Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Antihistamine-benzo interaction?

I have pollen allergy, but haven't dared to take antihistamines this year because of tapering. I have read about how antihistamines are increase the sedative effect of benzos. And might in other ways interact with benzos, and exacerbate wd.

Now I tried finding research or info about it again, and it seems that it is only the older types of antihistamines, which do that, not the newer ones.

What is your experience? Is that also your experience?

I mostly experience dry/itchy eyes and nose irritation, so am thinking about only using AH eyedrops, as they mainly have a local effect.

This is the paper I found:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24672891/

"The effects on the central nervous system (CNS) are determined basically by their capacity to cross blood-brain barrier and attach to central H1 receptors.

In general it can be said that first generation AH interact with the BZD increasing the sedative effects of the latter.

However, second generation AH do not increase these sedative effects, ***which makes them the chosen drugs to treat allergic rhinitis/rhino-conjunctivitis and urticaria in patients also receiving BZD."**

Edited by [...]

[Kr...]

Watch it with antihistamines. People think that these drugs are benign but they actually interact with a tremendous amount of foods and substances. 
I’ve heard of people on here having very uncomfortable neurological issues with antihistamine use both during tapering and after jumping.