Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How do you handle this issue?

[Re...]

How do you handle it when people tell you that you "sound better" and "look better" when you are still so sick? I understand what they are trying to be encouraging or positive but it hurts to hear on a level when you don't feel better.

[PE...]
12 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

How do you handle it when people tell you that you "sound better" and "look better" when you are still so sick? I understand what they are trying to be encouraging or positive but it hurts to hear on a level when you don't feel better.

Yeah.. if someone says that now when I know I look like shit, they are lying trying to get me happy.

My true friends don't say that, they say i look like shit.

Edited by [PE...]

[Re...]
40 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Yeah.. if someone says that now when I know I look like shit, they are lying trying to get me happy.

My true friends don't say that, they say i look like shit.

I have been in this for so long now that people have seen me looking like a skeleton and now with more weight on and cognitively better, etc. So there has been some physical progress in their eyes. One person even commented that I was walking sideways and now I walk better. I have a hard time with people calling me saying I "sound better." I think they just don't have anything else to say.

For me, it depends on who is telling these positive words and, most important, in what tone. If i hear it's sincere, i'm grateful and believe i'm really better even if i don't feel it atm. Otherwise it annoys me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, [[R...] said:

I have been in this for so long now that people have seen me looking like a skeleton and now with more weight on and cognitively better, etc. So there has been some physical progress in their eyes. One person even commented that I was walking sideways and now I walk better. I have a hard time with people calling me saying I "sound better." I think they just don't have anything else to say.

@[Re...], i think, at least, some of the people really mean what they say, especially those who notice the difference. Guess sometimes it's better seen from outside. They seem to care or admit the obvious and aren't deceived by benzo.

Edited by [...]

[St...]
5 hours ago, [[R...] said:

From their perspective, they might be seeing progress that you maybe aren't even aware of because you are still in the trenches fighting!

I can understand why you might find it frustrating, but try seeing it as people doing their best to support and encourage you.

In the worst case they are cheering you on, in the best case they are actually commenting sincerely on what they are observing 😊

• Like 1

[Ma...]

You say, Thank you. That’s all. This is your journey Rebecca-be gracious and accept the kind gesture.

The world keeps turning and the sun keeps rising each and every day and for those not injured in any fashion-be it cancer, ALS, benzo injury-people are living their lives, as they should be. And you/us are living a separate (for me, private) journey of healing.

Say Thank you, and keep moving, moving forward!

• Like 1
  • Love 2