Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

1 month post jump and suffering.. Normal?

[St...]

I'm 1 month post jump today and I feel absolutely horribly.. Symptoms seem to be getting worse? 😞

Very High anxiety, wierd pinching pains around my chest/heart/lunges, feeling weak, shaking, light headed, tired, shortness of breath, odd sleep troubles, hard to focus, and more.. I basically can't even leave my home atm.

The stabbing/pinching/dull pains in the chest are especially concerning to me.

Did anyone experience something similar and how long did it take before you started feeling better? I'm basically looking for a little reassurance that this is "normal" and that brighter days are ahead.

I'm currently on Pregabalin 3 × 150mg daily and 15mg Mirtazapin before bed. 

I was originally on Rivotril, I think 1-2mg daily for at least 1-2 years.. But I tapered down over a six month period like 1 1/2 years ago. I was down to a quarter or half a 1mg pill I believe.

I was then briefly put on Xanax before switching to 5mg Diazepam daily, which I then tapered down from during the last 6 months or so. It was a very rough taper with 50% cuts.

[Re...]

Hello @[St...]

I had exactly the same symptoms you are mentioning, I had shortness of breath and terrible chest and thoracal pain during the first days of benzodiazepine withdrawal. It became disturbingly strong every time the barometric pressure dropped, too (weather changes), with pounding heart, elevated pulse rate. 

These symptoms are almost gone. The elevated heart rate stays and does bother me, but there is no pain, no reaction before weather changes.

How long it takes? I really cant tell you... Mine were better at 2 months off, than turned to a bit worse about month 4-5, than were gone, then returned again, but not that intense. It did not make any sense how it has been changing, and that is often the case with benzodiazepine withdrawal. 

It really does get better with time! If you have doubts, dont hesitate to get checked by your doctor. But, for me, it has been a sensation directly associated with my over rapid cessation. It is important for central nervous system to calm down, that takes time, in my opinion, taking the medications how they are for a while might be, too, beneficial. 

Take care @[St...]

• Like 1

[St...]

Thank you very much for your response and kind words, I really appreciate it!

I wish you all the best as well. Strength and healing 🙏

• Like 1

[St...]

If any other people could share their experiences I would really appreciate it 🙏

[PE...]
4 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I'm 1 month post jump today and I feel absolutely horribly.. Symptoms seem to be getting worse? 😞

Very High anxiety, wierd pinching pains around my chest/heart/lunges, feeling weak, shaking, light headed, tired, shortness of breath, odd sleep troubles, hard to focus, and more.. I basically can't even leave my home atm.

Did anyone experience something similar and how long did it take before you started feeling better? I'm basically looking for a little reassurance that this is "normal" and that brighter days are ahead.

I was originally on Rivotril, I think 1-2mg daily for at least 1-2 years.. But I tapered down over a six month period like 1 1/2 years ago. I was down to a quarter or half a 1mg pill I believe.

I was then briefly put on Xanax before switching to 5mg Diazepam daily, which I then tapered down from during the last 6 months or so. It was a very rough taper with 50% cuts.

1 month of is the most horrible time IMO!

We didn't have the same symptoms but you're still in the acute phase buddy :)

you will get better..

[St...]
Just now, [[P...] said:

1 month of is the most horrible time IMO!

We didn't have the same symptoms but you're still in the acute phase buddy :)

you will get better..

Thank you for the reply.

I guess you are right.. It was just that up until now, I would get better after around 3 weeks after a cut.

Post jump has been completely different. But then again, this is uncharted territory for me and I find the uncertainty frightening 😞

• Like 1

[PE...]
17 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

Thank you for the reply.

I guess you are right.. It was just that up until now, I would get better after around 3 weeks after a cut.

Post jump has been completely different. But then again, this is uncharted territory for me and I find the uncertainty frightening 😞

Yeah I get that I remember it like a bad nightmare!

Just hang in there you be ok. One day at the time. One hour at the time..

• Like 1

[St...]
40 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

Yeah I get that I remember it like a bad nightmare!

Just hang in there you be ok. One day at the time. One hour at the time..

Thank you again. I really appreciate the supportive words 🙏

• Like 1

[Bu...]

Hi @[St...],

My experience was very much like yours.  I recovered fairly well 2-3 weeks after a cut, but the jumping off was horrible.  It got better and better though, coming and going, just as other folks mentioned.  I had that intense pain in my chest and ribs.  It let up considerable around the 2-ish month mark.

• Like 1

[St...]
3 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Hi @[St...],

My experience was very much like yours.  I recovered fairly well 2-3 weeks after a cut, but the jumping off was horrible.  It got better and better though, coming and going, just as other folks mentioned.  I had that intense pain in my chest and ribs.  It let up considerable around the 2-ish month mark.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps a little knowing that what I'm currently going through sounds "normal".. And not a cause for concern.

Reading other people's experiences is a welcomed support when feeling like this.

• Like 1

[Bu...]
7 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

Reading other people's experiences is a welcomed support when feeling like this.

Oh my, yes!  Sometimes I would cry with sheer relief for knowing I was normal.  Still do upon occasion. :) Hang in there, my friend.

• Like 1

[St...]
3 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Oh my, yes!  Sometimes I would cry with sheer relief for knowing I was normal.  Still do upon occasion. :) Hang in there, my friend.

Thanks again.

I hope you are healing well and found strength 🙏

[Bu...]

