Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Did an SSRI during withdrawal help or hurt?

I take 12.5 mg CR Paxil per day and yes it helps take the edge off, I was on it before I began tapering.  I recommend it myself.  But as we all know it, everybody differs.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [An...]

• [...]

• [Be...]

• [wh...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there has to be a correlation between serotonine and epression since ssri (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) are precribed worldwide as antidepressants...

But who am I?  :D

It works for me and it also is making the witdrawal more bareable.

Serotonin levels are not correlated with depression.  People who have low serotonin levels are not more depressed than people who have high serotonin levels. People who have low serotonin level and are depressed are not necessarily those who will respond favorably to SSRIs.  The mechanism by which SSRI work for people who are depressed is not know.  The serotonin hypothesis of depression has not been proven, the reason why people are depressed is not know from a biological point of view.

The serotonin hypothesis of depression was a marketing scheme developed by Eli Lilly for marketing the drug Prozac in the 1980s.  The monoamine hypothesis had mostly been abandoned by the scientific community by then, but was rekindled by Eli Lilly for the launch of Prozac, but no new evidence showing that serotonin and depression are linked was ever produced (and they have looked).

The numbers needed to treat for SSRI is approximately 7, meaning that it will take seven persons treated with SSRI for one person to react favorably.  So it works for one person out of seven, and apparently, you are that person.