Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Sky Diving

[Kr...]

People talk about exposure therapy. What about forcing yourself to really do something radical like sky diving or zip lining, etc?

my thinking is maybe something super radical might work to break the brain fear of bwd.

i heard Angie Peacock forced herself to go skiing with her friends and go up in the chairlifts while she felt afraid she did it. She says that was a real turnaround point for her. I know she wasn’t in acute and neither am I but I’m still with mental and physical sxs.

Not asking you to tell me what I should do, just curious what people might think or if they have similar stories to Angie’s.

Sick of feeling like a victim of this crap. ❤️

• Like 2

I guess we're all different and what is going to happen to you after smth super radical depends. I tried once, not during the benzo journey though, a kind of skydiving. I didn't go mad but was scared to panic... So i, personally, wouldn't do it, sure not now. Perhaps a bit later. In general, i like extreme)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I done it too when i was 16! First time i flew in a airplane too. It was super fun!

Don't remember much coming out of the plane..

It might work as some kind of chock therapy! I would do it :)

Actually I had my bit of a sort of shock therapy at the end of my benzo tapering and it did work. Exactly about the time, i first got a bit better but i wouldn't do it deliberately.

16 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

What did you do?

In the start of the 19th century they used chock therapy in the mental care. From hot and cold showers to building bridges they removed under the feets of patients while they were walking on them.

Doctors had a fun time back then :)

In fact it was just a tough chain of circumstances. The least of which was a great fire nextdoor. 

That shock therapy of 19th century doesn't sound too nice:classic_blink:

[Ka...]
11 hours ago, [[K...] said:

People talk about exposure therapy. What about forcing yourself to really do something radical like sky diving or zip lining, etc?

my thinking is maybe something super radical might work to break the brain fear of bwd.

i heard Angie Peacock forced herself to go skiing with her friends and go up in the chairlifts while she felt afraid she did it. She says that was a real turnaround point for her. I know she wasn’t in acute and neither am I but I’m still with mental and physical sxs.

Not asking you to tell me what I should do, just curious what people might think or if they have similar stories to Angie’s.

@[Kr...] I think you may be onto something. It’s really interesting to take exposure therapy to a new realm & that of challenging ourselves. It could just be a jolt to refocus, an adrenaline rush of sorts & to push for accomplishment & all the satisfaction that may bring. If we don’t try we will never know! 

[Di...]
11 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I think about things like this a lot. Not necessarily skydiving type stuff, but I often just want to do something to restart my life. I feel like my life is on hold now with all of these waves (I jumped 14 weeks ago after 20 years on Xanax). When I get a window of feeling close to normal, it makes all of this seem worth it….