Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anxiety symptoms

[ca...]

Can someone please describe a benzo anxiety withdrawal symptom?  Do you feel like you constantly have to take deep breath or catch your breath? Is that part of the anxiety? Thanks 

Edited by [ca...]
  • Like 2

[Re...]

Hello @[ca...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I am really happy you found us! I am really sorry that you are going through such heightened anxiety, this is a very common experience for most of our members, for me as well. 

I would describe benzo anxiety, at least my experience as a complete inability to shut down, constant fight or flight state. Some techniques worked temporarily, but as time is progressing my body is able to reach "calm" again. 

Please tell us about your recovery journey and let us know how we can support you. 

RR

• Like 1

[ca...]

Thanks RR for your reply. It means a lot to me.  I'm starting my tapering and feeling the heightened anxiety along with pressure in my head and unable to relax. 

So feeling that sensation of having to take deep breath and constantly kind of shallow breath normal?

[Re...]

Yes @[ca...]many many of our Buddies report that symptom, in fact if you use the Search function, you will find lots of matches. 

With a symptom led, slow taper these symptoms can be most likely avoided, or they won't be so intense. How long have you been on benzodiazepines and which one? How much have you tapered already? I hope it is ok for me to ask. 

[ca...]

I have been on Klonopin 2 1/2 years, between 2mg per day. I have just tapered .25mg per day. I recently started. I don't know much about this but I know it has to be done slow.

[ns...]
8 minutes ago, [[c...] said:

I have been on Klonopin 2 1/2 years, between 2mg per day. I have just tapered .25mg per day. I recently started. I don't know much about this but I know it has to be done slow.

Carlos, hi.

You're experiencing what some would call chemical anxiety. I would describe it as an enhanced version of panic attacks and anxiety.

When did you start your taper?

You said you tapered .25 per day. How many days?

We recommend a 5 to 10% cut slowly over a period of usually weeks per cut depending on your symptoms and how stable you are between cuts.

Your symptoms are a reflection of your rapid cuts.

I would recommend you start a thread on taper strategies and ask for assistance on tapering ok

Take care

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Correction

[Re...]

@[ca...]The recommended taper rate is 5-10 % of your previous dose every two - three weeks, but some people do smaller reductions and hold their dose for a longer period. I suggest you try to do smaller reductions in the future. 

It is wonderful you found this site, you are getting information just in time!

On this website, you will find general information about tapering and tapering methods (link added). Our other important, general source of information is the Ashton manual. It is also important not to taper other medications while doing this, avoid alcohol for a long time, caffeine as well. 

Please try to read the sources I have inserted and if you encounter any issues in the future, you know where to find us. Our Buddies are helpful, kind and often very knowledgeable :)

• Like 2

[ca...]

Is it recommended to use an SSRI or anxiolitic like Buspar to suppress the anxiety or can it make it worse? 

[Re...]

@[ca...] The experiences are different when it comes to these medications. Some say it helped them, others have a negative effect. In my opinion, it is better to follow such a taper where these are not needed at all, if possible. I have never heard of a medication during benzodiazepine withdrawal that helped everyone.

• Love 1

[ca...]

Last but not least.  Does your brain adapts to the lower dose as you taper down and so on? 

[ns...]
2 minutes ago, [[c...] said:

Last but not least.  Does your brain adapts to the lower dose as you taper down and so on? 

Our brain will eventually heal carlos but it usually takes awhile. Withdrawal is different for everyone. 

You will probably continue to have symptoms as most do. You cut pretty fast and it will take sometime for your body to adjust. Dint cut anymore for awhile. Give yourself some time to stabilize, then you can cut again. Each cut usually for most causes symptoms to intensity and last for a bit but everyone is different ok.

Do you have a scale and a file?

It is recommended that your doses are exactly the same. 

How many times do you dose per day?

I'm adding a link here for a scale and file so you can weigh your cuts ok

Please start a thread in taper strategies ok

Also, you can ask questions about withdrawal here anytime. 

As for anxiety, there is a topic for that too. 

I always recommend watching trey Jones anxiety on YouTube.  He is a great help for those of us suffering from anxiety, panic disorder ocd, ptsd. Etc.

There are many options available for treatment other than medication such as talk therapy, TMS, as well as trey Jones anxiety on YouTube and others. 

