Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Vagus nerve

I’m currently on a taper from 30 mg down to 10 mg of Valium. Recently, I had two episodes of near fainting. I’m told it’s my vagus nerve that’s irritated. My question is, considering I am still tapering down, will my vagus nerve begin to heal or do I need to be completely off? Any and all responses are appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by [...]
Spelling
  • Like 1

[or...]

Hi Bob and welcome to BB,

What is your history on your Valium, just basic will help us help you?  And then if you could tell us how much you are tapering at a time, just generally more about your history with Valium?  You can see mine here if you are would like, oregonlady's history of benzo and taper, I am so glad you found BB. I wouldn't be doing as good as I am if it weren't for my "peer-group" here, Denise:balloon:

PS I have to get ready for an appt. but others will reach out to you, have no doubt :) I will be back to see how things are going on your thread!

Edited by [or...]

Posted (edited)

Was at 30 mgs for approx 20 years. Started taper 7/23 and am now at 10mgs. Was pretty smooth @2mgs per month until I hit 10mg. That’s when trouble started. I’ve been given so much conflicting info. I’ve seen 2 separate addiction/psych Drs and both suggest at my age (65) to just stay at 10mg for the foreseeable future. I was fine with that but then the near fainting episodes came. Now, I’m basically stuck in my recliner. Very confused and upset.

Edited by [...]
Spelling

[or...]

hey Bob, I just looked back in, but have to keep this short.  If you are feeling bad, more symptoms, you can alway decrease your taper.  I listen to my body and let it tell me when, and how much to taper.

Doctors and others can't really tell us because they aren't in our shoes.  I have always gone the same as you, decreased at a level that was comfy for the most part, for me.  No hard, fast rules for me.  If I need to take smaller cuts/tapers I have done that.

We have to experiment for ourselves if we can do that, meaning we have a prescription, and a doctor that will keep filling it for us.  Some people don't have that "luxury" I understand, if you can make your own decisions, than like me, going by how your body is adapting/stabilizing to each taper will guide you.  Mine is very small, but that's just for me ;)  I also have Clonazepam which has a different half-life than your Valium, it's very long.

I'm weaning off 35 years of 1 mg of C which sounds crazy, but I was very uninformed because I just was one that trusted the doc ;) I'll be back, and others will come in to help you as well, Denise

Edited by [or...]

I guess my real question is, is there anything I can do to help with these symptoms? I’ll worry about finishing my taper later. I literally don’t have a life right now. 

[or...]

I think it is wise to see your doctor. What are your symptoms Bob, besides the light-headed, then fainting spell?  Benzo withdrawals have a ridiculously long list of sxs (symptoms) so if they are symptoms of your wd, then it could be going to fast at a taper.  You can hold your dose, that sounds good if that's what your saying. 

Seeing your doctor is smart though, for his/her opinion, as that might bring you some comfort.

I really gotta go for now, but stick around for other's will probably have more help, more experience than I do :) Denise

PS 2 things I do after setting up my dose for the day, is I get some form of exercise, and I eat right for myself.  Also, are you taking any other medications, even otc's?

1 minute ago, [[b...] said:

you can help heal as you taper, many have healed during a taper but we are all different. i use neuroplastic tools to help my brain and body. its hard work but i do get small results in between flare ups lol. it will help your brain to show it new pathways that you can create and will stay as long as you are consistent xx

May I have more details please?