Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Trigger warning (protracted) azithromycin setback?

[fi...]

Today I'm 33 months off 13 years of klonopin. I was having the typical windows and waves pattern since I got off the klonopin. I have definitely seen progress, although it's been very slow.

17 days ago I got a sinus infection. A week went by without improvement so 10 days ago I got prescribed azithromycin. I read that most people have no issues with it. The azithromycin took care of the sinus infection and I felt fine while taking it. It was a 5 day prescription. 2 days after stopping the azithromycin I had a panic attack after a stressful situation. I hadn't had a panic attack since a cold turkey attempt off klonopin 4 years ago. Yesterday I had 2 panic attacks and akithesia came back for the first time in a year. Today my depression is worse than it was during acute. I've also had acid reflux that started after the sinus infection started, and it's gotten worse. So these symptoms are either a delayed reaction to the antibiotics or maybe it's a final wave type of thing. I did read of someone else that had a delayed reaction to antibiotics. 

I guess I'm just posting to see if anyone has had a similar reaction to azithromycin or another antibiotic. Please chime in. Thanks in advance. 

[wi...]

It’s super common but not everyone has a negative reaction. I’m sure you’ll get a ton of responses. 

I took cipro in the very beginning of my taper and it actually made me feel better! Crazy.

• Like 1

[Da...]
9 hours ago, [[f...] said:

Today I'm 33 months off 13 years of klonopin. I was having the typical windows and waves pattern since I got off the klonopin. I have definitely seen progress, although it's been very slow.

17 days ago I got a sinus infection. A week went by without improvement so 10 days ago I got prescribed azithromycin. I read that most people have no issues with it. The azithromycin took care of the sinus infection and I felt fine while taking it. It was a 5 day prescription. 2 days after stopping the azithromycin I had a panic attack after a stressful situation. I hadn't had a panic attack since a cold turkey attempt off klonopin 4 years ago. Yesterday I had 2 panic attacks and akithesia came back for the first time in a year. Today my depression is worse than it was during acute. I've also had acid reflux that started after the sinus infection started, and it's gotten worse. So these symptoms are either a delayed reaction to the antibiotics or maybe it's a final wave type of thing. I did read of someone else that had a delayed reaction to antibiotics. 

I guess I'm just posting to see if anyone has had a similar reaction to azithromycin or another antibiotic. Please chime in. Thanks in advance. 

Is that an antibiotic?  It sometimes takes a month or more for people to recover from antibiotics - various symptoms.  It might be that.

[fi...]
6 hours ago, [[D...] said:

Is that an antibiotic?  It sometimes takes a month or more for people to recover from antibiotics - various symptoms.  It might be that.

Yes it's an antibiotic. Luckily I woke up today with no signs of the terrible symptoms I've had this week. Hopefully it stays this way. 

[Da...]
1 hour ago, [[f...] said:

Yes it's an antibiotic. Luckily I woke up today with no signs of the terrible symptoms I've had this week. Hopefully it stays this way. 

So happy to hear.  My first thought is to always jump to benzos with every symptom I have lol - we are human and will have other things happen as well :)

• Like 1

[Da...]
17 hours ago, [[w...] said:

It’s super common but not everyone has a negative reaction. I’m sure you’ll get a ton of responses. 

I took cipro in the very beginning of my taper and it actually made me feel better! Crazy.

When I was treated For H-Pylori with multiple antibiotics, I felt amazing for quite a while after :)

• Like 1