdrawal,  thanks for your reply 

• Like 3

@[Cr...], when did you start your taper? Have you been tapering off of diazepam steadily? What rate? I mean what redactions (%) and how often? Have you been taking diazepam daily while reducing its dose?

All your symptoms seem to be common and expectable during withdrawal. However awful it feels, they are "just" symptoms and will subside over time. I know it doesn't help much when we're actually suffering but this knowledge helped me personally no end.

I do believe a proper consistent taper will be of help to you. And we can try to advise you here. Don't give up, pls!

[Cr...]
1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Hi I've been taking them on and off for 10 years I got down for 70 mgs to 30 myself and really feeling withdrawal,  thanks for your reply 

Welcome to BB Craig! You should be proud of how far you have come down from your original dose.

How long ago was your last cut?

What rate were you cutting from beginning up to this current point?

And what dose did the symptoms start to get really bad?

[Cr...]

I started tampering in February,  I was cutting 10 mg every 2 weeks but I have stuck on 30 mg for a month , I take 20 in the morning and 10 at night but they don't seem to be working , I'm not sleeping and struggling with work getting really depressed it's horrible,  thanks for replying 

@[Cr...], you must be really tough to be able to work in this state! Sure it's adding stress and fatigue to you.

I've tried to calculate your taper. It seems you were doing faster than classically recommended (5-10% reduction in 2-3 weeks) The percentage is calculated out of each current dose. Like

first cut by 7mg (10% of 70mg)

next cut by 6.3mg (10% of 63mg - a current dose after the first reduction); etc.

Did you feel functional and stabilised on 40 mg? I guess it was your previous diazepam dose, right?

[Cr...]

Hi Kate,  I felt stabilised on 40 mg and was fine on 30 for a few weeks , now I'm not sleeping getting anxious,  can't breath when I wake up in the morning,  I work in construction but I am struggling but need to work , thanks for your reply Kate 

@[Cr...], hi again) I think it's explicable why the withdrawal hit you a few weeks later after the last cut. Guess bc diazepam has a long halfe live. I had it about the same when i cut my benzo in half over night. Didn't know it was a bad idea then. The withdrawal strack me about 3 weeks later. Literally strack and hold.  

I think, first off all, you need to stabilise on a dose, and then taper off of benzo. Steadily! About 5-10% reduction every 2-3 weeks. In my opinion, right now you can try to wait and stabilise on 30 mg, you probably will, or updose to 40 mg and stabilise there. Not sure atm. Do you take any other medications?

Hope other members will  stop by and give their advise. I'll also think of it further but i'm not an expert, just someone of a similar experience. Just don't get desperate, ok? Everything will get better!)

[Cr...]

Thanks Kate I think I am going to go back up to 40 mg and hold for a while , thanks for your help 

@[Cr...], i've been thinking it over. Honestly, i'm against updosing in general but 've learned to be more flexible bc sometimes it really works. Not always and often not at once. 

As for me, it didn't help but i was completely miserable due to benzo tolerance. You don't seem to have hit severe tolerance and, i guess, can take the chance. 

My withdrawal rescuer was an antidepressant... It didn't cover most of my symptoms but made it all feel bearable. I don't recommend it, just one of the options.

If you're to up-dose, please, don't wait too long after being stabilised to begine the tapering in a proper (!)) way. Benzo is such a thing which is better to stay away from, really. 

I'm always glad to help you, Craig, please, ask if you need anything else. Really want you to get better and soon:classic_smile:

• Like 1

[An...]

Hi Craig and welcome to BB.

I am curious. You are taking the valium for anxiety, correct. How much did you start taking in the very beginning? You said you got up to 70 mgs. Most US docs will not Rx you that much Valium. Was one doctor prescribing you this much at one point or were you getting it off the black market?

[Cr...]

Hi Kate I don't really want to up dose but I feel like am having a break down , I'm worry I'm not going to be able to work in getting paranoid and anxious about everything, thank you it means a lot 

• Like 1

[Cr...]

Hi anti benzo I live in Scotland the doctors don't like prescribing valuim here, I was taking it for anxiety and getting it off the black market 

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)

Craig I agree with @[...]'s sentiment in regards to updosing. If your symptoms stayed at the same intensity as they are now without getting worse would you still be able to work? If so, maybe don't updose. If you don't think so you may benefit from returning to 40 mgs where you were stable, except this time go slower.

With your metabolism, it seems like 3 weeks is when you feel the cuts. Once you stabilize on 30 (or an updose to 40) proceed with your taper and do no more than a 10% cut and hold for 3 weeks. If your new baseline after 3 weeks is 'tolerable' then proceed with your next 10% cut.

Even following this general guideline there may come times where you may want to only do a 5% cut, or hold longer than 3 weeks. Let your body be your guide, but understand that you probably won't be 100% symptom free until you are well off this med.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 1

[An...]
2 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Hi anti benzo I live in Scotland the doctors don't like prescribing valuim here, I was taking it for anxiety and getting it off the black market 

Did you cut 10mgs at once 

[Cr...]

Hi crono,  I was having to take days off works I will go with the reductions your recommended, thanks for your help mate

[Cr...]

Hi anonymous,  yes I was cutting 10 mg at a time