Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need advice on how to taper off lorazepam 0.5 mg

[gf...]

Hello,

I started taking lorazepam 0.25mg three months ago. I was taking it twice a week for anxiety disorder but for the month of March, I started taking it twice daily. I need advice on how to taper off this medication. Thanks 

Edited by [gf...]
It was too long

[Re...]

Hello @[gf...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies! 
I am glad you found us!

I moved your thread to the Taper Strategies part of the Forum, as this is dedicated to taper planning. 

You have been on the medication for 3 months, you might be able to taper the medication faster than some of our members. A taper rate, with small reductions, that follows your symptoms (or the lack thereof) is, however, the best way to approach the reduction. General information about tapering benzodiazepines is summarized here

Do you have any experience when it comes to benzodiazepines, tapering or other psychiatric medications? Did you have problems if so? 

I hope our Buddies with experience tapering from lorazepam will comment soon. 

RR

[gf...]
Posted (edited)

Hi RR,

Thanks for the advice. Lorazepam is my first Psy meds. I'm a 61 year old male who had open heart surgeries. I contacted my psychiatrist and she recommends reducing my dose by half . It's been 26 hours since my last .5 dose and I have minor headache & muscle tension. 

Edited by [gf...]
Forgot to mention my open heart surgery

[9c...]
18 minutes ago, [[g...] said:

Hi RR,

Thanks for the advice. Lorazepam is my first Psy meds. I'm a 61 year old male who had open heart surgeries. I contacted my psychiatrist and she recommends reducing my dose by half . It's been 26 hours since my last .5 dose. 

Hi, it all depends on how is your body responding. Do you feel any withdrawal symptoms after 26 hours of reducing 50%?

Lorazepam has a short life and you should have felt it already. I you feel good and no symptoms, i would stay in that dose for 4 or 5 days and go ahead and get rid of it as fast as you can, always carefully and keep cutting in half and wait 4 or 5 days to see if everything is all right and then cut again.

I tried to do that but it was too late for me and when i started cutting i got withdrawal symptoms more and more severe as i kept cutting.

I hope is not late for you and you can come off this poison safely and dogde a cannon ball.

Edited by Guest

[gf...]

I currently have some headache & muscle tension. I think I should take my reduced dose before more symptoms shows up

10 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

Hi, it all depends on how is your body responding. Do you feel any withdrawal symptoms after 26 hours of reducing 50%?

Lorazepam has a short life and you should have felt it already. I you feel good and no symptoms, i would stay in that dose for 4 or 5 days and go ahead and get rid of it as fast as you can, always carefully and keep cutting in half and wait 4 or 5 days to see if everything is all right and then cut again.

I tried to do that but it was too late for me and when i started cutting i got withdrawal symptoms more and more severe as i kept cutting.

I hope is not late for you and you can come off this poison safely and dogde a cannon ball.

• Like 1

[9c...]
16 minutes ago, [[g...] said:

I currently have some headache & muscle tension. I think I should take my reduced dose before more symptoms shows up

Your case seems so hopefull. If you feel mild symptoms stay in that reduced dose for a few days and see how it goes. It would be nice and important, if you dont feel worse, not to increase you doses a day (if you are taking it twice a day, dont take any extra doses) and neither updose. Try to stay a few days and taper again if possible. 

I hope you can do it.

Edited by Guest

[ns...]
5 hours ago, [[g...] said:

Hello,

I started taking lorazepam 0.25mg three months ago. I was taking it twice a week for anxiety disorder but for the month of March, I started taking it twice daily. I need advice on how to taper off this medication. Thanks 

Hi gforce, sorry to hear your going through this with lorazapam.

I'm tapering lorazepam and it's been a long road for me.

Your daily dose in March of 0.25mg is enough to cause withdrawal. It may or may not be the case for you.

You said you have anxiety correct?

What was the reason you changed your dose to twice a day? Did your anxiety increase, stress in your life lately?

A 50% reduction is too much too fast in my opinion. 

