Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

PANIC ATTACKS - what do you do?

[Fi...]

Now that I'm off Valium my Sleep Apnea causes me to wake up, gasping for breath.

It induces a panic attack each time.

This happened on an airplane and I really freaked out.

With valium no longer an option -- does anyone use any kind of med. in an EMERGENCY?

Sleep doctor has me on Trazadone which helped a bit.

What have people used to fly??

[Ma...]

You need to address your sleep apnea with either a CPAP machine or dental device (which you can purchase online). 

Then, the panic will not be there. Address the cause, not the symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Cr...]

I agree with Mary1. There is no supplement or herbal remedy that will remove the fear caused by sleep apnea-induced gasping.

Once you tackle that problem, you may be wondering what to do about normal situations that produce anxiety (flying, public speaking, life changes).

That is where learning new coping skills comes into play. Breathing exercises such as inhaling quickly through your nose and then slowly out your lips can slow your heart rate, which can bring anxiety and panic under control.

Look into CBT or any skills you can find about controlling anxiety. If you master anxiety, you don't have to worry about panic attacks.

The riskiest option is what I call the 'Dumbo's Feather' option. If you still have Valium left over and have strong willpower, don't ever ingest it but take it with you when you go flying or are in a stressful place. Sometimes just knowing it is there in your purse or whatnot can prevent a panic attack from happening. But this method is only helpful if you know 100% you won't take Valium and if you are still working on building up your coping skills for anxiety and panic attacks. If you don't trust yourself I highly suggest you avoid this method.

After I c/t'd Klonopin I still had some leftover in a bottle for about 2 years into my recovery. No matter how bad my symptoms were I never took it and eventually threw them away realizing I had conquered panic attacks on my own.

• Like 2