Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Did you experience delirium? And when did it get better?

[xo...]
Posted (edited)

Second post here. I tried to stop oxazepam (20mg per day) cold turkey a few days ago and experienced delirium immediately on the second night. It was terrifying. My thoughts were racing so fast I couldn’t respond to the person talking to me. Also sweating profusely. Then I heard a certain sentence from a childhood videogame over and over and over and over, I had no control. It felt like going insane and didn’t stop until I took my oxazepam.

I want to start tapering soon. Is it normal to experience symptoms this intense, this fast? And how do I find the trust that it will pass? Any experiences? I feel like I keep coming back here for reassurance that I’m going to be okay. I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle the withdrawal symptoms unless I’m 100% certain that i’m safe. Which of course isn’t really possible. I just need to have faith. But it helps to hear other peoples’ experiences. 

Also, I re-started taking fluoxetine (antidepressants) a few weeks ago. Am I higher risk because I’m on antidepressants? Or will they actually help me in the process? 

Edited by [xo...]

[Ja...]

Hi,.I’m no expert but your body’s reacting extremely to stopping CT like that,even tapering to quick can put you in a bad way bud,.you have to do it right if you don’t want to risk you health long term,.it’s a pain in the arse but you’ve got to be patient and taper down,.I started from 30mg in January and I’m down to 9mg,.even that’s quick but I slowed it right up and got more control,.be careful bud,read the Ashton manual for a good taper schedule,get some micro scales and start your taper safely.

• Like 1

[je...]

When we have an experience like yours it’s only natural to have fear of the process. My doctor gave me the wrong prescription and reduced my dose by 75%. I became bedridden. I was physically incredibly sick. And we didn’t know what was wrong with me. 

But here’s the good news. Once we figured out it was the meds, and I updosed, I became stable. Then I started tapering. I tapered for about 18 months and I was functional throughout. I’m now off for 18 months and I’m recovering. I’m not where I would like to be, but I’m so much better than I was when I started tapering or when I stopped the meds. 

If you taper slowly you should be able to remain functional. You will be okay. You can do this!

• Like 1