Do you have enough of the lorazapam to slow down a bit and taper off.

If not, will your doctor prescribe another month or 2?

If not, can you find a benzo wise physician that you can see for this?

It would be great if you can just jump off of the lorazapam at this stage, however it could cause you some discomfort. Withdrawal affects everyone differently and hopefully with your short use you won't have too long of a withdrawal. Even with short term use however, withdrawal symptoms can be difficult. 

I chimed in here because I know how difficult withdrawal from lorazapam can be. 

If you wait it out and find you have to go back on the drug, im concerned you might have to go back and start over causing you a long term taper.

I would caution you to consider slowing things down a bit. If it were me, I would continue my daily dose and start reducing it maybe 10%, wait to see how it affects me and go from there. It may be a pretty fast taper given your short use but I'd hate to see you go thru a long drawn out taper. 

If your symptoms are already difficult, then you are probably in it for a bit. If you can handle these symptoms, like continue working or getting along with your day to day you'll probably be ok and the symptoms will hopefully lessen over time. We can never be sure how it will go.

Only you know how you feel and how much your able to tolerate. 

Please consider this ok. I know your anxious to be done with it after reading posts here, but it's better to make an informed and safe decision right?

If you decide to taper a little slower, post on taper strategy that you need help  tapering lorazepam ok

There are many here who can help you and all have varying experiences that im sure will drop by to add there opinions. 

Take care ok

Ns

[gf...]
Posted (edited)

Hi NS,

Thank you so much the the reply. I increased my dosage in March because my anxiety got worse & 0.25 didn't help. My current symptoms with the reduced dosage are brain fog, fatigue,  back ache & some pressure in my ears. I'll  keep posting here. I'm so blessed to be here.

Edited by [gf...]
To correct spelling
  • Like 1

[ns...]
16 minutes ago, [[g...] said:

Hi NS,

Thank you so much the the reply. I increased my dosage in March because my anxiety got worse & 0.25 didn't help. My current symptoms with the reduced dosage are brain fog, fatigue,  back ache & some pressure in my ears. I'll  keep posting here. I'm so blessed to be here.

Hi gforce, I'm sorry your going thru it.

Sounds like your not feeling well ND I'm so sorry. I do hope your symptoms decrease soon.

There are alternatives to medicines.

TMS and talk therapy for example. 

I watch trey Jones anxiety on YouTube if yoyr interested, he's very helpful!

Try not to get too focused on those symptoms ok, distraction is best for withdrawal symptoms.

Anxiety is different, distraction isn't a good idea when we're learning to beat anxiety. 

For withdrawal, practice gratitude and distraction. Keep your hands busy, your mind occupied ok.

Try to go on about your life as best you can. I know your probably a little nervous about this right now.  Try to remember, it's our central nervous system that's being affected and you will be ok

I'm safe, I'm uncomfortable but I'll be ok

Repeat this often ok

Take care

Ns

[gf...]

Hi NS, thank you so much for your support & advice ❤️

• Like 1

[gf...]

Hi NS, I just watched one of the Trey video & found out I have health anxiety. Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

[gf...]

I need advice when should I reduce my dose again? This is my 2nd day at the reduced dose of 0.25. still experiencing withdrawal symptoms GI issue, brain fog & muscle tension. 

• Like 1

[ns...]
37 minutes ago, [[g...] said:

I need advice when should I reduce my dose again? This is my 2nd day at the reduced dose of 0.25. still experiencing withdrawal symptoms GI issue, brain fog & muscle tension. 

Hi gforce, I'm so sorry your going thru it!

How much did you reduce? Meaning, what dose did you cut and how much?

How many x per day? I'm not clear on this ok so fill me in as much as possible 

[ns...]
1 minute ago, [[n...] said:

Hi gforce, I'm so sorry your going thru it!

How much did you reduce? Meaning, what dose did you cut and how much?

How many x per day? I'm not clear on this ok so fill me in as much as possible 

So.your at twice per day 0.25mg? How are you cutting your dose and are you weighing them?

