Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Heart Palpitations- Keep Going?

[mo...]
Posted (edited)

Over the past few months, I’ve cut down from 30mgs diazepam to 20mgs. 2 weeks after my last cut, I started noticing occasional heart palpitations and night sweating. I also had an extremely stressful incident that may have played into what I’m feeling. Neither symptom is impairing, just a bit uncomfortable. However, I’m concerned I already have symptoms when I have SO much further to go in my taper.

Do you typically recommend waiting until all symptoms have completely resolved before making another cut? Or can I move forward with a reduction of 1-2mgs? I am willing yo take it slow, but prefer not to draw it out unnecessarily. 

**I now realize this is in the wrong forum. Sorry! I don’t know how to delete or move the post.

Edited by [mo...]

[Ka...]
Posted (edited)

Hello @[mo...] you’ve done well to get to 20mg.

If that new heart palpitation continues it may be good to get checked out just to be sure. Palpitations & sweating can be WD symptoms & that coupled with stress you’ve experienced is bound to affect you. 
Tapers are unique to each of us, can be flexible and most importantly best led by how you feel. If you need to hold until you feel stability then that seems a good idea. It may help as you then move further in reductions so things go at the right pace. I believe Ashton suggested to allow a break from tapering in times like this. I hope this helps. Wishing you well. 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...
[Tr...]

Hello @[mo...], may I ask how you are doing and if your heart palpitations disappeared and you were able to confinue your taper? 
I have a similar problem with palpitations after a large cut and would like to hear your experience. 
Thanks in advance for your reply! I hope you are feeling well! 

[mo...]
Posted (edited)

Hi! I am doing much better. I talked with my doctor about pausing my taper, which she allowed. But I changed my mind and decided to just push through. The heart palpitations resolved on their own and are no longer a problem- I’m almost sure they were directly linked to an external stressor in my life at the time. I am now down to 8.5mgs valium with very few side effects (occasional bloat and reemerging OCD).

I’m sorry you are dealing with them! They always make everything so much harder because they almost mimic a panic attack. How big are your cuts?

Edited by [mo...]
  • Like 2

[Tr...]

Hello @[mo...], I am so glad that your heart palpitations resolved on their own and that your are successfully tapering! Many thanks for the information! 

I am tapering off 0.5 mg of Clonazepam = 10 mg of Valium (I only took it for 7 weeks and was hoping I could taper off relatively quickly). I cut in 2 consecutive weeks by 12.5% and this gave me the palpitations. I am holding now and hoping that I will be able to continue my taper soon. Obviously, I will have to slow down the taper rate. 

It would be great if you could let us know here after you have tapered off completely the Valium and share your experience of the tapering off of the remaining 8.5 mg. 

Many thanks in advance! 

Edited by [Tr...]