Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How long have/were you been on benzos?

[mo...]
Posted (edited)

Just curious about the variation in length of benzo use for members here. 

I’m currently ~4.5 years deep with daily use of 1.5-2mgs Xanax. Taper began March 2024.

Edited by [mo...]

[Cr...]

Pretty sure this topic would fall under 'Chewing the Fat'.

It is hard to gauge for me. In 2004 I was on .5 klonopin for about 4 weeks straight and stopped it no problem.

2005 to 2007 my use was sporadic and prn, but not really often.

2008 I was on .5 to 1mg from March until June. That was when i discovered i was dependent and reinstated in July. Stayed on .5mg until c/t in Oct. 2009.

3 weeks use in January 2011, and some sporadic use in March/Apr of 2011 and haven't touched a benzo since.

So not really sure how to quantify my total use. :o

[mo...]
29 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Pretty sure this topic would fall under 'Chewing the Fat'.

It is hard to gauge for me. In 2004 I was on .5 klonopin for about 4 weeks straight and stopped it no problem.

2005 to 2007 my use was sporadic and prn, but not really often.

2008 I was on .5 to 1mg from March until June. That was when i discovered i was dependent and reinstated in July. Stayed on .5mg until c/t in Oct. 2009.

3 weeks use in January 2011, and some sporadic use in March/Apr of 2011 and haven't touched a benzo since.

So not really sure how to quantify my total use. :o

I’m sorry, I keep posting in the wrong areas but don’t know how to move or delete posts!

Thanks for sharing!

• Haha 1

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)

Don't worry. The mods/admins understand that many people are distracted by their symptoms and aren't focused on what category their topic covers.  While not related to withdrawal or support, it is technically a general benzo use question so this thread might stay where it is at, but in the meantime I would love to see others respond to this topic.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 1

[kn...]

I started when I was 43 . (4mgs Klonopin; 1 mg Ativan). I’ll be 73 in July. No changes in all that time. Crossed over to 60 mgs of diazepam in Sept. of ‘21 and started tapering from there. I’m now @ 2.16mgs. I know, I know.  Too much, too long, come down too fast. What else can I say at this point?

• Like 1

[Cr...]
25 minutes ago, [[k...] said:

I started when I was 43 . (4mgs Klonopin; 1 mg Ativan). I’ll be 73 in July. No changes in all that time. Crossed over to 60 mgs of diazepam in Sept. of ‘21 and started tapering from there. I’m now @ 2.16mgs. I know, I know.  Too much, too long, come down too fast. What else can I say at this point?

Most people are at 'too long' the moment they go over the standard 2 to 4 weeks. I have seen people on low doses for only a few months take years to recover and I have seen people on high doses for a decade or more recover in under a year. There seems to be a genetic, or dare I say, unknown random element.

As for coming off too fast, that also is relative to the person. We all agree that days and weeks are too fast, but how many months and years it takes to taper is a very individual and personal process.

With you being in your 70s, I imagine you want to enjoy your later years benzo-free and recovered as soon as you can. 

• Like 1

[dj...]

First prescribed in 2000.  Was pretty much on them continuously from 2001 to 2019.  Off for good in 2022.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Just curious about the variation in length of benzo use for members here. 

I’m currently ~4.5 years deep with daily use of 1.5-2mgs Xanax. Taper began March 2024.

Started around September 2017.  Overall, Ambien ~10 mg for 1.5 years.  Then klonopin ~1 mg 4 years.  Followed by a 7 month taper.  Off in Feb 2024.

Worst decision of my life.  I've been off for about 14 weeks.  I'm better but not great.

[Ha...]

Just ended a 2 year taper from an almost 41 year dependence on Ativan. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, [[m...] said:

I‘m so sorry to hear you’re still struggling. Which aspect are you referring to as the worst decision of your life?

Getting started on z-drugs and benzos.  I can barely remember those 6 years and they were not good ones.  I became profoundly depressed which I never had depression before.  Likely as a result of the medication and life circumstances.  And the withdrawal experience is the most suffering I could ever imagine.  

Time I will never get back.  I am ready to move on but it is nearly impossible to get a sense of this with the amount of withdrawal I'm still experiencing.  The windows are nice though 😊

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

[da...]
7 hours ago, [[k...] said:

@[kn...] you’re blessed mister, im sure 73 is no joke. Highly blessed 🙏🏽

• Like 1