Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Compounding Pharmacy - Liquid to dissolve Clonazepam

[LL...]

I talked my psychiatrist for my husband (who has dementia) to put in a script for liquid Clonazepam.  In using it I find that what it comes in is an oil solution which does not dissolve.  It sinks to the bottom.  Even with shaking it just seems to settle quickly to the bottom.  I did not realize this for the first month and was giving my husband  mainly oil - and he had an axiety attack a couple of times since.  I have not emptied the contents into a small bowl and I use the backend of a chopstick to mix it.  Again though it settles quite quickly. What solvent (not sure if that is the right term) does everyone else's pharmacy use for their liquid Benzo?  I would think it should be distilled water or something similar?

[Ct...]

How unfortunate for your husband and you. I do not have an answer for you, but I hope someone familiar with liquid formulations will stop by soon. 

[LL...]
39 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

How unfortunate for your husband and you. I do not have an answer for you, but I hope someone familiar with liquid formulations will stop by soon. 

Thank you Ctlady - I did not realize we have a few compounding pharmacies now and I called another.  They do the suspension in mct oil with simple syrup which I believe is what we have.  The pharmacist believes this is what we have and she said that this does not really dissolve just suspends.  She does have another kind where it needs to be refrigerated and expires after 30 days.  This is the one she says would probably be best for us.  So we will be trying this.  I forgot to get the price though - which might be a deal breaker.  

[Li...]

@[LL...] Do you know what was used as the source of the active ingredient (i.e. the clonazepam) in the first compound?  If regular tablets were used (instead of the pure active drug substance, often referred to as bulk powder), the particles you saw may have been excipients in the tablet that were not soluble in MCT.

If you have not already done so, I encourage you to ask the second compounder to give you the specific formulation (recipe) for the clonazepam suspension they are recommending.  It’s especially important to find out what source will be used for the active ingredient (regular tablets or bulk powder) as well as whether or not the formulation has been stability tested.

Here’s an example of a stability-tested formulation for a 0.1mg/mL oral clonzepam suspension members have used successfully:

0.1mg/mL Clonazepam Oral Suspension in OraPlus/Sweet or OraBlend

Just checking … are you aware that it is not uncommon for individuals to experience increased anxiety while tapering?  Also, upticks in anxiety may be a sign that the taper rate is too fast.