Do you have a scale? A file?

[ns...]
Just now, [[n...] said:

So.your at twice per day 0.25mg? How are you cutting your dose and are you weighing them?

Do you have a scale? A file?

Ok I've gone back over your post. 

This is only your second day. I'm not clear how much you cut but you shouldn't cut again until you're stable. 

Thus can take time and is different for everyone. 

Stable means for most that you're able to go on about your daily life, chores, shopping showering etc. Fir me, I never stabilize, I get more clarity in my mind but that's about it so,it depends. 

You'll know when you've stabilized. 

Need to know how much you cut and from how much? See comments above 

[gf...]

Dr prescribed 0.5 per day. I was breaking it in half & take it once or twice a day. I started taking it twice a day in March.

• Like 1

[ns...]
13 minutes ago, [[g...] said:

Dr prescribed 0.5 per day. I was breaking it in half & take it once or twice a day. I started taking it twice a day in March.

Ok. Sorry I list my comments to you. 

Ok I'm adding a link for a scale and a file Ok

Your going to hsve to cut and shave these doses. You very much need to be consistent with the weight of every dose.

Every little dose packs a punch as you've probably already discovered. 

Get the scale and file, come back here and we'll assist in weighing and dose schedule Ok

There's no set time for you to.cut. your not stable right now so don't be concerned about when to cut right now Ok

You have anxiety so try not to focus on this, or your symptoms. 

Change your focus Ok

Watch trey Jones some more, get some tools for your anxiety. 

Here are the links for Amazon 

Ill be watching for your post ok, if you have any questions or concerns, just post here. Wete probably goung to have some questions for you going forward regarding your tabs weight etc 

take care ok 

ns

Lobodt Stainless Steel Nail File, Double-Sided Nail File, Metal Nail File, Reusable Natural Nail Art File, Nail Art Tool, Home Salon or Travel Mini Nail File Suitable for Both Men and Women 
https://a.co/d/ajTLJBi

Smart Weigh GEM20-20g x 0.001 grams, High Precision Digital Milligram Jewelry Scale, Reloading, Jewelry and Gems Scale, Calibration Weights and Tweezers Included 
https://a.co/d/4jmoRf8

[gf...]

O.5 mg pills are very small & fragile. I don't think I can shave it. It crumbles easily..Dr will talk to me Monday.

[ns...]
11 minutes ago, [[g...] said:

O.5 mg pills are very small & fragile. I don't think I can shave it. It crumbles easily..Dr will talk to me Monday.

Hi gforce, yrs mine are too.  I'll be crushing mine to powder soon. The scale will help with this. It's difficult to shave these I know. There so tiny. Mine are 0.19, very tiny but my fingers are small. I hold the file and use the shave the pill against the file. Easier 

You get the knack of after awhile. I make several I'm advance. 

Hopefully you can do this too.

If not. You could ground them down. 

You'll need a scale though ok

Take care

Ns

[gf...]

Ok. I'll try it. I'll talk to psychiatrist Monday.

Thanks again for the advice.

[gf...]

Woke up sweating & anxious at 5am . Is this a symptom of WD ? When is best time to take reduce dose? I took it at 2pm yesterday. 

[Ka...]

Hello @[gf...] yes sweating & anxiety can be due to WD.

Due to 1/2 life of lorazepam it’s good to keep to a regular dosing schedule & make a note of symptoms that crop up.

If you choose a time for a dose reduction then best stick with it so your system adjusts. Keeping same equal distant space between dosing is preferable. It’s a gradual process & going slow & steady will help you achieve a taper that will hopefully be straightforward for you. 

• Like 2

[Ka...]

No problem. They may be small fiddly little pills but I’ve learnt, albeit hard way, keeping to a sensible plan is really best. Good luck 

• Like 1

[gf...]
Posted (edited)

The symptoms I'm going through now , I wonder is it all due to withdrawal or my anxiety is get worse ? I made a mistake by going cold turkey the first day. Should have slow taper. 

Edited by [gf...]
  • Like 1