Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Digestive issues

I am 75 days benzo free. I was on 15mg of diazepam and taper down to 2.5 mg. I then made the decision to jump from there. Symptoms have been very intense. The worst symptom’s  are  digestive issues. Anyone have any suggestions that may help?

[Co...]

Hello @[...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Congratulations on becoming benzodiazepine-free.

At 75 days out - and this might not be the reply you seek - the answer is 'time'. It is very common for our members to still suffer lingering withdrawal problems a few months out. But the chances are that the situation will resolve itself in the coming weeks and months.

As a matter of caution, you should always discuss symptoms with your doctor - especially anything new - to rule out other causes. Assuming there is no other cause, time is the answer.

I should also add that quitting at 2.5mg diazepam is a significantly higher dose than most of our members quit this medication (presumably, you were using 5mg tablets and halving them). Mostly, our members will use 2mg tablets towards the end of their taper and make 1mg or even 0.5mg reductions to their daily dose. So, it is unsurprising that are suffering some more extended withdrawal symptoms.

But this is in the past. Your brain will have already partially adapted to the absence of diazepam. It would be a mistake to now reinstate, as this would undo the re-adaptation of your brain and all of your hard work.

So, hang in there. Your withdrawal symptoms will probably improve fairly soon. Perhaps other members will have some suggestions for managing your symptoms in the interim.

• Like 1

@[...], my congratulations on being benzo free:classic_smile: That's just wonderful!)

How long did you take benzo? Did you have any digestion issues prior to it? In fact such symptoms are quite common and, in my opinion, if they're benzo induced, we can only wait till our brain figures out how to navigate the body on its own. Sure It will happen and, hope, soon. 

I'd advise simple things like small helpings, healthy food, water,  walks, light massages, etc.I know it doesn't sound much but the only true remedy is time. 

Wish you a speedy recovery!)!