Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Xanax taper question

Hello everyone!

I have been taking .25-.50 mg Xanax daily for 6 weeks (old prescription). Ive been suffering from extreme anxiety, depression and insomnia. It has helped tremendously.

For the past 2 weeks, I have not taken more than .25mg daily as I am trying to taper off. So far,so good...

I also have been taking Lexapro prescribed by my personal Dr. for 8 weeks and it seems to be helping finally.

I have my 1st appointment with my psychiatrist next week. I feel like I already have a plan in motion and will try to enlist her help and expertise. Does anyone have experience switching to Valium during taper because of the longer half life? I have read the Ashton Manual and was going to ask my Psych Dr. to prescribe me the Valium. 

I realize I haven't been taking Xanax for long and I'm at a low dose, but I want to try and get off and stay off before the withdrawals get potentially brutal.

Any and all advice would help here before my appointment.

Thanks in advance!

[Bu...]

Hello @[...],

Welcome to Benzobuddies.

It sounds like you have a good plan and being familiar with the Ashton Manual is a huge advantage in this process.  I'll get your account going so those who have experience of switching to Valium can offer some advice.

This is a very supportive and knowledgeable community and we'll do our best to help you.  We're glad you're here.

17 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hello @[...],

Welcome to Benzobuddies.

It sounds like you have a good plan and being familiar with the Ashton Manual is a huge advantage in this process.  I'll get your account going so those who have experience of switching to Valium can offer some advice.

This is a very supportive and knowledgeable community and we'll do our best to help you.  We're glad you're here.

Thank You! 😁