Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering Ativan and Lunesta, is 3mg to 2mg Lunesta too big of a jump?

[Pe...]

I’ve been tapering my Ativan (I’m down from 2mg, currently at 0.875mg and have been at this dose for 6 days). My doctor thinks now is the time to hold my Ativan where it is or go back up to 1mg and decrease my lunesta.

I’m on 3mg of lunesta, and she wants me to drop to 2mg tonight. Is that going to be insane? I’ve been on it for about 5 years and took it and other benzos long term, at multiple different points in the past, as I was prescribed them by doctors and didn’t know about the problems. I’ve been taking Ativan nightly for 2 years, I only take it at night and only figured out is was an issue when my intra-dose withdrawal got bad. 

My doctor said the pharmacy wouldn’t give me both 2mg and 1mg lunesta to taper it more slowly. Is it nuts to bump back up my Ativan dose and make such a big cut to my lunesta dose? I get intra-dose withdrawal everyday. I’m bedbound and having tons of symptoms but I also have a serious chronic illness. I am really concerned about making too be of a cut, but also, if it would be possible to just go from 3mg to 2mg without a devastatingly bad or long lasting increase in my symptoms, then I want to do it. 

How risky would it be to bump my Ativan back up to 1mg tonight and take the lunesta down to 2mg? If I react really poorly, is it going to be too hard to go back to 0.875 of Ativan tomorrow night and 3mg of lunesta? I don’t want to make things worse. I’m just super sick, and not sleeping much at all. 

Any and all help is very welcome, thank you! 

[ns...]
20 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I’ve been tapering my Ativan (I’m down from 2mg, currently at 0.875mg and have been at this dose for 6 days). My doctor thinks now is the time to hold my Ativan where it is or go back up to 1mg and decrease my lunesta.

I’m on 3mg of lunesta, and she wants me to drop to 2mg tonight. Is that going to be insane? I’ve been on it for about 5 years and took it and other benzos long term, at multiple different points in the past, as I was prescribed them by doctors and didn’t know about the problems. I’ve been taking Ativan nightly for 2 years, I only take it at night and only figured out is was an issue when my intra-dose withdrawal got bad. 

My doctor said the pharmacy wouldn’t give me both 2mg and 1mg lunesta to taper it more slowly. Is it nuts to bump back up my Ativan dose and make such a big cut to my lunesta dose? I get intra-dose withdrawal everyday. I’m bedbound and having tons of symptoms but I also have a serious chronic illness. I am really concerned about making too be of a cut, but also, if it would be possible to just go from 3mg to 2mg without a devastatingly bad or long lasting increase in my symptoms, then I want to do it. 

How risky would it be to bump my Ativan back up to 1mg tonight and take the lunesta down to 2mg? If I react really poorly, is it going to be too hard to go back to 0.875 of Ativan tomorrow night and 3mg of lunesta? I don’t want to make things worse. I’m just super sick, and not sleeping much at all. 

Any and all help is very welcome, thank you! 

@Libertas, @Colin?