Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I think I made a mistake..

[Lu...]

So I am 2 months off a Xanax cold turkey and have been feeling the windows of normalcy and peace returning over the last week and felt a tremendous amount of healing taking place. Then 2 days ago my allergies began to kick in as it is spring time where I live and I started my usual relatively high dose Zyrtec (I have bad allergies) and corticosteroid nasal spray thinking nothing of it. I felt a little off after taking it the first day and by the Second day I felt like I back slid about 75% of my healing. I feel like I am almost back in acute now. I absolutely did not take it today but I feel the Zyrtec and steroid spray completely destabilized me. I guess I should have researched how it would have affected my very overly sensitive brain right now but I made a mistake 😔 is this normal or can anyone relate to antihistamines and steroids effecting them this way?? I’m scared I ruined all of my amazing hard fought  progress. Ahhhhhhh.

[Re...]

Hello @[Lu...], I am really sorry and you definitely did not ruin your recovery, you will be back to your baseline very soon (a day, or a few days maximum). I used antihistamines without any issues during my ongoing recovery and I did not encounter any issues, I have heard similar experiences from people. The only thing I have is some unusual drowsiness.  Corticosteroid products, on the other hand, do cause some temporary flare ups in most people going through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Please be careful, and do some research before taking medications, even if you had no issues with them before. 

I recently consumed a bonbon that had some alcohol totally by accident, I think the stress I was causing to myself revved me up, not the alcohol. Everything will be okay :) 

[Lu...]

@[Re...] thank you so much for the kind words and information, I have been losing my mind the last couple days trying to figure out why I went back into acute. It must be the steroid spray, honestly I think I might just be done taking any medicine altogether after this debacle and finding homeopathic ways to deal with everything. I’m praying this begins to get better again soon. I’m so upset with myself. I was feeling such relief this past week. Aw well, another lesson learned. Thank you for the help my friend :) 

• Like 1

[No...]

I am still on Klonopin and have the same allergy. Never have issues with steroid spray so who knows.. Be careful with Zyrtec too. Wish you fast recovery.

[Ma...]

Try local honey-believe it or not it really helps with allergies! 🤧 

• Love 1

[Re...]
7 hours ago, [[L...] said:

So I am 2 months off a Xanax cold turkey and have been feeling the windows of normalcy and peace returning over the last week and felt a tremendous amount of healing taking place. Then 2 days ago my allergies began to kick in as it is spring time where I live and I started my usual relatively high dose Zyrtec (I have bad allergies) and corticosteroid nasal spray thinking nothing of it. I felt a little off after taking it the first day and by the Second day I felt like I back slid about 75% of my healing. I feel like I am almost back in acute now. I absolutely did not take it today but I feel the Zyrtec and steroid spray completely destabilized me. I guess I should have researched how it would have affected my very overly sensitive brain right now but I made a mistake 😔 is this normal or can anyone relate to antihistamines and steroids effecting them this way?? I’m scared I ruined all of my amazing hard fought  progress. Ahhhhhhh.

Very common. This can happen even after years off, which is why it is the best bet to avoid all drugs in my opinion. There is no such thing as a benign drug. As inhumane as it sounds, I suffer through these issues without treating them. The possible setback just isn't worth it to me. Anything you take -- even homeopathic remedies, vitamins or minerals -- can have side effects. There is more info here. I hope you recover from this setback quickly. Maybe you can try a low histamine diet for allergies.

Edited by [Re...]
  • Like 1