Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Autistic, quickly overwhelmed at day 39 clean - how long until it gets better?

[Br...]

Hi, I'm 39 days clean (I was in detox). Initially, I felt good for 2 weeks, no anxiety, but then I was released and started to have anxiety and/or not feeling anything. Now both are better, but I get overwhelmed by the smallest things. Going to the doctor, seeing 2 longterm friends at once, etc. Had immense anxiety and shutdown when I went to see a therapist about being admitted to an abstinence group. I can easily do things I'm used to like online therapy, walks with a friend, riding the tram for 15 minutes to see my social worker. I don't feel terrible most of the time, thankfully. Most of the time I feel okay-ish, if detached. But I can't do things I don't do regularly. How long do you think until it gets better? (I had social phobia and overwhelm before coming off benzos too, but not this pronounced.) Please tell me only if it's encouraging, no horror stories! :D I hope for a few months until I feel more myself. Thanks!

Hi, @[Br...], and welcome to BenzoBuddies!) We are so glad you're looking for support&advice here among those who're in the same boat with you!)

As for me, i promise no horror stories but for members to give you a better feedback, i think, it's necessary to know your terms of benzo use, how often, how long, what benzo and its dosages. Could you elaborate, please?

If you're about 1.5 months off after  detox and feel the way you say, it sounds most promising and just great! All the issues you have are common while benzo withdrawing and must subside over time even on their own  My guess is it shouldn't take you long to get reasonably better. I hope i'm right) 

Good luck to you!)

Yes, @[Br...], you seem to be doing really better than most of the people i know. For me, 6 hours of sleep every night sounds unbelievably wonderful) It is quite a something to be optimistic about.

Detox isn't considered to be the best way to come off benzo or z  drugs and if you're ok+- even after it, you have all the chances to avoid a long term acute benzo withdrawal.  I'd be on my guard for a while though, just in case. Do you take any other medication on a daily basis?

• Like 1

[Ja...]

Hi,how long did you reinstate for on the 30 g diazepam before the 10 day detox,.did they use another med to help with the detox 

[jo...]
3 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hi, I'm 39 days clean (I was in detox). Initially, I felt good for 2 weeks, no anxiety, but then I was released and started to have anxiety and/or not feeling anything. Now both are better, but I get overwhelmed by the smallest things. Going to the doctor, seeing 2 longterm friends at once, etc. Had immense anxiety and shutdown when I went to see a therapist about being admitted to an abstinence group. I can easily do things I'm used to like online therapy, walks with a friend, riding the tram for 15 minutes to see my social worker. I don't feel terrible most of the time, thankfully. Most of the time I feel okay-ish, if detached. But I can't do things I don't do regularly. How long do you think until it gets better? (I had social phobia and overwhelm before coming off benzos too, but not this pronounced.) Please tell me only if it's encouraging, no horror stories! :D I hope for a few months until I feel more myself. Thanks!

It actually sounds like your doing really well. Stick with it and the remaining problems will also subside in time. Just take good care of yourself and don't overdo things would be my advice, there are already a lot of good signs!

• Like 2

[Br...]
On 14/05/2024 at 13:28, [[J...] said:

Hi,how long did you reinstate for on the 30 g diazepam before the 10 day detox,.did they use another med to help with the detox 

I was off Diazepam (but on Zolpidem) for 1 month. then in the hospital they replaced 60 mg of zolpidem by 50 mg of diazepam and tapered by 5 mg a day. I had the same medicine I was taking for anxiey before the benzos - 250 mg of Venlaflaxin and 50 mg of Prosulpin, also 50 mg Chlorprothixen when I have anxiety.

55 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

I take 250 mg of Venlaflaxin and 50 mg of Prosulpin, also 50 mg CHlorprothixen when I have anxiety. I was taking the same for my anxiety before the benzos. Maybe the meds are the reason I dont have as much anxiety as other people here?

I also take black cumin oil, ashwaganda and magnesium bisglycinate.

@[Br...], sure the meds must be making your benzo withdrawal somehow easier but not that much. I heard of them all concerning our withdrawal. These meds are often of little help and sometimes cover the symptoms just a bit. I also been taking antidepressant to relieve my benzo headaches. It really helped but failed to cover most of the other issues although i'm really grateful to the med) I guess your body/ brain is just good at "fighting" benzo consequences, really)

52 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Actually now I have a phase when I sleep 10 hours a day. I guess my brain is doing the repair work? Neurodivergent brains generally need more sleep though, so for me 6 hours too little, I was completely out of it after 2 days. Im so thankful I can sleep!

Yes, i think you're right. My congratulations on your good restful nights!) I read that most of "repair" work is generally done while we sleep but i do hope it is carried out in some other way too bc i personally never sleep more than 5 good hours)

Any other uncomfortable symptoms?