Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My story…could this be?

[Wh...]
Posted (edited)

I’ve always had a degree of health anxiety and 3 months ago I got an abrupt call from an urgent care stating I had syphillis, after 3 confirmatory tests it turned out I did not, but it was too late I was in an anxiety ridden spiral. My pcp perscribed me Ativan .5 twice a day, a couple weeks in I started getting anxiety attacks mid day so I took another, it spiraled into 3-4 a day til I ran out. Then I started seeing weird things (visual snow) and having muscle spasms etc now I really panicked thinking maybe I do have syphillis. My dr prescribed me now 3x a day Ativan and i stopped taking it again and same issues, could I really be addicted that quick? Did I make such a huge mistake?

thanks for your input

also I’ve read Prilosec increases its effect or something is this true? The same dr had me on 40 mg/day of prilosec

Edited by [Wh...]

[je...]

Hi @[Wh...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I’m sorry you’re going through such a difficult time. It is possible for people to develop dependency within a couple of a weeks. If the visual snow and muscle spasms started when you stopped the Ativan it sounds like it could be withdrawal. 

However, the good news is you’ve been on it for a fairly short time and if these are the only symptoms then it should be short lived. With time these symptoms should disappear. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If you don’t want to use benzodiazepines you probably need find alternative ways to manage your anxiety.  I don’t think you made a huge mistake, I think you need to give it a bit of time and these symptoms will settle down. 

[Wh...]

Well I just took some an hour ago and the spasms have ceased still have some visual snow not as bad, but I hadn’t taken any in a couple days it was getting kinda horrifying 

[je...]
1 minute ago, [[W...] said:

Well I just took some an hour ago and the spasms have ceased still have some visual snow not as bad, but I hadn’t taken any in a couple days it was getting kinda horrifying 

That would confirm your symptoms are caused by the Ativan. Benzo’s are powerful muscle relaxants, that is the reason I was prescribed them. If I was in your situation and my only symptoms were muscle spasms and visual snow, I would just stop taking it. These symptoms are uncomfortable but it can’t harm you and you are fully functional. 

If you continue to take these pills you will likely deepen your dependency and risk developing more severe symptoms, a very long taper and protracted withdrawal. 

[Wh...]

I agree but I can’t just stop I have a job etc and I can’t be incapacitated for days, I’m going try and at least quick taper. Trust me there’s no way I could go to work like that

[je...]
Just now, [[W...] said:

I agree but I can’t just stop I have a job etc and I can’t be incapacitated for days, I’m going try and at least quick taper. Trust me there’s no way I could go to work like that

Have not been to work during the past couple of days when you didn’t take it?

[Wh...]

I did yesterday but left early and today I was off 

[jo...]
Just now, [[W...] said:

I did yesterday but left early and today I was off 

if you can take a week or two off you might be fine within that period of time. Continuing to take them could cause you bigger problems down the line.

• Like 1

[je...]
50 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

My dr prescribed me now 3x a day Ativan and i stopped taking it again and same issues,

19 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

I hadn’t taken any in a couple days it was getting kinda horrifying 

How long ago since your last dose, excluding today?

[Wh...]
Posted (edited)

Mid day Thursday but I’ve been taking them off and on a couple weeks been having these weird symptoms didn’t really put it all together….when I first got them I took them frequently then when I was almost out I starting being sporadic. That’s when the symptoms started. 

Edited by [Wh...]

[je...]

Can you be more specific about your usage? Can you list the dates and doses you took?

[Wh...]

I don’t have specifics I wasn’t keeping track…I’m debating a detox with a quick taper

[Wh...]

Yes I did a lot of Xanax when I was younger pretty much daily but I don’t remember having trouble dropping it before 

[je...]

Have you had any Ativan since this dose?

On 19/05/2024 at 06:45, [[W...] said:

Well I just took some an hour ago

[je...]

With your sporadic use it's really difficult for me to suggest the best course of action. There are certain symptoms in withdrawal that you just have to 'bite the bullet'. For example insomnia. Neither a slow nor a fast taper is likely going to improve insomnia. If your main symptoms are muscle spasms and visual snow, I doubt that a fast taper or detox would improve your muscle issues. The moment the therapeutic effect from the benzo is gone, the muscle issues will be there IMO.  I would hate to see you struggle with more withdrawal symptoms or for your muscle spasms to become worse because you stayed on longer. We have a saying here: the only way out is through. Ultimately it's your decision though and we will support you.

I hope others will weigh in as well. 

Oh, btw, I think it will benefit you to familiarise yourself with kindling. It will probably be best not to use benzo's again in future. 

[Wh...]

I will never use again once I’m through this. I’m going cold turkey 

[Wh...]

I ended up doing a taper at a detox at the behest of my fiancé. So let’s see how things go now…

[Cr...]

What was the detox time period and how long has it been?

[je...]
6 hours ago, [[W...] said:

I ended up doing a taper at a detox at the behest of my fiancé. So let’s see how things go now…

I'm glad you were able to get off. Hopefully your recovery will be quick.

[Wh...]

Yeah it’s only 2 days after the taper now, I will say I’m pretty sure you were right I should of never taken that next dose but we will see how things go