Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Klonopin induced brain injury

[Ma...]

Hi iam from India I was diagnosed with GAD and MDD I had a history of 4 years untreated depression and in my  19 th age for insomnia and anxiety Dr gives me 1 mg klonopin for 2 years then Dr tapered successfully insomnia was the only withdrawal.  I was young and not much knowledge bout the drug after one year my sleep was became bad and dr gives me again klonopin 1 mg and put me for another 2 years then I consulted another psychiatrist and she took me out of the klonopin for 3 months period very Panic situation during taper after stopping i had  experienced severe akathisia, urinary retention I was not able to pass my urine ,derealization i didn't know what the hell is going on still my brain is derealized and I had suicidal ideation one month I hold on then Dr gives me klonopin again please guys give me some suggestions i don't have any one to help iam a 25 year old young men this drug is ruined my life I still want to stop this my muscles all over the body becoming stiff and spasms did my brain overcome this hell is it possible what about taking the drug life time is it a bad idea because I experienced very bad inhumane torture please someone give me suggestions from your experience it should be helpful for me to make decision to taper I am a person who is having depression also please share my request 

[Co...]

Hello @[Ma...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I've approved your first post (you can now post freely), I'm very busy today, so cannot respond properly right now. But I am sure other members soon will be along to help you.

[Re...]

Hello @[Ma...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies from me, too, 

I am glad you found this forum, we have  many kind, helpful and knowledgeable members. 

My heart goes out to you, I am sorry to read how you are feeling.

I hope I understand this correctly, you had to stop Klonopin 2 mg after two years following doctors orders and then you reinstated following another doctors orders (?, broadly). Could you tell us what dose you are taking now? 

The symptoms you are describing are consistent with benzodiazepine withdrawal (link), including the depression you mention. This is a cluster of symptoms that follow over-rapid cessation (etc.), and it often takes a while for medications to take effect once they are reinstated. Our nervous system needs time to calm down after these multiple changes. I can not tell you how long this is going to take, but I can reassure you that you will be getting better and better with time and patience!

I believe it would be worth considering waiting to stabilize on your current dose. Changes to our medications, tapering - especially in this state - takes a toll on our nervous system. This migh lead to a phonomena that happens very often to people, called kindling.

We have many many recovered members on this website, healing from benzodiazepine withdrawal does happen. 

Please let us know how we can support you, 

RR

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Hi 🥲 thank you for considering me and my concerns my worry is i reinstated klonopin now I am out of protracted withdrawal free of withdrawal symptoms but my brain is injured I can feel that I don't know what to describe it's may be like derealized I want to stop this med but my brain is Used to klonopin for years and reinstated that switching to valium help for me or it should be a bad idea. Or i should taper klonopin itself. how long is the best taper period can I move fast if withdrawal symptoms occuring or stay at that reduction for months I am scared that if I experience protracted withdrawal is there any point in doing a long term taper like more than a year or 4 to 5 months taper my query is if I experience severe withdrawal from both slow and fast taper 

[Re...]
On 12/04/2024 at 21:14, [[M...] said:

Hi 🥲 thank you for considering me and my concerns my worry is i reinstated klonopin now I am out of protracted withdrawal free of withdrawal symptoms but my brain is injured I can feel that I don't know what to describe it's may be like derealized I want to stop this med but my brain is Used to klonopin for years and reinstated that switching to valium help for me or it should be a bad idea. Or i should taper klonopin itself. how long is the best taper period can I move fast if withdrawal symptoms occuring or stay at that reduction for months I am scared that if I experience protracted withdrawal is there any point in doing a long term taper like more than a year or 4 to 5 months taper my query is if I experience severe withdrawal from both slow and fast taper 

Welcome to Benzo Buddies @[Ma...]. I am so sorry that you are going through this.

My intuition tells me to tag @[Li...] and @[Wi...] to see if they have any thoughts.

Edited by [Re...]