Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

On what dosage of Liquid Valium is good time to jump?

[an...]
Posted (edited)

For anyone who has liquid tapered Valium, what dosage did you jump at? Sorry, I am sure this question has been asked before, but I am at .25 mgs right now and am tapering daily . Would greatly appreciate any comments, experiences and suggestions....

Godbless,

Maggie

Edited by [an...]

[Re...]

@[an...] hello :)

Congratulations for tapering diazepam so successfully! :thumbsup: That is incredible! You have been tapering for quite a long time.

I don't have personal experience as I jumped from a pretty high dose, about 2,5 mg equivalent of diazepam. 

The recommended jumping "range" - as far as I read here - is 1-0.5 mg/day diazepam.

I wonder what others have to say. 

Congrats again :)

[an...]

Hi ReubenRalph, thanks :giggle:

I think I posted wrong so thanks for responding. So technically I could jump now. I am still having more symptoms since I took the dosages of the liquid valium. I had virtually no symptoms on the ,25 mg capsule. I have only taken 2 dose of the liquid but I am having a reaction which is not good. Worried now I screwed up my taper. When you jumped at your dose were you having any symptoms? Thanks so much...

Maggie

[Re...]

@[an...] You posted perfectly, no issues!

Aften switching between different forms of medication- as you did from tablets to liquid compound -  people do report having symptoms, indeed. 

Have you considered waiting a few days on this current 0.25 mg capsule, so that your symptoms ease up and your system calms down a bit? This might be worth considering before reducing again/jumping.

Oh you definitely did not do damage to your taper! I wish I did such a good job with mine!

(I did everything wrong, high dose, fast taper, etc. I am no good example - but you are :)

[an...]
Posted (edited)

Hi ReubenRalph,

Oh thanks for the response. Its been a long time for sure with few symtoms until now so it must be the liquid. I have already take 2 small lower doses of the liquid so is it wise to switch back and at what dose? I don't have any caspules left and I also might need a new script from my Dr. Here i Canada Benzos are controlled and pharmacies are very strict...don't know what to do. So glad I didn't screw up things,  I greatly appreciate your help....:hug:

Edited by [an...]

[Re...]

Oh @[an...] I am sorry, I need to apologize, for some reason I had the impression you are back to taking your original 0.25 mg tablets. My bad!

To be clear, I would wait until stabilization on the liquid compound, I would personally not reduce/change the dose for a while after this switch. Your symptoms being so mild after such an effective taper and low dose, that will happen pretty soon.

[an...]
Posted (edited)

Hi ReubenRalph,

Thanks for your response. No I have taken 2 doses of the liquid with bad results. But since I am having a reaction to the liquid compound, would it not be best for me to go back to capsules and stabilize? I will have to take the liquid for few more days anyways since my pharmacy is closed until Tues. Good news is that I only went down one tiny dose...what do you think? I may not stablize on the liquid, i don't know....

Edited by [an...]

[0e...]
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, [[a...] said:

Hi ReubenRalph,

Thanks for your response. No I have taken 2 doses of the liquid with bad results. But since I am having a reaction to the liquid compound, would it not be best for me to go back to capsules and stabilize? I will have to take the liquid for few more days anyways since my pharmacy is closed until Tues. Good news is that I only went down one tiny dose...what do you think? I may not stablize on the liquid, i don't know....

Hi,

I dont understand why are you still trying things, switching to liquid and even bother any kind of taper. 0.25mg of valium is below any dose that you should take, most people jump between 0.5-1mg and even the strictest protocols say you can taper to 0.30mg and then jump.

0.25mg is not even a placebo on your system right now, you will probably have the same symptoms with that tiny dose or without any dose.

This is copiy/paste fromm Ashotm manual:

"Getting off the last tablet: Stopping the last few milligrams is often viewed as particularly difficult. This is mainly due to fear of how you will cope without any drug at all. In fact, the final parting is surprisingly easy. People are usually delighted by the new sense of freedom gained. In any case the 1mg or 0.5mg diazepam per day which you are taking at the end of your schedule is having little effect apart from keeping the dependence going. Do not be tempted to spin out the withdrawal to a ridiculously slow rate towards the end (such as 0.25mg each month). Take the plunge when you reach 0.5mg daily; full recovery cannot begin until you have got off your tablets completely. Some people after completing withdrawal like to carry around a few tablets with them for security "just in case", but find that they rarely if ever use them."

Edited by Guest

[je...]

I tapered Clonazepam and jumped at the Valium equivalent of 0.5mg. It was a non-event and I didn’t feel the jump. 

Were you having any anxiety about switching to liquid?