Take care ok

Ns

Lobodt Stainless Steel Nail File, Double-Sided Nail File, Metal Nail File, Reusable Natural Nail Art File, Nail Art Tool, Home Salon or Travel Mini Nail File Suitable for Both Men and Women 
https://a.co/d/ajTLJBi

Smart Weigh GEM20-20g x 0.001 grams, High Precision Digital Milligram Jewelry Scale, Reloading, Jewelry and Gems Scale, Calibration Weights and Tweezers Included 
https://a.co/d/4jmoRf8

[ns...]
2 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Our brain will eventually heal carlos but it usually takes awhile. Withdrawal is different for everyone. 

You will probably continue to have symptoms as most do. You cut pretty fast and it will take sometime for your body to adjust. Dint cut anymore for awhile. Give yourself some time to stabilize, then you can cut again. Each cut usually for most causes symptoms to intensity and last for a bit but everyone is different ok.

Do you have a scale and a file?

It is recommended that your doses are exactly the same. 

How many times do you dose per day?

I'm adding a link here for a scale and file so you can weigh your cuts ok

Please start a thread in taper strategies ok

Also, you can ask questions about withdrawal here anytime. 

As for anxiety, there is a topic for that too. 

I always recommend watching trey Jones anxiety on YouTube.  He is a great help for those of us suffering from anxiety, panic disorder ocd, ptsd. Etc.

There are many options available for treatment other than medication such as talk therapy, TMS, as well as trey Jones anxiety on YouTube and others. 

Take care ok

Ns

Lobodt Stainless Steel Nail File, Double-Sided Nail File, Metal Nail File, Reusable Natural Nail Art File, Nail Art Tool, Home Salon or Travel Mini Nail File Suitable for Both Men and Women 
https://a.co/d/ajTLJBi

Smart Weigh GEM20-20g x 0.001 grams, High Precision Digital Milligram Jewelry Scale, Reloading, Jewelry and Gems Scale, Calibration Weights and Tweezers Included 
https://a.co/d/4jmoRf8

As for ssri. Are you already taking an ssri? If so, which one and what us the mg and for how long?

It's important to share as much information about your medications and medications history carlos ok, this way it will make it easier to assist you and know better how we can assist you. 

Ns

[ca...]

Hi Ns, no, I am not taking any SSRI or Buspar.  Only taking Mirtazapine 15mg for sleep and Klonopin 

[ns...]
Just now, [[c...] said:

Hi Ns, no, I am not taking any SSRI or Buspar.  Only taking Mirtazapine 15mg for sleep and Klonopin 

Thank you carlo.

We recommend tapering only one medication at a time ok.

So for now you'll just be focusing on the klonopin. 

Ns

[ns...]
9 minutes ago, [[c...] said:

Thank you, will do.

Carlos I have more questions

When did you take your last dose? What time?

How many times per day do you take it?

When is your next one due?

If you are too symptomatic you could go back to your previous dose, before you cut the .25 until stable. Just a thought.

Don't forget to start a new thread on taper strategies ok

Ask for help with tapering klonopin ok

Ns

[ca...]

I took my last dose this morning but I have to talk to my doctor because I don't have enough meds to go back to my original dose.  I started this whole mess wrong due to lack of information. I feel weak, fatigued. I see my doctor tomorrow but she does not seems to be too knowledgeable on tapering just on prescribing this poison. 

• Like 1

[ca...]

Sometimes is desperation to sleep in the middle of the night I take more and I regret it as I'm running short on my prescription. I think I have to ride the symptoms out as I don't want to go back and up the dosage.  I guess I'm learning the hard way but I will still to what I have to at least a month before I any cutting. This is a learning curve for me. 😏😏

[ca...]

Right now I have 50ea .50mg tablets for the month. The pharmacy will not fill any more prescriptions for now so I will have to suffer a little.

[ns...]
11 minutes ago, [[c...] said:

Right now I have 50ea .50mg tablets for the month. The pharmacy will not fill any more prescriptions for now so I will have to suffer a little.

Ok carlos, so you took a 50% cut if im understands correct.

How many x per day do you take your dose?

Its important to take it the same time everyday. 

If you take it twice per day, you should have enough for 25 days or close to that. Hopefully you can get your refill before you run out.

Don't use them for sleeping pills ok

Take at a set time. If you can't get a refill before you run out, you could cut a little off of each to make up the extra 5 days but I wouldn't recommend it. If it were me, I probably would have to.

Get your thread started in taper strategies.

Best to get started now with a schedule and dosing plan, Weight etc

Get a scale and file if you can. 

[ca...]

10 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Ok carlos, so you took a 50% cut if im understands correct.

How many x per day do you take your dose?

Its important to take it the same time everyday. 

