Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taper strategy

[20...]

I have a history with Klonopin.  I was on in consistently, but not full time over about 10 years.  I quit cold turkey and that was a disaster that led me to this forum.  I had a terrible doctor that didn't warn me or give me any guidance on tapering.  Later,  I tapered from about 0.75 mg over about 90 days.

Happily, I was off it for about 4 years.  Last summer, I had a number of big stressors at the same time and decided to go back on.  It did really help.  I was having chest pains and short panic attacks. Now about 10 months later, I've decided to taper off again.  It varies, but I'm taking about 0.5-0.75 mg.  Over the past month, I noticed the effectiveness has gone down, and I needed to up it about 0.25mg and that has be motivated to want to come off.  I don't like the increasing dosage.  The bulk of my stressors have now been eliminated and I feel I have new tools to address them, so I'm in a bettter place to come off.  The hard part is the normal brain reaction to coming off.

The last time I took a very scientific approach, dissolved the pill in milk and used an eyedropper to taper in small percentages (~1%/day).    

My questions:

1- Is that still one of the best taper methods (dissolving in milk) ?

2 - Because the length of time is significantly reduced, I feel that maybe I can taper over ~30 days.  I only have medication for 45 day max.  What is your recommendation on the length?  Is there some "rule of thumb" ?

3- In the middle of my taper, I'm going on a trip overseas and concerned about getting milk daily, is there another liquid that works (other than water) that is easy to get?

Any help is really appreciated.  This forum really helped me in the past.  Thanks!