Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is this Inter dose withdrawal? Need taper recommendations please…

[Mi...]

Hi - I have sadly been on a benzo for 12 years - as a new mom with anxiety - took doctors orders to take klonopin every night before bed.  (For most of the 12 years my dose was 0.125 klonopin).  Along with an antidepressant.  My biggest complaint the past 12 years has been daytime fatigue.  Not being able to get through the day without a nap.  2 years ago - once again following doctors orders - we decided to switch my nighttime dose to Xanax in the hopes that the shorter half life would give me more energy during the day.  It did for about 8 months.  Then I stated getting a ton of weird symptoms.  Numbness on one side of my body.  Dizzy spells.  Light headed spells.  Eventually I got depression until finally it became anxiety/depression so bad that I could not eat or sleep.  (I finally noticed I immediately wanted to eat when I took my nightly Xanax).  So to “fix” this - in December 2023 my doctor immediately had me switch to klonopin again (no gradual cross taper). Now I was on 40mg Prozac (no change with the ssri), 0.75 klonopin for sleep and an increase of 88mg trazadone for sleep.  This turned me into a zombie but I could gradually start eating and sleeping again.  In January we decided that I should switch to 40mg Cymbalta as I’ve had good luck on that medication before.  I began trying to lower the klonopin (only by .03mg) - but got a lot of “afternoon anxiety” - so I reinstated.  Then I tried lowering the trazadone.  I have been able to get down to 62mg trazadone - but still have “afternoon anxiety”.  I can eat and sleep.  But if I don’t exercise in the morning I’ll typically get a wave of uncomfortable anxiety symptoms in the morning - mostly physical.  If I exercise - I’m usually able to nap after eating lunch - I’ll then get the anxiety sometime in the afternoon early evening.  It’s like I’m more sensitive to stress.  Or it will just hit me out of nowhere - rapid heartbeat or heart pounding, crying or at least wanting to cry, restlessness.  Many times eating something or exercise will help.  This morning I tried taking cymbalta in the morning and that seems to help, but then I’m a zombie in the morning.  So sluggish.  I was encouraged that I started having more energy in the mornings - but it’s like with the energy boost comes the unpredictable anxiety attacks.  So I don’t know if this is interdose withdrawal; still withdrawals from reducing the trazadone; some have suggested this is all (or at least in part hormonal as I am 44)… I just feel very stuck in knowing the next step to take.  I could not do anything and deal with the random anxiety with exercise and watching caffeine and hope one day it will resolve.  I could split my klonopin dose and take some during the day possibly before my afternoon nap (this would be a hard decision to make as im a mom of young kids and typically 0.175 enough to put me to sleep for hours).  Or I could keep taking my cymbalta in the morning which seems to keep the random panic attacks at bay - yet it makes me a zombie in the morning and then when would I ever be able to reduce the klonopin? I guess I was thinking maybe if I take .06 klonopin during the day I could still function - I could take the rest at night and then once stable I could sloooowly taper my night time dose.  My doctor is against switching me to Valium.  And actually my genetic test says I’m an “ultra rapid metabolizer” for Valium so probably should avoid it. Any help or advice - greatly appreciated.  Thank you.