• Like 1

[an...]
Posted (edited)

Hi Jelly baby, Dolvian, ReubenRalph

Thanks so much for your repsonses. No I just thought most people can taper right off til last .01mg to be safe. I think I have been afraid to jump because I got down to low dosage before and had symtoms.

Jelly baby, no was not afraid of liquid, thought things would be fine since I have had few symtoms at .25mg. But now having symptoms for last two days with liquid. Trying to figure out if I should just jump but now don't feel stable. Don't  know what to do at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...:smitten:

Edited by [an...]

[je...]
8 hours ago, [[a...] said:

No I just thought most people can taper right off til last .01mg to be safe

Many people do that and there's nothing wrong with it, but I personally don't think it's necessary. My biggest concern of what I have seen here, is that people taper down very low, start experiencing symptoms and then updose, don't feel better, struggle even more to taper down a higher dose when they should've just jumped when they were low enough. My personal interpretation (and this is just guessing, no science behind it), is that when you're very low you are already entering PAWS, with windows and waves, even though you're not completely off. My reasoning is that there is barely any effect of the drug, and it is almost like you have jumped already and you are experiencing some of the effects of jumping. 

I am now 18 months off and I am still getting waves even though there is zero chance that there is any drug in my system left. It is inevitable that we will be experiencing ups and downs during this process. I just get very concerned that people get normal symptoms at jumping doses, interprets it as effects from tapering and then the cycle I described above ensues. 

[an...]

Hi Jelly baby, thanks so much for your responses, so appreciated. You jumped at .5mg, I am assuming with a slow taper but had few symtoms when you jumped? So more symptoms came afterward? At 18 mths the drug would definately be out of your system. I agree with you, in the past I should have jumped when on low dosage but due to fear and severe tinnitus, I updosed instead (big mistake). I took Atlivan prn for years and came off clonazepam successfully with zero symptoms 15 years ago. This time around it has been a nighmare. 

Since I had virtual no symptoms a week ago on.25mg capsule, I feel I should have jumped. I have taken 3 doses, do you think I should continue the liquid a bit longer to stablize and then jump or discontinue now? Worried I am having some reaction to the liquid, I have never taken it before. What do you think, thanks so much for you fantastic advice...:hug:

[je...]
8 hours ago, [[a...] said:

You jumped at .5mg, I am assuming with a slow taper but had few symtoms when you jumped? So more symptoms came afterward?

I am not a typical recovery story. My symptoms stayed the same for about 4-6 weeks. But I developed a condition that mirrored withdrawal symptoms so I thought my symptoms got worse but most of it was related to something else. I'm sure there were some withdrawal mixed in there as well, but the sheer intensity was definitely not benzo's and resolved after my diagnosis. So unfortunately I cannot comment on my first 9 months of recovery like "normal" buddies can. You can read about it here:

9 hours ago, [[a...] said:

Since I had virtual no symptoms a week ago on.25mg capsule, I feel I should have jumped. I have taken 3 doses, do you think I should continue the liquid a bit longer to stablize and then jump or discontinue now? Worried I am having some reaction to the liquid, I have never taken it before. What do you think, thanks so much for you fantastic advice..

It is really difficult for me to say. I am not a doctor, a pharmacist or a scientist, so I have no authority in this space. I would guess that it is very unlikely that the liquid Valium is causing your symptoms, but we cannot definitively rule it out. If it were me, I would probably go back to pills (simply because I know it didn't cause any issues), then try to stabilise and if I felt good enough after a while, I would jump. That's what I would do. But in benzo withdrawal there are no guarantees. 

[an...]

Hi Jelly Belly, so you had gluten intolerance. That is quite common these days, I have done the gluten free diet myself at times. Did they test for Celiac disease? Glad to hear your symtoms are better these days? I have also thought of going back to .25 capsules but I have no pills so I will have to take the liquid until at least Tues. I do worry changing again will also be like a slight updose and that I might get more symtoms. Someone suggested I go back to 1ml dosage of liquid since I did one dose change, but I worry about that too being an updose. So confussed as to what to do, I wish I had never switch to liquid, I feel like have messed up my long taper... so upset....:hug:

[je...]
15 hours ago, [[a...] said:

Did they test for Celiac disease?

Yes, all the tests came back negative. 

15 hours ago, [[a...] said:

So confussed as to what to do,

I’m really sorry I can’t be of more help. I can only tell you what I would do if I was in that situation. Just don’t stress yourself out about it because stress also makes our symptoms worse. 

[an...]
Posted (edited)

Thanks for all your help Jelly belly, I know I will just have to try to figure things out. Either way I am almost off with minimal symptoms and thats what counts....

Edited by [an...]