Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

DRINKING ALCOHOL - WILL I HAVE TO STOP DURING MY TAPER?

[Mo...]

Hello everyone!

It's been quite a few years since i've been on here because well, I got out of the hell I was going through with Ativan and subsequent attempts by well intentioned but ill-informed doctors and psychiatrists (yes even them!) to help me stop come off it.  I knew my body had become dependent in just a few weeks but they all said that it was impossible and that it was all in my head.  CT Ativan, switch to seroquel, another drug which starts with an S, then to olanzapine, back to Ativan at a lower dose...it just really screwed me up.  I did my homework, reading alot from this forum actually and FINALLY found a psych who agreed that my body had become dependent and transferred me slowly to diazepam.  I still had intense anxiety as I didn't know what the heck was going on this time around (derealization being the major one) so I was on disability for about two and a half years.  Long story short; I found a wonderful acceptance based anxiety program, got back to work and to living again, i'm nearing recovery and am ready to start my taper as I find all that diazepam does for me anymore is make me super sleepy, a signpost that my nervous system has calmed the heck down!

Now, I understand that benzos and alcohol are never a good idea but a glass if wine here and there over the last year hasn't done me any harm.  I also enjoy gin but I buy the alcohol free one and i'm happy with this if it's all I can drink during my taper.

My question to all you experienced folks is the following.  Is it imperative that I have NO ALCOHOL during my taper or can I sneak a glass once a month or so? I truly mean ONCE a month.

This taper is important to me because i'm tired of being tired and would like to feel emotions fully like before.  I'm in no rush at all to get off them though, it will take as long as it takes and I have the support and guidance of a wonderful pharmacist who is on board with the Ashton method.

I thank you all in advance for any honest answers you can give me.

Cheers!

MonkeyPig

[Ch...]
13 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Is it imperative that I have NO ALCOHOL during my taper or can I sneak a glass once a month or so? I truly mean ONCE a month.

Alcohol and benzos both act on the same GABA receptors, so consuming alcohol will be counterproductive during a taper.

• Like 2

[Re...]
27 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Hello everyone!

It's been quite a few years since i've been on here because well, I got out of the hell I was going through with Ativan and subsequent attempts by well intentioned but ill-informed doctors and psychiatrists (yes even them!) to help me stop come off it.  I knew my body had become dependent in just a few weeks but they all said that it was impossible and that it was all in my head.  CT Ativan, switch to seroquel, another drug which starts with an S, then to olanzapine, back to Ativan at a lower dose...it just really screwed me up.  I did my homework, reading alot from this forum actually and FINALLY found a psych who agreed that my body had become dependent and transferred me slowly to diazepam.  I still had intense anxiety as I didn't know what the heck was going on this time around (derealization being the major one) so I was on disability for about two and a half years.  Long story short; I found a wonderful acceptance based anxiety program, got back to work and to living again, i'm nearing recovery and am ready to start my taper as I find all that diazepam does for me anymore is make me super sleepy, a signpost that my nervous system has calmed the heck down!

Now, I understand that benzos and alcohol are never a good idea but a glass if wine here and there over the last year hasn't done me any harm.  I also enjoy gin but I buy the alcohol free one and i'm happy with this if it's all I can drink during my taper.

My question to all you experienced folks is the following.  Is it imperative that I have NO ALCOHOL during my taper or can I sneak a glass once a month or so? I truly mean ONCE a month.

This taper is important to me because i'm tired of being tired and would like to feel emotions fully like before.  I'm in no rush at all to get off them though, it will take as long as it takes and I have the support and guidance of a wonderful pharmacist who is on board with the Ashton method.

I thank you all in advance for any honest answers you can give me.

Cheers!

MonkeyPig

As you know since you are informed, anything you take during benzo tapering and withdrawal can complicate the process. If you "taper clean" and just take the benzo you will be able to have clarity. It is really up to you and your risk tolerance. It seems like you have been through so much already...

The Ashton Manual hasn't been updated since the '90s. A new guidebook was released this year by Dr. Mark Horowitz called, "The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs." You might want to check it out before you start tapering.

• Like 2

[Mo...]

Thank you both Chester and Rebecca, I’m going to do it clean…zero alcohol for me!  

Also, thank you Rebecca for the reading…it’s really appreciated!

Cheers!

MO