Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Iron infusion wave

[An...]

I had to have an iron infusion, I was doing really well. 12 hours later I feel like I’m in a massive wave. Has anyone experienced an iron infusion whilst tapering. Currently tapering diazapem 

• Like 1

[8b...]

Hi! Iron infusions can make even a non psych med person feel pretty crappy! This typically only lasts a few days/weeks. Can I ask which brand you received? Also, did you have your vitamin D or phosphate tested prior to receiving the infusion? sometimes when people are on the low side of one or both of those (vit d, phosphate) an Iron infusion can make you feel really gross for a period of time after the infusion, this definitely doesn't happen to everyone but isn't uncommon either. 

[An...]
1 hour ago, [[I...] said:

Hi! Iron infusions can make even a non psych med person feel pretty crappy! This typically only lasts a few days/weeks. Can I ask which brand you received? Also, did you have your vitamin D or phosphate tested prior to receiving the infusion? sometimes when people are on the low side of one or both of those (vit d, phosphate) an Iron infusion can make you feel really gross for a period of time after the infusion, this definitely doesn't happen to everyone but isn't uncommon either. 

Hey thanks so much for replying, yes I’m aware they make you feel bad. But the issue is, I am experiencing heightened anxiety and insomnia. I’m extremely paranoid I haven’t felt this in a month… I have always been low in vit D but this summer I was out in the sun a lot, took my vit D supplements on time and regularly and the first time in years my doctor was very happy with my Vit D. But my iron was extremely low, I’m not sure what the medication name is but I will call and get it when the clinic opens 

[8b...]

Personally if I was in your shoes I would be asking to have my phosphate levels tested. If you have an infusion with low vit d and low phosphorus it can lead to hypophosphatemia (not always, but it does happen) which can give someone a slew of symptoms. If that's normal then I would either chalk it up to symptoms from the iron infusion itself or a wave from the infusion. Its not super important to know which brand of infusion you took, I was just wondering because more people seem to have side effects with Venofer for a short period afterwards. 

No matter what it is, this flare will pass!

[Bo...]

@[It...]

thoughts for someone super low ferritin (11) I’m 8mo out off 3yr taper of K, have terrible akathisia already, on mirt and tapering after given for aka, so sensitive to everything. Using cast iron skillet but that won’t get ferritin up a lot.

Have low vitamin D maybe 18 I think wss last test. 
struggle with this stuff and yet I can’t supplement bc I’m too sensitive and don’t need aka ramping up.

What is a good approach for people very low in iron or ferritin and can’t take supplements and sounds like infusions can be hard on systems.

id there a way to do small amounts of infusion at a time? Or is that not a thing? Like every few weeks get a small amount until the full dose is reached?

have you heard one brand the infusion better tolerated?

thankd and I am sure others might see this and wonder too .:)

[Tw...]
14 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

@[It...]

thoughts for someone super low ferritin (11) I’m 8mo out off 3yr taper of K, have terrible akathisia already, on mirt and tapering after given for aka, so sensitive to everything. Using cast iron skillet but that won’t get ferritin up a lot.

struggle with this stuff and yet I can’t supplement bc I’m too sensitive and don’t need aka ramping up.

What is a good approach for people very low in iron or ferritin and can’t take supplements and sounds like infusions can be hard on systems.

id there a way to do small amounts of infusion at a time? Or is that not a thing? Like every few weeks get a small amount until the full dose is reached?

7 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I had to have an iron infusion, I was doing really well. 12 hours later I feel like I’m in a massive wave. Has anyone experienced an iron infusion whilst tapering. Currently tapering diazapem 

Good luck with your tapering diazepam. My prayers are with you. Positive thinking is crucial. 

What is an iron infusion ? 

[8b...]
18 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

@[It...]

Hey boges, 

I totally understand your concerns. I'm actually severely iron deficient myself (my last ferritin was 2) and also still am not at a point where I'm ready to take supplements or an infusion. I'm finally at a stage (4.5 years later) where I'm mostly symptom free and I'm just not willing to risk the setback. I know and have spoken with many people who have had an iron infusion and/or take supplements and seem to do just fine but that's not my personal experience so I just won't risk it. 

A few things here. 

What is your hemoglobin? That's the really important one. Someone can be iron deficient and not anemic for a long time, and if your intaking enough dietary iron that on its own will help prevent you from becoming anemic. 

There's two types of iron, heme and non heme iron. Non Heme iron comes from plant sources (dark leafy greens, lentils, nuts and seeds etc) but it is not easily absorbed (only as little as 2%-15%). Plants also have phytates and oxalates which further block iron absorption making non heme iron not a good source of absorbable dietary iron. Heme iron on the other hand, which comes from meats, and is specifically high in beef and organ meat is very bio available and we absorb considerably more of it (as much as 35%). 

All iron absorption is blocked by calcium (basically anything more then 40mg) so anytime you're taking in a high iron meal you want to be avoiding dairy or anything high in calcium. Eggs also inhibit iron absorption, contrary to popular belief they are not at all a good source of iron.

Iron absorption is also impacted by vitamin C intake, and pairing your iron rich foods with vitamin c (either a supplement or a vit c rich food like an orange or a bell pepper) will also help DRASTICALLY with your body's ability to absorb iron. 

Keep up with the cast iron too! Even small amounts are helpful! 

[An...]
3 hours ago, [[B...] said:

@[It...]

Oh I’m so sorry to hear this. I shop on iherb, and I grab the 50,000 iud. Vit d does ramp up my symptoms aswell but I was having a piece of steak and for 5 weeks I took 1 50,000 iud once a week. I had one day of ramped symptoms. Yes I believe that this iron infusion has sent me into a big wave and I’m sure it will pass, hopefully soon. As the brain always heals, unfortunately my iron was extremely low and it had to be done, my doctor ask how I’m alive ☹️

[An...]
5 hours ago, [[I...] said:

Personally if I was in your shoes I would be asking to have my phosphate levels tested. If you have an infusion with low vit d and low phosphorus it can lead to hypophosphatemia (not always, but it does happen) which can give someone a slew of symptoms. If that's normal then I would either chalk it up to symptoms from the iron infusion itself or a wave from the infusion. Its not super important to know which brand of infusion you took, I was just wondering because more people seem to have side effects with Venofer for a short period afterwards. 

No matter what it is, this flare will pass!

Do you think I should test my vitamin d levels again I’m due for another blood test in 8 weeks my doctor will refuse to give me one sooner apparently . Thank you so much for thisb

[An...]
On 03/05/2024 at 11:56, [[B...] said:

@[It...]

I’m not a doctor but beef liver is very high in iron, having it fresh is hard. Maybe incorporate beef liver capsules into your diet. And juice fresh beetroot with organges for 3 months and have that daily. I hear they are loaded with iron. In my case my iron was extremely low and the infusion had to be done unfortunately still feeling soooo crap. Feels Like I’m in semi acute cold turkey 

[An...]
On 03/05/2024 at 12:12, [[T...] said:

Good luck with your tapering diazepam. My prayers are with you. Positive thinking is crucial. 

What is an iron infusion ? 

I’m tapering diazapem I was on 75mgs last June-July I’m down to around 13.25 mgs 

and iron infusion is a drip of iron infused straight into your vein to raise levels immediately