Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Klonopin taper 2 mg total four times a day

[Cl...]

Hi, I’ve only been taking Klonopin for about seven months now, but man, the stuff has been hell I want off of it. When I asked my psychiatrist this Thursday I wonder if he is going to give me a taper medication or just cut cold turkey. I’m very scared.

[je...]

Hi @[Cl...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. When you say Klonopin has been hell, can you explain what has been happening? Do you want to taper the drug? You are on quite a high dose and 7 months are not short term use and enough time to develop dependency. Your doctor should not cold turkey you as it could potentially be dangerous. We can help you to advocate for yourself. You are not alone. 

[Cl...]

Yes I’m planning to taper, this drug has seriously made my anxiety worse not only that I can’t sleep unless I take a total of 2.2mg a day which is high! But for like the last 3 weeks I typically take it 6am 11pm 4pm and 9pm and lately I’ve been needing like an extra .25mg or I feel really jumpy or bad anxiety my stomach hurts I get dizzy etc. 

[je...]

From what you've described it sounds like you might have reached tolerance. Tolerance means the drug has stopped working and you need more of it to deliver the therapeutic effect required. However, if you increase you dose, you will most likely become tolerant to the higher dose requiring another increase. The best course of action is probably to taper off. Generally we recommend a taper of no more than 5-10% of each new daily dose, every two weeks. Please let us know how we can help you.