Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Withdrawal or not withdrawal?

[Sc...]

Hello friends,

I’ve been scouring through hours of posts on here for a few days.  The support offered by this community is excellent.  I’m hoping I can describe what I’ve been going through to get some feedback on whether my symptoms are consistent with benzo withdrawal.  I apologize if I’m being redundant, but I haven’t found any posts on here exactly like my situation.  Here goes:

I started taking Ativan mid-December 2023.  Got some harsh news regarding a family members health, and the Ativan helped me through a rough week.  I took .5 mg per day for a few days, and then intermittently would take 1/2 or less of that amount every 2-3 days at night to help me sleep over a 3 month period.  I’m in an ongoing caregiver situation still, but as my prescription was dwindling, I started taking the.25 dose less frequently.  During the last few weeks of that 3 month period I started experiencing a very slight dizzy feeling.  Not quite vertigo, but small and infrequent short (1 sec) bursts of what I could describe as feeling like I’m on a boat -very infrequently though.  My home situation is still ongoing, but it has normalized (I’ve gotten used to it) so I stopped taking the Ativan altogether.  For the past 2-3 weeks the feeling I described has become more frequent.  Also, I have a sensation in my head sometimes that I could annoying describe as a light/heavy headed feeling.   It comes and goes, some days are worse than others.  My only other symptom is a subtle inability to focus, like when trying to read for example.  I’m able to read, but it’s like my eyes want to jump around the page a bit.  I realize that all of these symptoms are consistent with anxiety, and it’s certainly a factor based on what I’ve been going through at home.  However, I’ve had anxiety before, and this is a little different.  For example, my heart rate and bp will be normal, and I don’t have the adrenaline/cortisol feeling, but I still have my described symptoms sometimes.  The symptoms seem to be exacerbated immediately after eating for a little while.  Kind of like a BP drop, but my BP is normal.

Anyway, that’s my story.  I understand that what I’m going through is minor compared to much of what I’ve read on this forum.  If anyone on here takes the time to read this and feels like they have some insight on whether my symptoms might be withdrawal, I would really appreciate it.  I recently had some blood work done for an upcoming physical exam, so I’ll likely wait until then to see my doctor.  It would be a good peace of mind for me if I learned from others that what is happening is normal withdrawal symptoms based on my dosage amount and length.

Thank you all.

[Br...]

Hello @[Sc...] and welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm sorry you're going through such a stressful time right now. I'm sure feeling isolated with questions about benzo withdrawal has contributed to a sense of uneasiness.  So I'm very glad you've found us!  

What you describe sounds to me like normal benzo withdrawal symptoms. I have a couple of questions to help us understand what's going on with you.  Have you ever started and stopped a benzodiazepine before?  Have you started and stopped any other medications recently?  

Below are a couple of links with information about withdrawal symptoms.  The important thing to remind yourself is that the symptoms are signs of your system repairing and readjusting after benzos and the symptoms are temporary.  With time they will ease up and fade away.

Please be sure to ask lots of questions and reach out for support.  You'll find warm support here from others who understand what you're going through as no one else can who hasn't been through it themselves.  We're glad you're here!

The Ashton Manual Chapter III; Withdrawal Symptoms

Benzo Post Withdrawal Symptoms - Benzodiazepine Information Coalition

[Sc...]

Thank you @[Br...] for your reply!  

To answer your questions:

10 or 15 years ago I had a panic attack for the first time.  I was an adult, and it scared the crap out of me, which turned into anticipatory anxiety.   I took Ativan for a while during that period ( I don’t remember time specifics).  My anxiety then was health related - thought something physically was wrong.  Took me a few years to get straight through exercise, healthy lifestyle, etc, which I continue until now.  I recall the anxiety spiking after stopping Ativan then, but I don’t remember how much I was on and for how long.  I believed (probably erroneously) that I was treading lightly this time around with my Ativan dosage, based on my vague recollection of my experience years ago.  Also, the anxiety I’ve had this time around is directly related to my family’s health situation - it just hits a little different than thinking I’m having a heart attack.  Long winded way of saying yes, I did start and stop Ativan previously.

Re: Other medications:
I started taking Nexium about a month prior to taking the Ativan this time around.  I was on it for a few months, and I stopped because initially I thought maybe my dizziness was from that.  So, certainly it could be a factor.  I’ve been managing my reflux in different ways (diet, tums as needed etc).

Thanks again.  Hope I answered your questions.  Look forward to any feedback.

