Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Please help with taper plan - low dose 3 months

[Ro...]

I’m having a very hard time coming off Xanax after 3 months of daily use. Was taking 1mg per day on average the first two months. Then, have been trying to taper down the third month by cutting by half for 3-4 days, only to have severe withdrawals and then going back up. Current Dr. prescribed a plan adding 0.75 Ativan (.25 mg morning/ .50 mg at night. And .25 Xanax at 5 pm. But in day 2 I started feeling very dizzy, memory loss and double/blurry  vision. The Dr. then said reduce Ativan to only .25mg (seems low not sure if it’s doing anything) at night and .25 mg Xanax at 11 am. I prefer to only Taper off Xanax, please let me know if you have any thoughts on Tapering off Xanax only, also is it okay to increase the Xanax if we started tapering too fast to reduce withdrawal side effects. Having severe withdrawl effects at this time, thanks.

[Re...]

Hello @[Ro...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am glad you found us! Yes, sometimes it does not take long for this medications to cause some trouble. 

In my opinion, you have been tapering fast. The reduction of 50% has a huge impact on the nervous system. 

We generally recommend reducing 5-10% of your previous dose every two or three weeks, some people reduce even slower with a preferred taper method (link here). Many people taper off xanax directly, too. Important thing is that your withdrawal symptoms remain tolerable. Many of our members use a jewelers scale, etc. to taper. 

It is okay to go back to a dose comfortable to you and taper directly off xanax, yes. It would be worth waiting a bit before beginning your taper, until then you can plan how to do actually do it. We have many knowledgeable members who will help you. 

This is doable @[Ro...], you will be okay :)

Please let us know how we can support you! 

RR

[Ro...]

Thanks Reuben, define tolerable withdrawl symptoms? Is it possible to have 0 withdrawls symptoms while tapering? Thanks 

[Re...]

@[Ro...] I have definitely heard about people who remained functional and could continue the daily activities and duties they were required to do. I believe that is the goal.