Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Intrusive thoughts how long they last?

[Pa...]

How long Intrusive thoughts last for you guys in withdrawal? I was on it for 3 months, so i expect maybe 6 months, but i know everyone is different. Thanks for every answer.

[Br...]
42 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

How long Intrusive thoughts last for you guys in withdrawal? I was on it for 3 months, so i expect maybe 6 months, but i know everyone is different. Thanks for every answer.

Hello Paul89,  It's natural to want to know how long to expect withdrawal symptoms like Intrusive thoughts to go on.  The truth is - it varies a lot.  Unfortunately there's no way of predicting.  

You'll find suggestions for coping with intrusive thoughts here.

It would be helpful to know more about your med history, so I have a few questions if you don't mind:

Looking back at some of your posts it looks like you have been off Xanax for about 6 months after taking it for 3 months.  What was your dose?  Did you taper it?  What was your taper like? Have you ever started and stopped a benzo before this?

I'm so sorry you're having such difficult symptoms.You also started and stopped Gabapentin CT so you are likely suffering some withdrawal from that as well. I think I saw you have reduced your mirtazapine (Remeron) dose as well.  Both of those factors could be contributing to your symptoms.  I think your CNS very likely needs some time to settle down.

[Pa...]

@[Br...]

Here is my Story.

I was taken 2mg Xanax for 3 months and taper it about 3 months. Then i was complete off for 6 months. My stress and anxiety came back so i take a GABA Supplement for 3 months ( Gamma Amino Butric Acid 500/1000mg). I thought its ok to do that. Bad mistake! Later i realize it pushes GABA Levels so its similiar mechanism Like Benzos. The Withdrawal from the Supplements was horrific. The whole time i was taking remeron 2-8mg depends on how i feel. I was working for 8 weeks in the Supplement Withdrawal with heavy physical symptoms, at this Point i was taking 8mg Remeron to survive the day. After this 8 weeks i took a breake from work for 6 weeks and cut my remeron to 4mg. Back at work the first week insomnia and anxiety hit me Like a truck, after a week with nearly no sleep the Intrusive thoughts started. Its like loud thoughts like a scream like aaaaaargh or a loud laughing. I know its no hallucinations more like loud thoughts. But only this 2 thoughts. Its not consistant and its a way better when i take enough remeron.

So i gues my CNS is overactive a lot.

Thx for every answer 

[Br...]

Sorry, my mistake -  I misread GABA supplements as Gabapentin.  

Are you taking the same dose of Remeron at the same time every day?  As you probably know, the brain and body crave consistency. Taking the exact same dose daily on a regular schedule can give your brain and body the stability of a consistent blood serum level of the medication. This might help you a lot.

Have you ever taken a benzo before this?

[Pa...]

No i just take Benzos for 3 months and the GABA supplement for 3 months.

I never had problems with my CNS before all Starts with GABA Withdrawal. I got a severe Burnout before the Benzos and GABA, so i guess the Withdrawal put my CNS in heavy danger mode.

[Br...]

The reason I asked about history with benzos is that sometimes prior use of benzos can make withdrawal symptoms more severe.  But now we know that's not a factor for you.