Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Adding lansoprazole while on Valium, what is generally recommended?

[he...]

Hi folks! Posting for a friend who is not able to use screens
-----
Hi all,

I intend to take lansoprazole for some weeks as in 2013 I had a diagnosis of gastritis but then even after some treatment I used NAC for a month more or less and I am experiencing stomach ache with this supplement and some food.

I also intend to start a ketogenic diet after it due to CFS symptoms. Some professionals told me that I am currently with some degree of cerebral insulin resistance so that is another reason.

The issue is that I take 12.5 mg of Valium daily and I know that lansoprazole can possibly increase the half-life of the former, then possibly increasing the serum levels, which I want to avoid.

I am considering lowering Valium to 10 mg during the treatment but still afraid of overdosing. Any views or experiences on this are welcomed. I don’t know any benzo wise doctor to ask with the where I live.

TL;DR: I don’t know how much should I cut from 12.5 mg of Valium while taking lansoprazole.

[Ka...]
Posted (edited)

Hello @[he...] found a link about this ppi topic so adding here in case this may help your friend - could be shared with the (non benzo wise) prescriber: 

Given that the intention is to take lansoprazole for some weeks then any consideration to reduce valium dose I wonder may not be necessary for short term ppi?

I have not read of anyone reducing their benzo for this purpose. Hopefully, perhaps other members can input & offer thoughts. 
Wishing your friend well. 

Edited by [Ka...]
Spelling