Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Why do I feel like I’m choking?

[Kr...]

I saw the allergy doctor today and she said I’m not allergic to anything but then why do I feel like my throat swells and kinda closes? She says it’s mental anxiety and wants me to explore cbt with the counselor in the same building as her office. I told her about stopping benzos and delayed wd sxs and basically she rolled her eyes and asked if I was a full time patient of dr. google. This throat tightening always comes with increased ear ringing and heart pounding. 

[Bu...]

Hey @[Kr...],

While I think that CBT is generally a good idea, it makes me angry when doctors dismiss our situations and our symptoms as being all emotional.  I'm really sorry that happened to you.

My throat swelling and tightening turned out to be silent reflux, which then eventually, was not-so-silent.   Part of my personal experience of "benzo belly".   It is slowly improving.  For a while though I did have acid reflux bad enough that it ended up reaching my ears and causing pain and swelling, so maybe there is some connection there for you too. 

Then again, they may have nothing to do with each other except that they are all withdrawal symptoms.   It always amazes me what symptoms seem to link together for different people.  There often doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.   

I'm really sorry you're dealing with this.

• Like 2

[Nu...]

I never really had a throat swelling feeling, but I was constantly salivating which made it hard to swallow because I would swallow so much. Swallowing so much seemed to give a feeling similar to my throat swelling. Tough to discern the two.

Interestingly, hypersalivation is listed on the FDA's monograph for clonazepam...

Edited by [Nu...]
  • Like 1

[ns...]

Hi Krissirk888, 

Hey I have this throat closing, numbness thing happening too. It comes with hypersalivating as well.

When my symptoms revv up or I get anxious, this is what happens along with my other symptoms. 

It's pretty uncomfortable for harmless. I wish it would go away buy its one that's lasted for awhile. It seems to be connected to anxiety but I'm sure it's withdrawal too. My tinnitus is worse with this as well and I feel as though I can't breath. It's all.part of it I suppose. 

I'm sorry your doctor wrote this off as nothing but a Google symptom of nothing! That's heartless!

She obviously has no understanding of how difficult withdrawal is and I hope she never has to find out personally. 

I hope you can rest now hearing that your not alone with this. Im so sure these are withdrawal/anxiety symptoms.  I've had it for awhile and I've connected their with stress, lack of sleep, frustration, irritability and anxiety. 

Hopefully knowing this will help you to focus elsewhere so you won't worry ok

Take care 

Ns

• Like 2

[Re...]
3 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I saw the allergy doctor today and she said I’m not allergic to anything but then why do I feel like my throat swells and kinda closes? She says it’s mental anxiety and wants me to explore cbt with the counselor in the same building as her office. I told her about stopping benzos and delayed wd sxs and basically she rolled her eyes and asked if I was a full time patient of dr. google. This throat tightening always comes with increased ear ringing and heart pounding. 

I had this symptom tapering Seroquel/Quetiapine in benzo withdrawal. I've also experienced the clustering of symptoms as you describe. If this was caused by anxiety and you have experienced anxiety in your life, wouldn't this have come along with it?

She sounds like another doctor who gaslights patients and doesn't know the facts about psych med withdrawal. I am sorry she said this to you. I know how it can make an already difficult situation worse. Eye roll to her right back and big hug to you. Please be confident in your truth.

Time heals benzo withdrawal. Not a bunch of letter therapies and subjecting ourselves to more professionals who don't understand this and try to project labels onto us. (Sorry this makes me upset for you!)

Edited by [Re...]
  • Like 3

[Kr...]

I also just looked at mychart online and in her notes from my visit she put “recommended ref. for mental health issues non specific “ 

and, situational acute health anxiety/hypomania.

can I call and have her remove this? What the hell!!! I’m in a nightmare.

[Ka...]

What! Clinicians form a subjective view of us mere mortals. Hypomania indeed. In UK, if you disagree with what is recorded you can challenge it. It’s a process. I would always say it’s actually very informative to get hold of your notes. First step would maybe be discuss with her. So sorry you’ve found this out. 

[Re...]
2 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I also just looked at mychart online and in her notes from my visit she put “recommended ref. for mental health issues non specific “ 

and, situational acute health anxiety/hypomania.

can I call and have her remove this? What the hell!!! I’m in a nightmare.

Are you in the US? Was she an insurance provider? Doctors have to have a diagnosis to get paid by insurance. If all of your tests are normal, that could be why she put this down -- to get paid. My records are a mess after this. Full of misdiagnoses. I think I will have to hire a lawyer to help me amend them.