Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

EXTREME FATIGUE, EXHAUSTION AND BODY ITCHING

[ca...]

Hello, 

Is it common to experience EXTREME FATIGUE, EXHAUSTION AND BODY ITCHING during taper and withdrawal.  It is so exhausting to just take a shower.

[Be...]

I suffered this for very long during withdrawal but it got better with time only.

[Ma...]
Posted (edited)

Yes. My fatigue is debilitating and it’s extremely common.

Jennifer Leigh has a blog about it on her site. Unfortunately it can last quite some time.

You know the old saying, A body at rest, stays at rest? I am 1 that believes to have energy you need to make it. So when you can, try to exercise and build on that. Walk a block, then 2 and so on.

I’ve been getting up to 10,000+ steps/day, when I can, and with naps in between. Not only can I feel the happy endorphins in the evening, but I have more energy the following day.

I used to have to sit when showering-you can buy benches on Amazon-but I can now stand the entire time.

Mind you, when falling asleep I feel like I am going into the abyss. Exercise or not.

This too shall pass.

Edited by [Ma...]

[ca...]
26 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

@[ca...] Could it be in part caused by your new medication? 

I'm only on Clonazepam .5 mg ( recently cut down) and 15 mg Mirtazepine. 

[ca...]
47 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

I suffered this for very long during withdrawal but it got better with time only.

Thank you for feedback 

[ca...]
22 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Yes. My fatigue is debilitating and it’s extremely common.

Jennifer Leigh has a blog about it on her site. Unfortunately it can last quite some time.

You know the old saying, A body at rest, stays at rest? I am 1 that believes to have energy you need to make it. So when you can, try to exercise and build on that. Walk a block, then 2 and so on.

I’ve been getting up to 10,000+ steps/day, when I can, and with naps in between. Not only can I feel the happy endorphins in the evening, but I have more energy the following day.

I used to have to sit when showering-you can buy benches on Amazon-but I can now stand the entire time.

Mind you, when falling asleep I feel like I am going into the abyss. Exercise or not.

This too shall pass.

I've tried walking but I get tired easily. I get back to the apartment feeling like I'm going to faint. A feeling of impending doom.

[Ja...]

The pull to have a power nap in the day is unreal doing this withdrawal,shut your eyes and your away lol,.I value the nights sleep to mutch though,.I just done a crossword while my brain/body just wanted to shut of,.it brought me out the tiredness.

[Ka...]
5 minutes ago, [[c...] said:

I'm only on Clonazepam .5 mg ( recently cut down) and 15 mg Mirtazepine. 

Oh my mistake I thought you’d added in sertraline. Sorry for what you are going thru. 

[Ja...]

Mind on the mirtazipine makes you feel fatigued/tired,.it’s really common, Tried them I wouldn’t go near them again.

[ca...]
1 minute ago, [[K...] said:

Oh my mistake I thought you’d added in sertraline. Sorry for what you are going thru. 

I decided not to start the sertraline. 

[Ma...]
Posted (edited)

@[ca...] IMO, our bodies have been assaulted by neurotoxins and are angry. The body wants to heal on its own, in its own capacity and timeframe.

Mirtz is used by many in this community but at low doses it causes greater fatigue.

Seraltine can cause severe anxiety at first so perhaps consider leaving it alone?

Maybe open your windows and walk around your home, or just out the door and breathe in the fresh air. 

When I 1st made the decision to start walking I got so dizzy I would have to sit in the sidewalk multiple times and I dropped my dogs leash multiple times too. I thought I would faint, but never did. Yesterday I walked 16,000 steps-day before 1200. But I am seeing tremendous progress.

Repetition is key and you will get stronger as you strengthen not only your body but your neuronal connections.

Edited by [Ma...]

[ca...]
25 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

@[ca...] IMO, our bodies have been assaulted by neurotoxins and are angry. The body wants to heal on its own, in its own capacity and timeframe.

Mirtz is used by many in this community but at low doses it causes greater fatigue.

Seraltine can cause severe anxiety at first so perhaps consider leaving it alone?

Maybe open your windows and walk around your home, or just out the door and breathe in the fresh air. 

When I 1st made the decision to start walking I got so dizzy I would have to sit in the sidewalk multiple times and I dropped my dogs leash multiple times too. I thought I would faint, but never did. Yesterday I walked 16,000 steps-day before 1200. But I am seeing tremendous progress.

Repetition is key and you will get stronger as you strengthen not only your body but your neuronal connections.

Thank you Mary1

[He...]

I just wanted to tell you, I’m so fatigued today. It’s been tough as my kids want to have fun with me on Mother’s Day. May we keep the healing hope that this too shall pass. 

