Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Shoulder surgery cause set back of some kind?

[Tu...]

45 months off Klonopin of 7 years

had shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago. It went well 

slept the first few nights probably due to anesthesia wear off. Only took oxycodone 3 times and took ibuprofen and asprin after 

haven't had anything in days besides my iron supplement because my iron was low which was discovered afterwards 

I am back to waking up at 2 am. Stomach always gurgling and feeling like I want to cry over every little thing with mad rumination when the weeks and months prior to surgery I was in the gym every single day making great gains and putting on muscle . Then surgery totally stressed my body beyond anything I was remotely close to handling I guess 

anyone else have a setback due to a surgery ? This waking up at 2 am makes me feel like I'm back in withdrawal 

[pi...]

Hello @[Tu...],

I am sadly a pro in terms of dealing with shoulder surgeries. I’ve had 5 including a shoulder replacement and a revision. No surgery is a walk in the park. Your surgery was not long ago and frankly, it can take a while for all the drugs given during anesthesia to wane. Additionally, there is the mental stress of surgery. I would think that your body is just reacting to the trauma of surgery. I’m happy your surgery went well. Give it some time and I’m sure things will lighten up for you. I started walking after my surgeries since that is all I was allowed to do, that helped a lot. Just getting outside in the fresh air. 

I strongly believe you’ll get back to your baseline, just allow your body to heal and mend after the surgery.

[Tu...]

Thank you so much. That truly means a ton 

I've felt so alone and feel like I should be this strong human that bounces back fast and strong but the walking up every night at 2 am is so rough 

I'm trying not to ruminate anymore which helps but man this sucks 

again, thank you

[Tu...]
49 minutes ago, [[p...] said:

Hello @[Tu...],

I am sadly a pro in terms of dealing with shoulder surgeries. I’ve had 5 including a shoulder replacement and a revision. No surgery is a walk in the park. Your surgery was not long ago and frankly, it can take a while for all the drugs given during anesthesia to wane. Additionally, there is the mental stress of surgery. I would think that your body is just reacting to the trauma of surgery. I’m happy your surgery went well. Give it some time and I’m sure things will lighten up for you. I started walking after my surgeries since that is all I was allowed to do, that helped a lot. Just getting outside in the fresh air. 

I strongly believe you’ll get back to your baseline, just allow your body to heal and mend after the surgery.

Also, @[pi...], did you have any reactions after your surgeries and how long did it take you to get sleep back if that was an issue or deal with feeling like you were back in a wave ? 

[pi...]
4 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Also, @[pi...], did you have any reactions after your surgeries and how long did it take you to get sleep back if that was an issue or deal with feeling like you were back in a wave ? 

I guess I was fortunate in terms of sleep. The issue I had related to trying to sleep with a bulky sling, which I had to do many times. Like you, I only took oxycodone a couple of times and lived on the ice machine. 

I wish I could give you better advice about sleeping. While it could be a wave due to the stress of surgery, your symptoms could also be due to the surgery itself. Or really, a combination of both. Two weeks out of shoulder surgery is really early. I know that we feel we should be fine. I did as well since I was on the tennis court two weeks after gall bladder surgery. Sometimes the body needs more time to recover.

How was sleep prior to the procedure? We’re you having any lingering withdrawal issues? 

[Le...]

i wonder if inflammation thats severe in one part of your body affects all the rest or if the strain on the body itself has a fair effect. 

[Rh...]

I had two surgeries once off my benzo and it took me awhile to bounce back.  I had a return of some of my symptoms, and it scared me a lot as well, but they did dissipate over time.

I am currently 10 months off my antidepressant and in a horrible wave, but know TIME is the truest healer.

[Le...]

good work. you will get there and the drugs are giving up. you dont heal or grow while on them. the hard way is the only way.