Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can antibiotics trigger symptoms back?

[Be...]

Hi everyone,

I hope everyone is healing well. Please guys help me for this issue. I had left benzos for two years now but three weeks back I got fever and had stomach infection due to which doc kept me on antibiotics course. After that I suddenly started feeling my old benzo withdrawal symptoms coming back from muscle weakness to chest pain, rib pain head pressure, depression, feeling like crying and all. 

Please guys tell me if antibiotics can trigger the symptoms back? Had anyone of you encountered such thing. Please tell me as I am going insane with all these issues again.

Pls help

[Bo...]

Yes unfortunately antibiotics can rev us up in this even a few years out.

which one did you take? 

[Be...]
1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

Yes unfortunately antibiotics can rev us up in this even a few years out.

which one did you take? 

I took metronidazole 400 mg for four days. And just after completing course in a day my symptoms are back

[Bo...]

I believe this is flagyl…. Which some have had issues with in benzo wd. 
please type flagyl in search bar to maybe see how others have handled this but I do know this and fluoroquinolones can cause issues.

hoping other flagyl people will chime in and give thoughts on how to cope. I know it made some people worse and hoping you can connect with  them or maybe ask on benzo warrior fb group, or flagyl facebook group if they have one. 
hugs and hoping this is short lived 

• Like 1

[Be...]
24 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

I believe this is flagyl…. Which some have had issues with in benzo wd. 
please type flagyl in search bar to maybe see how others have handled this but I do know this and fluoroquinolones can cause issues.

hoping other flagyl people will chime in and give thoughts on how to cope. I know it made some people worse and hoping you can connect with  them or maybe ask on benzo warrior fb group, or flagyl facebook group if they have one. 
hugs and hoping this is short lived 

What is flagyl? Should I search in this benzobuddies only?

[ma...]

@[Be...]its  a brand in antibiotic are Fluoroquinolones. This includes ciprofloxacin (Cipro), gemifloxacin (Factive), levofloxacin (Levaquin), moxifloxacin (Avelox) and ofloxacin (Floxin) and delafloxacin (Baxdela).  
Some individuals have trouble with other types of antibiotics but it's the fluoroquinolones that seem to cause the most trouble for people.

• Like 1

[Be...]
32 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

@[Be...]its  a brand in antibiotic are Fluoroquinolones. This includes ciprofloxacin (Cipro), gemifloxacin (Factive), levofloxacin (Levaquin), moxifloxacin (Avelox) and ofloxacin (Floxin) and delafloxacin (Baxdela).  
Some individuals have trouble with other types of antibiotics but it's the fluoroquinolones that seem to cause the most trouble for people.

Thank you for this information 

[Be...]
6 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

I got that information from @[Ma...] i am using antibiotic now Appocilin . 

So is it working good for you?

I was prescribed metronidazole and it prove to be worst

[Ja...]

I can’t help but I do empathise with you.  I have been on three antibiotics and steroids over the past four weeks.  My head is going mad with pressure just above both ears,  I have dreadful insomnia and no energy.  I am 8 months post taper.  

[Id...]
18 hours ago, [[B...] said:

I believe this is flagyl…. Which some have had issues with in benzo wd

Sorry if unrelated but reading this felt like a solid kick in my ribs. What precipitated everything for me coincided with a prescription of it for an infection I picked up during a routine visit in hospital. I was too scared to research it but now I don’t have to anymore. Thanks!

• Like 1

[Be...]
18 hours ago, [[J...] said:

I can’t help but I do empathise with you.  I have been on three antibiotics and steroids over the past four weeks.  My head is going mad with pressure just above both ears,  I have dreadful insomnia and no energy.  I am 8 months post taper.  

Oh no. I hope you heal soon. I took suffer from head pressure both sides above ears and list goes on with left hand weakness and pain. Insomnia and weird heart issues rib pain and whole body weakness. I just don't get it why docs don't pay attention to all this.

[Be...]
6 hours ago, [[m...] said:

No appocilin is not working good . I feel so bad

Damn to this medic people. They just don't care for us

[Be...]
3 hours ago, [[I...] said:

Sorry if unrelated but reading this felt like a solid kick in my ribs. What precipitated everything for me coincided with a prescription of it for an infection I picked up during a routine visit in hospital. I was too scared to research it but now I don’t have to anymore. Thanks!

Are you facing symptoms too due to antibiotics course?

[ma...]

Yes to all @[Be...] i have 2 days left of the antibiotic and it has'nt even taken away the infection

[Be...]
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Yes to all @[Be...] i have 2 days left of the antibiotic and it has'nt even taken away the infection

Oh no that means it's got whole worse than ever. And infection isn't gone too. Sometimes I think these people don't even take us as humans before treating us. 

I am having all those symptoms of hand weakness, low bp and body weakness too. Feel like crying all time as I was completely cured. It took me so long to recover and now back to square one. When I feel weakness in hands and legs or slight numbness it scares me alot. All negative things runs in mind. What if something is wrong with my heart or brain. Even though just before my relapse I had full check up and I was normal. Now I don't even know when I will get back windows properly or even get healed back. 

It's soo scary. Have you met anyone with such issues and who had recovered from these post antibiotics horror? I know I am talking too much here but can't help. This is literally a nightmare for me again.

Praying for our recovery

Edited by [Be...]