Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Covid setback anyone use valerian with success?

[Li...]

I had a bad case of Covid 2 weeks ago. This time it severely affected my nervous system and gut. I’m 18 months off Valium and I’m in the worst wave yet. I had mostly healed but was starting to have some issues due to stress but this is another level that I’m experiencing. I’m having reactions to foods that I was able to eat before and many different medicines and supplements set me off all during my taper. I’d read where Pepcid was helpful in Covid gut symptoms but I took one and now my CNS is set off. I have valerian root and I was wondering if it’s a safe one to take. I’m getting desperate and discouraged for the first time in my benzo journey. I’ve had 6 days in the last two weeks of almost no sleep because of extreme anxiety which surprisingly I didn’t have much anxiety during my whole ordeal until recently. I was starting to have some from stressful events but the Covid seems to have set it off to another level. I’m to the point that I just need relief, I’m walking my daughter down the isle 2 weeks from today and I’d love to be present and enjoy the day without going back to benzos, something I said I’d never do. This is so brutal I’m completely in disbelief that it’s happening to me. Thanks for any and all advice. 

Edited by [Li...]
Misspelled words

[Re...]
2 hours ago, [[L...] said:

I had a bad case of Covid 2 weeks ago. This time it severely affected my nervous system and gut. I’m 18 months off Valium and I’m in the worst wave yet. I had mostly healed but was starting to have some issues due to stress but this is another level that I’m experiencing. I’m having reactions to foods that I was able to eat before and many different medicines and supplements set me off all during my taper. I’d read where Pepcid was helpful in Covid gut symptoms but I took one and now my CNS is set off. I have valerian root and I was wondering if it’s a safe one to take. I’m getting desperate and discouraged for the first time in my benzo journey. I’ve had 6 days in the last two weeks of almost no sleep because of extreme anxiety which surprisingly I didn’t have much anxiety during my whole ordeal until recently. I was starting to have some from stressful events but the Covid seems to have set it off to another level. I’m to the point that I just need relief, I’m walking my daughter down the isle 2 weeks from today and I’d love to be present and enjoy the day without going back to benzos, something I said I’d never do. This is so brutal I’m completely in disbelief that it’s happening to me. Thanks for any and all advice. 

Valerian would be a risky choice. It acts on the same part of the brain as benzos. I would predict if you try it that it would make things worse not better based on what you are sharing. I suggest that you read about it on the Benzo Information Coalition website before making any decisions. It's also possible that your food sensitivities are related to histamine issues triggered by the underlying benzodiazepine injury.

Pepcid crosses the blood-brain barrier. I have heard negative stories regarding Pepcid in this community.

My hunch is if you do nothing the wave will pass on its own. Desperation can often lead us into deeper holes. I can speak from experience on this one.

• Like 2

[Li...]
19 hours ago, [[R...] said:

Valerian would be a risky choice. It acts on the same part of the brain as benzos. I would predict if you try it that it would make things worse not better based on what you are sharing. I suggest that you read about it on the Benzo Information Coalition website before making any decisions. It's also possible that your food sensitivities are related to histamine issues triggered by the underlying benzodiazepine injury.

Pepcid crosses the blood-brain barrier. I have heard negative stories regarding Pepcid in this community.

My hunch is if you do nothing the wave will pass on its own. Desperation can often lead us into deeper holes. I can speak from experience on this one.

Thanks, I’m going to try and wait it out. I know that Covid has somehow changed something about how I metabolize foods and drugs. I’ve used CBD for years to sleep and now it has an opposite effect. The only other mental  drug I’m on is Lamictal and it’s no longer as effective and the doctor is probably going to adjust my dose. This has been a brutal wave, the worse I’ve had in this whole ordeal. I was able to keep myself grounded during my taper and withdrawal, not an easy task but I managed because I was able to reason. Since I had Covid I can’t think and my moods and behaviors change throughout the day with nights being worse. My anxiety levels were tolerable during taper and withdrawal but now I’m turned up to 11 almost constantly which I think just causes anxiety about anxiety loops. That and I have several important events coming up that I want to be well enough to attend without this heavy dark cloud hanging over me. 

[Re...]
3 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Thanks, I’m going to try and wait it out. I know that Covid has somehow changed something about how I metabolize foods and drugs. I’ve used CBD for years to sleep and now it has an opposite effect. The only other mental  drug I’m on is Lamictal and it’s no longer as effective and the doctor is probably going to adjust my dose. This has been a brutal wave, the worse I’ve had in this whole ordeal. I was able to keep myself grounded during my taper and withdrawal, not an easy task but I managed because I was able to reason. Since I had Covid I can’t think and my moods and behaviors change throughout the day with nights being worse. My anxiety levels were tolerable during taper and withdrawal but now I’m turned up to 11 almost constantly which I think just causes anxiety about anxiety loops. That and I have several important events coming up that I want to be well enough to attend without this heavy dark cloud hanging over me. 

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. It sounds like there could be some other complicating factors due to the CBD and Lamictal. It might be worthwhile to speak with someone like benzo coach Angela Peacock if you haven’t already.

Edited by [Re...]