If you take it twice per day, you should have enough for 25 days or close to that. Hopefully you can get your refill before you run out.

Don't use them for sleeping pills ok

Take at a set time. If you can't get a refill before you run out, you could cut a little off of each to make up the extra 5 days but I wouldn't recommend it. If it were me, I probably would have to.

Get your thread started in taper strategies.

Best to get started now with a schedule and dosing plan, Weight etc

Get a scale and file if you can. 

I take one in the morning  and one at night before bed. Is the only thing that helps me relax before the Mirtazapine kicks in.  I need to step up my game and do this right. I feel terrible right now. 

[ns...]
1 hour ago, [[c...] said:

I take one in the morning  and one at night before bed. Is the only thing that helps me relax before the Mirtazapine kicks in.  I need to step up my game and do this right. I feel terrible right now. 

I'm so sorry carlos. It is difficult I know.  I'm in terrible withdrawal right now. I cut yesterday so it's rough. I do understand. 

Twice a day is good!

Don't focus on what you should have done, it doesn't matter now right?

So moving forward is where we are.

When we focus on our symptoms, they tend to dig in. I've learned to change my mind, change my focus. Keeping my hands and mind busy and distracting myself. You'll learn to do this and it helps!

Trey Jones anxiety on YouTube teaches skills and tools to help us understand what we're experiencing. Not withdrawal, anxiety, ocd, ptsd, panic attacks etc and shows us how to deal with these. You.light ck him out ok

As for your klonopin.  Can you get your doctor to listen to you regarding your new taper plan. You can show her/him the ashton manual to show you are serious about tapering and help him understand the seriousness of tapering and hopefully you'll be teaching him as well for the next patient. 

You should have a look at the taper schedule ashton lays out for klonopin. 

Make a copy of it and you'll have it for your doctor. 

It's on this website or you can go to benzodiazepine Coalition website and find it there, sorry I don't have it right now.

We'll get this done carlos. There are many here.that are eager to assist and share their experiences that helps so many. 

You'll get through this ok

It's a difficult path were on buy we do heal. 

With all the help you have here, any questions you have or just need to talk, people here are so helpful!

Remember, no matter what, don't take an extra dose ok, you need those you have left and you need your to be on a very strict schedule for your body to adjust  

It will be difficult not to because you've done it before but you'll have to discipline yourself now.

Distracting yourself will help, 

Emma with therapy in a nutshell on YouTube is another one who can teach you breathing exercises etc to help with symptoms. 

Talk to u soon 

Take care 

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Correction

[ns...]
5 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

I'm so sore carlos. It is difficult I know.  I'm in terrible withdrawal right now. I cut yesterday so it's rough. I do understand. 

Twice a day is good!

Don't focus on what you should have done, it doesn't matter now right?

So moving forward is where we are.

When we focus on our symptoms, they tend to dig in. I've learned to change my mind, change my focus. Keeping my hands and mind busy and distracting myself. You'll learn to do this and it helps!

Trey Jones anxiety on YouTube teaches skills and tools to help us understand what we're experiencing. Not withdrawal, anxiety, ocd, ptsd, panic attacks etc and shows us how to deal with these. You.light ck him out ok

As for your klonopin.  Can you get your doctor to listen to you regarding your new taper plan. You can show her/him the ashton manual to show you are serious about tapering and help him understand the seriousness of tapering and hopefully you'll be teaching him as well for the next patient. 

You should have a look at the taper schedule ashton lays out for klonopin. 

Make a copy of it and you'll have it for your doctor. 

It's on this website or you can go to benzodiazepine Coalition website and find it there, sorry I don't have it right now.

We'll get this done carlos. There are many here.that are eager to assist and share their experiences that helps so many. 

You'll get through this ok

It's a difficult path were on buy we do heal. 

With all the help you have here, any questions you have or just need to talk, people here are so helpful!

Remember, no matter what, don't take an extra dose ok, you need those you have left and you need your to be on a very strict schedule for your body to adjust  

It will be difficult not to because you've done it before but you'll have to discipline yourself now.

Distracting yourself will help, 

Emma with therapy in a nutshell on YouTube is another one who can teach you breathing exercises etc to help with symptoms. 

Talk to u soon 

Take care 

Ns

Carlos, here's a little something to encourage you!

• Love 1

[Re...]

@[ca...]Yes, our brain adapts in time to the changes we apply. It may, however, take a while for it to restore the original homeostatic state (hence the symptoms).

The smaller this change on medication is, the smaller impact this has on our central nervous system, the adaptation is easier.