[ns...]
3 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Hello friends,

I’ve been scouring through hours of posts on here for a few days.  The support offered by this community is excellent.  I’m hoping I can describe what I’ve been going through to get some feedback on whether my symptoms are consistent with benzo withdrawal.  I apologize if I’m being redundant, but I haven’t found any posts on here exactly like my situation.  Here goes:

I started taking Ativan mid-December 2023.  Got some harsh news regarding a family members health, and the Ativan helped me through a rough week.  I took .5 mg per day for a few days, and then intermittently would take 1/2 or less of that amount every 2-3 days at night to help me sleep over a 3 month period.  I’m in an ongoing caregiver situation still, but as my prescription was dwindling, I started taking the.25 dose less frequently.  During the last few weeks of that 3 month period I started experiencing a very slight dizzy feeling.  Not quite vertigo, but small and infrequent short (1 sec) bursts of what I could describe as feeling like I’m on a boat -very infrequently though.  My home situation is still ongoing, but it has normalized (I’ve gotten used to it) so I stopped taking the Ativan altogether.  For the past 2-3 weeks the feeling I described has become more frequent.  Also, I have a sensation in my head sometimes that I could annoying describe as a light/heavy headed feeling.   It comes and goes, some days are worse than others.  My only other symptom is a subtle inability to focus, like when trying to read for example.  I’m able to read, but it’s like my eyes want to jump around the page a bit.  I realize that all of these symptoms are consistent with anxiety, and it’s certainly a factor based on what I’ve been going through at home.  However, I’ve had anxiety before, and this is a little different.  For example, my heart rate and bp will be normal, and I don’t have the adrenaline/cortisol feeling, but I still have my described symptoms sometimes.  The symptoms seem to be exacerbated immediately after eating for a little while.  Kind of like a BP drop, but my BP is normal.

Anyway, that’s my story.  I understand that what I’m going through is minor compared to much of what I’ve read on this forum.  If anyone on here takes the time to read this and feels like they have some insight on whether my symptoms might be withdrawal, I would really appreciate it.  I recently had some blood work done for an upcoming physical exam, so I’ll likely wait until then to see my doctor.  It would be a good peace of mind for me if I learned from others that what is happening is normal withdrawal symptoms based on my dosage amount and length.

Thank you all.

Hi Schmeck, sorry to hear your having these symptoms. 

I agree with brighterday as it does sound a bit like your having withdrawal symptoms. Doesn't sound like there too intense so that's a good sign.

Your under stress understandably which could be contributing to your symptoms. I have this brain fog as i call it symptom sometimes, and it seems to be causing low bp as well. Seems to also affect my breathing as well, like shortness of breath. But it's off and on. It will go away soon I'm sure.

you basically went cold turkey as we call it here, you stopped the Ativan with out really any taper so it was abrupt and probably gave a little jolt to your system. Benzos affect the gaba in the brain and our central nervous system is also affected. 

I think the symptoms your experiencing will diminish and you should be fine. Try not to focus too much on this ok. You are healing!

its good you stopped the Ativan though. Be happy you didn't stay on it and have to taper off later on. Good for you!

Glad to hear your seeing your doctor soon. Hopefully you'll have some piece of mind from your doctor. Reassurance is always a positive thing. 

I hope your not considering going back on the Ativan or any other benzo for that matter unless there is no other treatment option available to you.

You've successfully, but quickly weaned off of it with few symptoms and I would like you to know that most here would be happy to be in your shoes regarding this.

Once you receive your good report from your doctor, i hope you can just let the symptoms move on without causing too much concern for you, it will get better in time.

Just a side note, if you suffer from anxiety, there are treatment options other than medication. Some benefit from TMS, others from talk therapy. 

There are also videos online as well which I've found very helpful, as well as a few others here.

There are many here to talk to. If only for reassurance, we're here for you.

Take care 

Ns

• Like 1

[Br...]

Hi @[Sc...] - It sounds like you're about 3 weeks out from your last dose after about 3 months of taking Ativan intermittently.  It appears you did a rapid taper but I wouldn't call it a cold turkey.  It's not surprising you're experiencing withdrawal symptoms. But again, they are temporary.  Your system will take time to heal and you will need patience and good self care as you go through this.  But you will get there.

The reason I asked about prior experience is that starting and stopping a benzo can make subsequent withdrawals more challenging.  So if you had mild symptoms after quitting previously they may be more intense this time.  It doesn't mean you won't heal - it's just an explanation.    It's known as "kindling" - it's very common and many of us have been affected by it.  If you'd like to read more about it here's a good link: Kindling

I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this.  I went through something very similar with health anxiety and being a caregiver to a family member on hospice.  My heart goes out to you.  You'll get through this.  You'll find a lot of support and good information here, including ideas for coping with symptoms.

• Like 2