Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Sensitive to smells

[An...]

Hey buddies, I have a new symptom. I can smell something in my nose constantly, In the house, no one else can smell it/ my brother smokes outside and it smells like smoke lingering inside. Has anyone had smell sensitivity 

[Lo...]

Hello, during withdrawal all our senses are very sensitive, so what you experience is normal. That didn't happen to me, but I still can't feel the fresh air, I can't breathe normally and that stresses me out. So you are lucky that you can smell smells haha.

image.png

[Be...]

Yes I use to have sensitivity to smell especially detergent smell. It use to trigger other symptoms as well but it healed with time. Look for triggering smell and avoid it everyday u can.

[Le...]

I had that and lots of times my reaction to smells was weird. things i used to like would smell gross to me. anything musty or mildewy I was hypersensitive to. 

[Th...]

For 3+ months after my last dose I smelled what seemed like burning metal. Very weird smell. Im in month 5 now, I haven't smelled this for about a month now. I believe its just our brains healing.

[An...]
On 12/05/2024 at 15:43, [[L...] said:

Hello, during withdrawal all our senses are very sensitive, so what you experience is normal. That didn't happen to me, but I still can't feel the fresh air, I can't breathe normally and that stresses me out. So you are lucky that you can smell smells haha.

image.png

Oh what do you feel ? You feel like you can’t breathe or you can’t smell? Have you tried a anti histamine do you have sinus or is it a withdrawal symptom for you 

[An...]
17 hours ago, [[T...] said:

For 3+ months after my last dose I smelled what seemed like burning metal. Very weird smell. Im in month 5 now, I haven't smelled this for about a month now. I believe its just our brains healing.

Wow congratulations on being benzo free how did you feel when you came off your last dose and how are you feeling now ? 

• Like 1

[mo...]

I am only 1/3 of the way into my taper and I am absolutely sensitive to smell. It seems like I can pick up scents from a much further distance.

• Like 1

[Th...]
On 13/05/2024 at 06:42, [[A...] said:

Wow congratulations on being benzo free how did you feel when you came off your last dose and how are you feeling now ? 

Thanks! Oh gosh, I was pretty sick the last 2 weeks of my taper, although I felt awful during my entire taper anyway. 😁 But I could barely function the first 2 weeks after my last dose. The first 48 hours the room spun so badly I had to crawl everywhere because I not only had no balance but I didn't have the strength in my legs. Horrible symptoms, couldn't talk or think, I  couldn't comprehend words or read, brain zaps, flashing lights, Tinnitus, visual and auditory hallucinations, nausea, gut disturbances, restless legs, fever, high blood pressure, head pressure, muscle pain, all kinds of nasty.  At one month I started to pull out of the worst of it. I am grateful to be in month 5 now, Tinnitus is the only thing I am still dealing with for the most part. I still get dizzy and fatigued occasionally though.

Where are you in your healing? Hopefully you aren't struggling too much and are making headway to healing. ❤️