Thanks!  You're very kind and considerate to be thinking of other people in the middle of your own suffering.  I'm doing pretty well.  I'm not completely healed yet, but today as I write this, I am eating some left over Easter candy, a chocolate fudge egg.  I definitely could not have had that a few months ago.  You'll get there, too. ❤

• Like 2

[St...]
1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

Thanks!  You're very kind and considerate to be thinking of other people in the middle of your own suffering.  I'm doing pretty well.  I'm not completely healed yet, but today as I write this, I am eating some left over Easter candy, a chocolate fudge egg.  I definitely could not have had that a few months ago.  You'll get there, too. ❤

@[Bu...]

I'm glad to hear you are doing better and enjoying some treats! I hope things continue going well for you 🙏

And thank you again for the support.

[Kh...]
11 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I am at 2 months off this weekend.  I have seen def improvement, yet having the waves and windows patterns folks speak of.  My SXs are chest tightness, some anxiety, head and ear ringing (tinnitus), and general unwell feeling.  Mornings seems to be better.  Late afternoon symptoms show.  I have hope that at 4 or 6 months off maybe things settle back to normal.  You are on the right track.  Keep the faith. 

[dj...]

I felt much better at 1 week off then I did at 1 month off.  Even though benzos may only work for 6-8 hours, they have very long half lives and can stay in the bloodstream and tissue for like 30 days.  That’s why there can be a delay in onset of symptoms.  

[St...]
8 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I am at 2 months off this weekend.  I have seen def improvement, yet having the waves and windows patterns folks speak of.  My SXs are chest tightness, some anxiety, head and ear ringing (tinnitus), and general unwell feeling.  Mornings seems to be better.  Late afternoon symptoms show.  I have hope that at 4 or 6 months off maybe things settle back to normal.  You are on the right track.  Keep the faith. 

Thank you. I wish you good healing and better days 🙏

[St...]
5 hours ago, [[d...] said:

I felt much better at 1 week off then I did at 1 month off.  Even though benzos may only work for 6-8 hours, they have very long half lives and can stay in the bloodstream and tissue for like 30 days.  That’s why there can be a delay in onset of symptoms.  

Thank you, I was wondering if something like that was a possibility. I was on Diazepam which has a half life of like 8-12 hours - So it was the longest working benzo out there.. But during my taper I would usually feel better after 3 weeks, so getting hit by such intense symptoms at week 4 has me worried and scared.

I wish you good healing and best of luck on your journey. Thanks for chiming in 🙏

[Kh...]
7 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Thank you, I was wondering if something like that was a possibility. I was on Diazepam which has a half life of like 8-12 hours - So it was the longest working benzo out there.. But during my taper I would usually feel better after 3 weeks, so getting hit by such intense symptoms at week 4 has me worried and scared.

I wish you good healing and best of luck on your journey. Thanks for chiming in 🙏

Jumping definitely different than cuts during a taper imho.  I think you/we are going to see a bit more variation in symptoms as the brain begins its healing process absent any benzos whatsoever.  One hour, one day, one week, one month at a time until it’s behind us.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
[jo...]
On 13/04/2024 at 09:09, [[S...] said:

My symptoms got worse when I was about 5/6 weeks out. I also was on Diazipam. It has been a windows and waves type deal from then. I had a few weeks when I could get out and do things like go to art gallaries and museums etc. Pretty much without problems. No real agorophobia or anxiety to speak of. I was still symptomatic but found them pretty easy to cope with. I would get a bout of depression from about 3pm to 6pm. you could set your watch to it. Really weird.

I was then hit by a wave which I feel like I might be coming out of now I also suspect that the alcohol I drank a day or two before hand because I felt so much better may have had something to do with it! We have to be so careful when we are in windows. We get confident we can handle stuff that we cant yet and pay a price. I had a similar experience with pushing excercise to hard. I only reply because your early pattern sounds similar to mine. I have experienced positive signs at 3 months out and I'm sure you will too.

[re...]

Stillwaters:

I think you have two things going against you please see bold below.

I'm currently on Pregabalin 3 × 150mg daily and 15mg Mirtazapin before bed

This alone could be causing most of your symptoms. It looks like you did 1 mg a month approx. and kept on this trajectory. This was a very direct taper and your percentage of cuts kept increasing as you got lower. That damn long ultra long half life of Diaz has finally caught up to you and those cuts. It looks like you never even held?  If this was your first taper I would be like no problem. But if you have had any history with benzos (which you have sadly) then the next taper IMO has to be CRITICALLY planned and slow no matter what. It's not your fault (maybe your doc's?) as you thought you could do the same 6 month taper as you previously did. It really is common sense to think this way. But psych meds have NO common sense unfortunately and they do all kinds of odd things. I feel they were made intentionally to be on for life and the creators knew this. Just a theory of mine. 

And please for one minute don't discount the other two meds you are on. As they are probably working overtime without the benzo in there now. They have to do the "dirty work" now unfortunately. 

The good news is that you definitely will stabilize in time no matter how you are feeling right now. You are made to. 

My only advice would be to really look at your diet and get as much exercise as your body will allow safely. I think these two things alone and you will start to see a change for the better. 

[re...]

Also Stillwaters:

Lots of people get those stabbing chest pains including me. I so hate them. But realize they are nothing serious. They really aren't. I get catastrophic thoughts when they happen to me too. I exercise like crazy and they actually go away go figure. If it was something more serious I would be put down and I haven't yet godwilling

Such an uncomfortable hell we are all in because of a careless medical industry.