Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How do I stop taking Pregabalin?

[bi...]

I have been off benzodiazepines for about 1.5 years. Recently, I experienced a severe resurgence of symptoms, leading me to check into the local psychiatric ward.

During my stay, I was prescribed Pregabalin (300mg/day), which I have been taking for the past 5 months. I have now decided to taper off this medication, but the smallest available dose in capsules is 75mg. Currently, I am down to 75mg/day, taken only at nighttime, but the withdrawal symptoms have been unbearable. I am considering reinstating the morning dosage of 75mg.

I am extremely concerned that I will not be able to discontinue Pregabalin without experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms.

I have thought of a few potential strategies. Firstly, I am considering requesting a substitution with Gabapentin, as it is available in tablet form and may allow for a more gradual tapering process. Alternatively, I am contemplating switching back to benzodiazepines, as I found it easier to taper off them compared to Pregabalin.

I am feeling desperate and unsure of what to do next. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

[bi...]

I'm not even sure that Pregabalin can be substituted with Gabapentin or benzos.

[PE...]

Gabapentin is basically just like pregabalin/lyrica but much weaker. I think 300mg pregabalin is like 900mg Gabapentin. 

So you can just keep on tapering the prega. Just mabey with a slower pace. 

Starting taking benzo again after you stopped once might introduce more withdrawal symptoms you had the first time and is called kindling. 

[PE...]

I have a close friend that was on 900mg pregabalin/lyrica and did a cold turkey. It was really rough but she was totally fine after 3 months. It's not dangerous to come off this fast as with benzos just very mentally uncomfortable. 

[PE...]
52 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

I'm not even sure that Pregabalin can be substituted with Gabapentin or benzos.

It can for sure but you have to take lots of gabapentin to equal pregabalin. 

[Ca...]

Bionic--ask the pharmacist. No -- don't ever reinstate the benzos.

Are you near a compounding pharmacy. They might be able to compound it for you at lower doses.

Try not to updose on it. This wil pass for sure. You've made great progress.

If you can, stay away from the psych hospitals. Their only tools are meds.

I am so sorry you're in this situation. However, many have been in your place and gotten through it and you will too.

We are all here for you!