Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dependent after just two week?

[Be...]

My mother took Xanax (.5mg tabs) over about 6 times in two weeks. She's in her mid-80s. She also was drinking Scotch on some days.
She seems to be going through some pretty awful withdrawals. Is this possible or is it more likely some other medical issue?

She has stopped drinking and is not taking any Xanax now.
Her symptoms are lack of appetite, anxiety, depression, sweating, lightheadedness, and depersonalization.

[Br...]

Hello @[Be...] - I'm glad to learn your mother has stopped taking the Xanax.  It's possible to develop dependency after very short term use.  If she has any history of starting and stopping a benzo, that could also be a factor in having the withdrawal symptoms you describe.  Has she started and stopped a benzo previously?

Did she stop drinking alcohol at the same time that she stopped the Xanax?  Without knowing anything about her history with alcohol it's hard to say whether this might be a factor in her current symptoms.

I'm very sorry she's suffering with rough symptoms.  It must be very hard on her, and on you as well.  But from what you've described it sounds like stopping was the right approach.  We generally suggest tapering when someone has been taking a benzo for more than a few weeks and that doesn't seem to be the case for your mother.  I hope her symptoms lift and fade away soon.