Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Working in a hot environment worsening symptoms?

[La...]
Posted (edited)

Im 4 months off of benzos. It hasn't been too bad lately but tonight things are going south again.

I decided to use the weekend to do some work on my attic/roof. I live in a tropical place where is hot and sunny almost year round.

On Saturday I got up there and it was very hot, and also a tremendous amount of dust. I worked for almost three hours inside the attic and when I got out of there I was feeling bad, like I was having heat stroke or something.  I drank a load of water, rested and, after a few hours, began to feel better. I even went there again during the night, with no sun and milder temperatures, and worked for another hour. I got down and slept well that night.

On Sunday, today, temperatures where  milder, but still hot. I got into the attic again and worked for 3 hours. I got down feeling ok. But now it's 4am and I can't sleep. I feel hot. I feel weird. Anxiety is up. DP/DR is bad. Depression and total dysphoria. I gotta be at work in 5 hours and can't fall asleep.

I'm having a series of strong body jerks when trying to sleep, something that hasn't happened in about 40 days.

Could it be that the heat stress revved made things worse? I guess I shouldn't have done this.

There are other stuff going on in my life too: relationship stress, job related stress, an incredible complicated and unique emotional situation, taking Ritalin here and there, drinking, etc.

Edited by [La...]

[Le...]

you should do as much as you can. people really underestimate how run down they get and pushing through to get healthier is often hard. it likely is  very taxing on your body and has a lot of effect. getting stronger and healthier will cure that. 

[pi...]

I would say all of the above contributes to how you feel today. You have a lot of stressors going on including the work environment. I personally don’t think your alcohol and Ritalin use is a good idea this early in your recovery. I suffered when I pushed myself to hard cycling in my earlier recovery days. Be kind to your cns, it’s fragile and needs time to find balance.

[Id...]

Yes, at least for me. Is the worse because I dread the weather as I have to run for my life, and sometimes I had to.
Strange thing is (and this is why I am writing you) it took me years to put this together because when other stressors are involved I reach heat strokes even in mildest temperatures. 
You can search for heat and sun intolerance on here and you find other people as well.

Heat strokes can be lethal especially if not recognized and treated (is not always easy to recognize them because they don’t always involve high heat: humidity is also a factor; because symptoms are similar to benzo related ones, confusion for one; and because our limits can be lower).

I Also found out, reputable source but I didn’t save a link, that after a certain point they can become easier to have even with mild exposure. I too had a job that exposed me to wildest conditions.

Best thing to stop the worsening is sitting in a shower (to prevent falls) and lower your temperature with water, without giving yourself a thermal shock.

Pay attention to what you wear and normal tips regarding the problem. 

Yesterday I was walking in the safest way possible, I wasn’t even feeling hot. I had some mild respiratory problems and I was forced to slow down… I thought that it was from the walking but… as soon as I changed my clothes from technical light ones to light cotton ones every problem disappeared and I immediately resumed my walk as a breeze ( I am still young and I was a professional in this department, so I can almost always walk except for when I am bedridden).

I hope this can help somebody :) because it’s difficult to recognize if low temperatures are involved, and it is dangerous

[mr...]

my a/c went out in  my car and it feels like im suffocating/ makes it harder to breathe

i get it

[An...]
10 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Im 4 months off of benzos. It hasn't been too bad lately but tonight things are going south again.

I decided to use the weekend to do some work on my attic/roof. I live in a tropical place where is hot and sunny almost year round.

On Saturday I got up there and it was very hot, and also a tremendous amount of dust. I worked for almost three hours inside the attic and when I got out of there I was feeling bad, like I was having heat stroke or something.  I drank a load of water, rested and, after a few hours, began to feel better. I even went there again during the night, with no sun and milder temperatures, and worked for another hour. I got down and slept well that night.

On Sunday, today, temperatures where  milder, but still hot. I got into the attic again and worked for 3 hours. I got down feeling ok. But now it's 4am and I can't sleep. I feel hot. I feel weird. Anxiety is up. DP/DR is bad. Depression and total dysphoria. I gotta be at work in 5 hours and can't fall asleep.

I'm having a series of strong body jerks when trying to sleep, something that hasn't happened in about 40 days.

Could it be that the heat stress revved made things worse? I guess I shouldn't have done this.

There are other stuff going on in my life too: relationship stress, job related stress, an incredible complicated and unique emotional situation, taking Ritalin here and there, drinking, etc.

When withdrawing I know that our cortisol levels are high; and I know that extreme heat and weather conditions increase cortisol levels that could be a reason why