[ca...]
8 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

I just wanted to tell you, I’m so fatigued today. It’s been tough as my kids want to have fun with me on Mother’s Day. May we keep the healing hope that this too shall pass. 

Happy  mother's day.  I really hope this shall pass soon in the name of Jesus. My anxiety has been really bad today too. 

[op...]

Yes, it's all common. And many of us have found that histamine gets kicked up during the withdrawal process, which would account for the itching, which i have had too. The mirtazapine is, in part, an anti-histamine, which is why it can make you sleepy. But also, it may be helping the itching some. This is a long process but it does get better. DAO pills (herbal) can be helpful for histamine reactions, especially when you start to taper the mirtazapine down the road. Hope you feel better soon enough. 

[Ma...]
Posted (edited)

The fatigue has completely consumed me this morning-body, mind, spirit-everything.

It’s like surrendering to quicksand 🥹

Stupid benzos.

Edited by [Ma...]

[ca...]
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

The fatigue has completely consumed me this morning-body, mind, spirit-everything.

It’s like surrendering to quicksand 🥹

Stupid benzos.

I'm with you Mary1. I got no sleep last night, I want to sleep so bad but I can't . Even with the Mirtazapine I couldn't sleep,  now stuck to my bed. No desire of getting up.  Stupid Benzos is right. 😞 This is such a difficult battle. 

Edited by [ca...]

[dj...]

I suffer badly from fatigue and exhaustion.  Like can barely walk up the stairs bad sometimes and even sitting up (as opposed to lying down) can be exhausting.  

Sometimes a little movement and activity gives me energy.  Sometimes it just wears me down further.  Totally depends on the day.  

Listen to your body.  

The fatigue from mirtazapine usually wears off after a week or two.  It’s common to wake up groggy but that will probably wear off after a couple hours.  If taking a shower is doing you in, something that extreme is probably from benzos.  There is fatigue and then there is benzo fatigue - different ballgame. 

When our bodies feel like they are getting attacked, or things are out of balance, they react with fatigue at some point. 

• Like 1

[Kr...]
12 hours ago, [[M...] said:

The fatigue has completely consumed me this morning-body, mind, spirit-everything

@[Ma...]

get out in nature even if it feels impossible. Can you take an Epsom salt soak?

sometimes just moving your feet while sitting will get the juices going.

Try telling your brain the fatigue means you’re improving and you are okay with it. The more you tell yourself you’re exhausted the more you will be. Get out and move!!😻

• Like 1

[Ho...]

I was on mirtazepine too. Still tapering it; am at .4 mg now. Crazy but if I go down too fast I go back into a bad place. I think the mirt makes you super tired! The lower the dose, the more tired it makes you. I was told this by a doctor and a psychologist. 

I'm still dead tired a lot at 20 months out, but not all the time by any means. I've found that if I go to the YMCA and exercise with some weights and on the treadmill, I have a whole lot more energy when I get home. But I'm further out than you are and it may not be the same for you—yet! 

When I was about fourteen months out, I decided to work a little, and then let myself rest as needed. I'd do some laundry, lay on the sofa. Wash some dishes, lay on the floor. Just giving myself permission to rest even after a tiny amount of effort. After a few months I didn't need to rest as much. 

Yesterday I was exhausted. I couldn't get myself up to do anything. Slept like a log last night and today I gardened, ran errands, cleaned the kitchen and cleaned and sharpened gardening tools.

I think if your body is exhausted there's a reason. One of the most important principles that I keep having to go back to is be gentle with yourself. It doesn't feel good to rest and not accomplish something. It's hard to feel wretched and rest and rest. We're not used to needing months and months of healing! So it never hurts to be reminded to be gentle with yourself, because you'll need to be for longer than expected. Remember: you didn't do this to yourself, and the only way to manage the fallout is endure, wait, and distract as well as you can. The kinder you are to yourself, the better it is for you. Getting angry with yourself or frustrated (which we all do) just yields absolutely no benefit whatsoever.

And one of the nice outcomes of being gentle with yourself is that when this ends, as mine is ending, you'll find yourself kinder to others and more understanding. After a year or two of 'It's all about me', it will be 'It's all about you' in the nicest possible way!

Warmly,

HCHC 

• Like 1

[Ma...]
Posted (edited)

@[Kr...] In regards to my earlier message above, I ended up walking 5 miles yesterday-in spurts. And gardened a bit. I agree with everything you said. Sometimes the battle fatigue just feels crippling.

@[Ho...] That’s what I too, try to do. Your message was spot on and much needed to read as a reminder and for encouragement . Thank you ☺️ 

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1